Driving Test!

Nickyc

I have just decided to take my driving test, in order to allow me to have a wider range of duties i can carry out, and i was wondering, does anyone have any tips/things to look out for/make sure you can do and know for your driving test?

Thanks,

Nick

I have just decided to take my driving test, in order to allow me to have a wider range of duties i can carry out, and i was wondering, does anyone have any tips/things to look out for/make sure you can do and know for your driving test?

Thanks,

Nick

Hi Nickyc

My advice would be... Do EVERYTHING your instructor has ever told you to do... but over do it X100!!!!! when looking in you're mirrors make it obvious (an old trick i was told was slightly move it so its not in the correct place so you have to move your head slightly so the tester notices your looking!)

Down in Surrey the examiners were always very Picky on Mirror, Signal, Manouvere.. .aslong as you did this,and stuck to the limits i dont see why you wouldnt pass!!!

Basically.. Suck up to the tester by doing everything they WANT to see!

i know it sounds obvious but once your nerves kick in and the habits youve picked up (even though minor) through lessons kick in, its easily messed up!

AND dont panic.... You'll pass!!! :whistle:

J444MYY

when looking in you're mirrors make it obvious (an old trick i was told was slightly move it so its not in the correct place so you have to move your head slightly so the tester notices your looking!)

Noooooo! Urban myth. Think. What about the one - critical - time when you don't make the unnecessary exaggerated movement yet have seen the mirror anyway, but for which the examiner hasn't seen you make a move?

Well, that's my opinion.

Edited by David

Hi Nickyc

My advice would be... Do EVERYTHING your instructor has ever told you to do... but over do it X100!!!!!

That is bad, it makes you seem nervous and under confident.

when looking in you're mirrors make it obvious (an old trick i was told was slightly move it so its not in the correct place so you have to move your head slightly so the tester notices your looking!)

Again, how long does it take you to look in your mirrors? A split second, if you have to stare into the mirror you're more likely to go into the back of things.

Down in Surrey the examiners were always very Picky on Mirror, Signal, Manouvere.. .aslong as you did this,and stuck to the limits i dont see why you wouldnt pass!!!

Failing to make progress, causing another road user inconvienece, i.e. to have to slow down or take evasive action. The expectation these days is that where possible you travel at the speed limit. So, if you're on a single lane carriageway on a national limit and it's safe to do so, do 60. Doddering around at 45 can get you a fail.

Basically.. Suck up to the tester by doing everything they WANT to see!

Which is what? Unless you've been briefed then you won't know.

I did my civi driving test with a driving examiner from defence driving school down at Bovington who's nickname was Hitler and my test took around 1h15m. I was taught by a civi instructor and the simple thing is this, if you are competent they will want to pass you. Make sure you spend enough time practicing your manouvering as it's something people don't do. Observation is key but don't look in your mirrors for the sake of looking in them, get to want to know what's around you.

I got 4 minors, one of which was incorrect use of vehicle controls, or, leaving the wipers on too long.

No, I thought that he might think I was taking the mickey and bin me.

Give commentary?

It won't score you any points, but I don't think there would be any real harm in doing this. Also in situations where they want you to use the mirrors and you've been saying "mirror" and then do not say mirror you've just removed any benefit of the doubt they may give you. Its worth noting here they are not looking for a class 1 tactical pursuit driver, they're looking for an adequate everyday driver. For those of us used to travelling in police vehicles (those that do blue light runs anyway) it can warp your sense of speed. You need to be aware of that. If you're completely perfect in everything your doing and give a good quality commentary by all means rub it right in their faces.

My advice would be this. During the test you can make 15 minors and no serious or dangerous faults. A dangerous/serious fault is generally one where you cause another motorist to change speed or direction. Avoid that, one good tip with that is always to take the imitative when meeting traffic (ie pulling in when there is only enough room for one car to pass). I honestly think you'd struggle to build up 16 minors in one test. The main thing to remember is that (as my old driving instructor used to say) "You want to show Mr examiner that you have as much right to use the roads as anyone else." I ended up having a female examiner but that is by the by. Other things to avoid, on a pedestrian crossing do not go until the pedestrian is completely off the crossing, not just having cleared your vehicle, do not stop on a pedestrian crossing. Make sure there is enough room for you to clear it at the other side.

Remember the test is pretty much innocent until proven guilty, you can not score points as such. It pays to have the manoeuvres down pat so they are easy when it comes to test. The main thing as with the rest of the test is awareness and observations. If you don't do an inch perfect manoeuvre, no big deal, make another motorist change speed or change direction, test fail.

Thanks,

Nick

Hi Nick,

I took my test in May this year and passed first time at 17. What I would say, like others, is don't panic. Take your time is another key thing! When driving in a 30 MPH zone, it is a limit not a challenge. No need to try and reach 30 and stay constant.

I never had any problems with the mirrors and I didn't even move my head to look at them, so the examiner knew I had looked at them.

I got 2 minors on my test (gears at a roundabout and undue hesitation while pulling out onto a dual carriageway from static). The gears minor was about 2 minutes into my test and I saw him pull his pen out of the pad and note something down and I kind of got worried over it thinking I had already failed. But I just put it to the back of mind and carried on. I knew from my lessons that if I did something wrong and started to dwell on it, it affected my driving as I didn't pay attention. My second minor .. well .. I was in the middle of the carriageway and was pulling out into traffic travelling at 60 - 70 MPH. There was one point I could have gone, but decided not to. It was the last car coming for a while, so I thought what is the point in trying to pull out, when I'm not 100% sure if I could accelerate in time to reach 60 MPH, when I only had to wait a little while before I could pull out safely.

As long as you keep your driving smooth and make the examiner feel relaxed, and don't do anything stupid, you will be fine.

One tip I received off my driving instructor is that if you are asked to perform a bay park, and you do so, if the examiner then asks you "are you happy with that?" it is a prompt to say "You need to pull out and line it up a bit better".

It was nerve racking for me and I could feel my heart pounding and I got all sweaty.

Another thing I would keep in the back of my mind is that if you are waiting at a junction and someone flashes you to let you go, make sure you check the other way first! I say this because you feel as though you want to exit quickly and not hinder any traffic. However, in doing so you may well forget to check the other way and if there's a car coming then ... :aok:

Finally, with regards to the independent driving, do not worry. My instructor didn't even incorporate this into my lessons because it's that simple. I pulled up at the side of the road and was given 3 directions - turn left at the roundabout, first exit, turn left at the second exist on the road and then merge onto the dual carriageway and follow your signs stating "A580 Manchester". After going through about 2 sets of traffic lights on the dual carriageway, I was told that at the next set of traffic lights I would be turning right. He gave me plenty enough time to move into the right hand lane so I would be able to turn right at the next set of lights. I was then pulled up immediately after turning right and was given another set of 3 directions. It's nothing to worry about, and if at any time you forget the directions, then it is fine to ask the examiner. Even if you go the wrong way, you will not fail. The examiner will simply give you a new set of directions to get back on course.

Out of the 4 people who went out all at the same time, I was the only one that passed. It is doable and it's not something to be stressed over (although understandably you may get a little nervous, but feel confident!)

Best of luck!

Edited by carty23