DNS Errors

E29NP1546080952

Since using Google Chrome, I appear to be getting alot more DNS error pages popping up when searching for web pages.

I called up BT who did a few tests and said my line was in perfect working order. I don't get these DNS errors on Safari or IE9

Is this a common problem with Google Chrome?

This wont help but I have had Chrome since it was launched without any problems, however, I also have started getting some DNS errors recently.

No idea why and no idea on a solution.

I've never had any issues while using Chrome, but I do use quite infrequently.

You could try using OpenDNS instead (www.opendns.com) to see if the problem is with your ISP's DNS servers. The IP addresses for the OpenDNS servers are 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220. You may actually find them quicker, plus you can sign up with them and control what gets returned on lookups, so you could block certain types of website. You don't have to sign up, it is still free to use without an account.

I find a cache flush will sort most browser problems.

I find a cache flush will sort most browser problems.

Tried that, makes no difference.

I think chrome has a habit of displaying DNS error when it's actually another error entirely.

Google Chrome will use the same DNS as IE and Safari, as it's set on your network card (probably 192.168.1.254 if you've got a HomeHub) which then acts as a DNS forwarder from BT (or your provider's own Name Servers). Chrome often displays DNS error when it's actually received corrupted information from the remote server / website you're browsing.

First thing to do is double check you're not using a proxy server and you're using automatically detect settings (if you don't have an ISA server on your network) then use downforeveryoneorjustme.com to verify the problem is on your end. If it is and you've still no joy, it's likely to be down to a bug in Chrome in your environment which will no doubt be rectified in future builds...

:backontopic:

• 6 months later...

I think chrome has a habit of displaying DNS error when it's actually another error entirely.

Google Chrome will use the same DNS as IE and Safari, as it's set on your network card (probably 192.168.1.254 if you've got a HomeHub) which then acts as a DNS forwarder from BT (or your provider's own Name Servers). Chrome often displays DNS error when it's actually received corrupted information from the remote server / website you're browsing.

First thing to do is double check you're not using a proxy server and you're using automatically detect settings (if you don't have an ISA server on your network) then use downforeveryoneorjustme.com to verify the problem is on your end. If it is and you've still no joy, it's likely to be down to a bug in Chrome in your environment which will no doubt be rectified in future builds...

:D

I know some of my end-users at work have issues on VPN because the ISP at there home hi-jack the DNS to "make better search results" which you can opt out off.... If on a windows machine do a command prompt "ipconfig /flushdns" and reset IE options.

Also try resetting your router. Worse case could be a DNS hijack virus which can be removed on a Windows machine in safe mode using this app (Free) http://security.symantec.com/nbrt/npe.aspx?

Good luck

You could try using alternate DNS servers - perhaps OpenDNS? Either in your router settings or local IP properties on the PC/laptop/device, use their servers (208.67.222.222 / 208.67.220.220).

Make sure you flush your DNS cache afterwards (ipconfig -flushdns from a CMD prompt).

Other than the fact that their servers are more reliable than a lot of ISP's own, you can apply various features to it, such as content filtering, smartcache, malware/phising/etc-protection.

EDIT:- Just read up the page a bit and noticed derbyspecials' post. Missed that, sorry!

page__view__findpost__p__2077198

Edited by R 1

I think it might be fixed by now :D

Certainly is. A replacement hub seems to have solved the problem.

• 5 weeks later...

Bear in mind that people who run alternative DNS services can in fact log and intercept your internet traffic. They can also redirect you from one website to another with no noticeable difference - I.E you type in paypal.co.uk and it sends you to the hacker's website which looks exactly the same and the browser still thinks you're on the correct website. This technique is called DNS Poisoning.

Bear in mind that people who run alternative DNS services can in fact log and intercept your internet traffic. They can also redirect you from one website to another with no noticeable difference - I.E you type in paypal.co.uk and it sends you to the hacker's website which looks exactly the same and the browser still thinks you're on the correct website. This technique is called DNS Poisoning.

Whilst worth knowing, I think OpenDNS or Google's DNS servers are pretty trustworthy.

Whilst worth knowing, I think OpenDNS or Google's DNS servers are pretty trustworthy.

Absolutely. In fact they employ various filters and techniques to reduce this sort of malicious stuff happening. Much better than most ISP-assigned DNS servers.

I also thought that Electronic Arts, Sony Online Entertainment and Valve were all trustworthy companies too but their servers were all compromised and passwords were extracted and leaked to the general public. EA even stored them in unsalted MD5 hashes - basically they might as well have just stored them in plain text.

Don't place too much trust in companies. Security isn't as strong as everyone thinks it is at the moment...