Direct Access Motorcycle Courses

Jeebs1546081084

Ive been looking to get a bike licence for a while, gettting a 125cc bike is abit cost prohibative with insurance + the cost of the bike. Ive decided to go down the direct access route.

Does anybody have any experiance with this? Cautionary tales or general advice?

Ive been looking around at various places that do it, can anybody recomend a company?

• 2 weeks later...

do not do it in a week, since if you fail your module 1 you lose the fee for module 2

do it spread out over at least 2 weeks.

however to be honest, you are much better off getting a 125cc and starting on that and taking like 2 hours training a week and doing it slow

you do NOT need a new 125 since they are rip off's and lets face it, going to be dropped/damaged or crashed.

My friend got a honda CB125 R reg with 6 months MOT for £400 and insurance for £127 and that was his first year. he could sell for a similar amount

I was extremelly lucky, i got a Derbi 125 07 plate for £1200 spent £90 on insurance (had 1 years no claims from a 50cc) spent £200 on training and £90 on test fees, then sold my bike a year later for £1500, so got full licence for £80 - Bargain!!!

I for one would not recommend jumping on to a 125cc and learning on that. It was amazing when I did my lessons I realised how much of a rubbish rider I was and how nieve. Learn the proper way and dont pick up the bad habits.

My instructor I paid £600 for 20hours worth of training including test.

He used Yamaha Fazer 600.....try not to use companies with the typical GS500 as these are awful to ride in my opinion.

I only ended up using 8 hours and passed my test in december 2 years ago. Had the hours left to which he did advanced training with me for free.

shop around and ask for opinions on them :aok:

good luck :aok:

Pros and cons really... DAS is good as you don't get bored of the lack of power a 125cc has, however I do think you can learn a lot on a 125 without being scared of all that power in your right hand. You can make your mistakes slow-time and without fear of over-cooking your bends too much.

I wasn't old enough for DAS so had to take my test on the 125 and be restricted. I loved my 125 and learnt a lot from it, and I think I get more enjoyment out of my bigger bikes exactly because I spent time learning properly on my little beastie for 18 months.

Jeebs, have you had any experience on bikes at all? If not, perhaps consider doing your CBT first to get a feel for bikes and see what you think.

If you get on alright after your CBT, get yourself a DAS course and have a go! But as others have said, wait until you've passed your Mod 1 before you go for your Mod 2 rather than doing them together, as if you fail Mod 1 you will lose your Mod 2 fee.

Apart from that, book it and do it, it's a great course. I did mine two years ago and love my bike! I went straight on to a 600 and I've had no problems. I felt that if I started on a 125 I'd want to get something bigger straight away.

Whats module 1/2??

I hadn't ridden a bike for 20 years, I did my CBT on a 125 then had 2 1/2 days of tuition on a 600cc bike with a test in the afternoon passing with 2 minors.

Everyone has their own opinions, all I can suggest is get on a bike and see how quickly you pick it up then try and get an impartial opinion from someone with a bit of experience.

DAS used to be one test with all your manoeuvres (U-turn, etc) completed during the test. However, supposedly in an attempt to increase safety, they've split it into two sections.

Module 1 is a set of manoeuvres at an off-road section of the test centre. The U-turn is done here as well as several other tasks which prove you can control the bike at low speed. Only after you pass this section can you take the Module 2 test, which is the traditional on-road test.

I did a CBT a couple of years ago which has now run out. I have also been thinking about DAS. What is involved in Module 2 (the road test)?

I didn't fancy doing the direct access so did a 125test and stayed restricted to 33bhp for a couple of years, was fine as I got a restrictor thrown in with the bike (nearly new FZ6 Naked).

Doing the test on a Yammy SR125 just didn't seem as daunting as jumping straight on a CB500 and the transition from 125 to 600 I could do in my own time at my own pace. Removed the restrictor once the A category finally came through and felt more prepared having ridden an underpowered big bike about for a bit.

Saying this was a few years back so not sure whether the 33bhp thing still holds true.

• Like 1

I didn't fancy doing the direct access so did a 125test and stayed restricted to 33bhp for a couple of years, was fine as I got a restrictor thrown in with the bike (nearly new FZ6 Naked).

Doing the test on a Yammy SR125 just didn't seem as daunting as jumping straight on a CB500 and the transition from 125 to 600 I could do in my own time at my own pace. Removed the restrictor once the A category finally came through and felt more prepared having ridden an underpowered big bike about for a bit.

Saying this was a few years back so not sure whether the 33bhp thing still holds true.

I was recommended to do exactly that by a few motorcycle instructors and did it. Suited me fine, but was over a decade ago so not sure if it's still how it works.

I did a CBT a couple of years ago which has now run out. I have also been thinking about DAS. What is involved in Module 2 (the road test)?

Module 2 is simply the on-road section of the test, you go out for a ride on a route determined by the examiner who follows you on his bike (or sometimes a car).

McFlurry, I've got an FZ6N, I love it.

Module 2 is simply the on-road section of the test, you go out for a ride on a route determined by the examiner who follows you on his bike (or sometimes a car).

McFlurry, I've got an FZ6N, I love it.

Loved mine until a 60mph tank slapper put me in hospital for a month... got conned out of the machine by the recovery firm WYP use. They convinced my mum it wasn't worth anything so she signed it over to them while I was still in hosp AND made her pay storage fees. Got a letter from the guy who bought it from them who apparently spent a couple of hundred quid and an afternoon and put my '05 machine back on the road. I thought I was fully comp so wasn't overly concerned at the time, turns out I was only 3pft!

But yes OP, plenty of ways to do it. Good luck to you!

I did CBT, rode a 125 for a year, then did lessons for Mod1 and Mod2. When I did my test my examiner said he could tell I'd been riding for a while. Two minors in my Mod 2. Juat depens what sort of person you are really.