Engine Ticking Noise

carty23

Hi Guys,

Basically, when I turn the engine to my car on, I get a 'ticking noise'.

My car is a 2004 Corsa 1.0

I've never really took any notice to this until I pulled up at my house to park tonight and my neighbour told me to take it to the garage asap.

I've just took a video of it now and uploaded it: http://www.youtube.com/user/carty23?feature=mhee#p/a/u/0/Zy4X4o-IlOs

What I want to know is, is this normal?

I've got it booked in at my local vauxhall garage tomorrow, but I just want a heads up as to whether it's something serious.

I only bought the car from my vauxhall lookers dealer on 1st June this year. It's done low mileage for its age (24k).

Many thanks in advance,

Chris.

Edited by carty23

If it's the 3 cylinder version then that sounds fairly similar to mine.

It does sound odd compared to a 4 cylinder and the guys at work (including MT section) expressed concern until I said it's a 3 cylinder and they all went "ahh that explains it". 3 Cylinder engines will always sound like they are ticking simply because at normal idle there are less cylinders firing in a given time period and the gap between each one becomes more obvious and it is easier for the ear to separate out each one so the engine does sound like it is ticking as opposed to purring.

However, a recorded sound is never the same as hearing it up close. If you are concerned at all by it then get it checked out at a garage.

I think it probably needs the timing chain adjusted. Normally about £80.

Not 100% as I'm not sure if the 1litre engines have them but i know the 1.2litres do.

I think it probably needs the timing chain adjusted. Normally about £80.

Not 100% as I'm not sure if the 1litre engines have them but i know the 1.2litres do.

yeah the 1 litres have a timing chain

Petrol or diesel?

Petrol

Thanks for the replies so far guys :aok:

Edited by carty23

Also check you oil levels, my astra with the 1.6 16v ecotec engine sounded like that when it had an oil leak, basically running on a dry sump.

If it's the 3 cylinder version then that sounds fairly similar to mine.

Yeah it's a 3 cylinder mate

Also check you oil levels, my astra with the 1.6 16v ecotec engine sounded like that when it had an oil leak, basically running on a dry sump.

Checked my oil and it's full.

I second what the other person said then, get your timing checked just to be sure.

Edited by AlexTheKnightUK

Booked in for 10:45 tomorrow.

Hopefully it's what Burnie said!

Edited by carty23

Right guys,

I took it in and instead of booking it in, I asked if an engineer/mechanic could come out and take a look.

The chief one came out from vauxhall lookers and ran my engine, had a little fiddle around and said that due to it only being a 3 cylinder there is an imbalance and therefore the noise it's making is absolutely fine. He said there is nothing wrong with it and we get lots of people booking their car in with the same problem but unfortunately because it's a 3 cylinder the engine will make the noise. He gave it a few revs and said he's happy for it not to come in. He told me that if I couldn't stomach the noise anymore after a while, then by all means bring it in and they will try to get some way around it but even then it will still make a noise.

He did tell me to top up my engine coolant though. I asked would I need to buy it from Halfords (it's like a orangey liquid) and he told me it's fine topping it up with water. Is this true?

Edited by carty23

Good mechanic - nice to find one that doesnt suck his teeth in that way that only mechanics can, and then tell you its going to cost a gazillion quid to fix it !!