Fully Comprehensive Car Insurance

Topman1546081267

Hi,

Just a quick question not sure if this is the right place and the question may have even been asked before. (Mod's please redirect if it's the wrong place)

I am looking at fully comprehensive car insurance at the moment with a view to buy my own car and I am aged 19. If I chose to go fully comp, I think this allows you to drive third party on other cars that are not registered to you. (I may be wrong that's why I am asking) Just for arguments sake what stops me jumping into a group 21 car for example something like a Ferrari or something like that which would be tens of thousands to insure for me or maybe not even insurable at my age, and saying I am insured fully comp to which I would be on my own car which would be a 1 litre Corsa or something of sort.

What's the law on this or is it something that will be in the policy somewhere?

I don't wish to do something like this I am just asking the question that's all.

Cheers

Oliver

Edited by Oliver Topman

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JP7

• Topman1546081267

Not all fully comp policies allow you to drive other cars. Especially at 19.

There will most likely be restrictions, a lot of companies are clamping down on it too, giving cover in emergencies only.

Yes, it is common for comprehensive policies to give you third party cover on other cars - however, the entitlements and caveats will vary from policy to policy, so the short answer is...check the small print.

At 19, very few, if any insurance firms will give you the 3rd party for any vehicle concession. The reason is for doing exactly as you describe, buying a small cheap car and then jumpings in mums/dads/mates much more powerful car. I'm 19 and don't plan on getting that right any time soon, my brother is 22 and has been told he'll be lucky to get it next time he renews!

This depends on whether it's the odd bit here and there, or if you planned on driving another vehicle quite regularly. The offence is very similar to "fronting" which amounts to fraud.

The same rules kind of apply to your example of fronting, whereby if you are not the main driver of a vehicle but drive it for a disproportionate period (for fronting it's roughtly 50%) then you are committing fraud.

Doing 300 miles in your Dads volvo 3rd party shouldn't be a bother, but would upset him if you pranged it!

What's the law on this or is it something that will be in the policy somewhere?

To answer that, it starts with your policy, and when you break that then it can often be illegal. There are certain things the insurer will still have to do, such as third party liability.

This depends on whether it's the odd bit here and there, or if you planned on driving another vehicle quite regularly. The offence is very similar to "fronting" which amounts to fraud.

The same rules kind of apply to your example of fronting, whereby if you are not the main driver of a vehicle but drive it for a disproportionate period (for fronting it's roughtly 50%) then you are committing fraud.

Doing 300 miles in your Dads volvo 3rd party shouldn't be a bother, but would upset him if you pranged it!

Yes I am very aware of fronting, I think a lot of people are very unaware especially young people that they are actually committing an offence by fronting

As I say I don't actually wish to do it as I will have my own car but it was just a thought that's all :lol:

From direct line:

DOC cover is provided for motorists to use other vehicles or to allow another motorist to drive their car when they are in an emergency situation.

Emma Holyer, Motor Spokesperson for Direct Line commented: “We don’t want to leave our customers stuck if they are in an emergency situation and so we will continue to provide our customers with cover.

DOC = driving other cars.

It may be hard for them to prove, but if they can, you've committed fraud.

Yes I am very aware of fronting, I think a lot of people are very unaware especially young people that they are actually committing an offence by fronting

As I say I don't actually wish to do it as I will have my own car but it was just a thought that's all :lol:

They are equally unaware sometimes that it's only 3rd party cover (if provided) on other vehicles! Sad really....

• Like 1

Yeah your right 5460 not many people know, and thanks for providing that information +1 for that :lol:

As has been pointed out its all in the small print exactly what they will and won't cover you for. Just because you're fully comp doesn't mean you automatically have cover to drive another vehicle third party.

Normally insurance companies will not allow you to drive 3rd party on other vehicles registered at the same address.

With a lot of insurers you will find that you don't get 3rd party cover for other vehicles with a comprehensive policy until you are 25 years old.

• Like 1

Moved to help me.

Almost all companies only allow DOC cover once you're 25. However, if I remember correctly, Bell Direct allow under 25s to add DOC to their policy for an extra charge. It's worth a look if the extra cover is really important to you.

• Like 2

something I have thought about before is why don't they sell insurance policies that cover a person rather than a car?

i.e. you take out a policy that lets you, the induvidual, drive any car up to a certain size/power. Every driver needs a policy. It would stop "fronting" and it would stop question marks over driving other vehicles 3rd party on fully comp policies etc.

something I have thought about before is why don't they sell insurance policies that cover a person rather than a car?

i.e. you take out a policy that lets you, the induvidual, drive any car up to a certain size/power. Every driver needs a policy. It would stop "fronting" and it would stop question marks over driving other vehicles 3rd party on fully comp policies etc.

Traders policies?