Issues with my landlord about moving out...

tomspen1546081277

Basically I have been renting a flat since 02/10/10 via an estate agents. The contract is until 02/10/11. Throughout the time I've been renting the flat it has been in a terrible state. I've had no lights in my living room or bedroom since October (flat needs re-wiring apparently), the toilet is constantly breaking, water from the taps drips over the stairs and light switches, the windows are in a bad state, all the radiators are broken. The flat is a nightmare to live in. I've told both the landlord and agents about this, but nothing ever gets done, despite me paying rent on time since my contract started.

So after being walked all over I decided to move out. I've tried being reasonable with these people but they don't give a *****. Rather than risk losing my deposit if they accuse me of this damage I decided I would not pay the rent on the 2nd of this month and use that towards a new property. I'm due to move into a new flat on the 9th of July. But now they are trying to say that my deposit will cover this month but I must be out by the 2nd of next month or they will change the locks when I'm at work. They've given me no writing notice which I keep on asking for. They said that they will give me a notice but they will backdate it from the 2nd of this month, meaning I still had to be out on the 2nd of July. I've told them that this is complete bs, and as I understand it they can only give me 30 days notice after I fail to pay for the second month, meaning the earliest I can be evicted is the 2nd of August. I'm trying not to drag this out and have told them that I will happily leave on the 9th of July.

Can anyone clear up any of the issues here about the notice? And do the estate agent and landlord's actions amount to harassment (specifically under The Protection from Eviction Act 1977)?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by tomspen

Hi, i would say just to go to a hotel or a friends/family members house if its only a week. Its probably the best thing to do if you don't wanna deal with them anymore.

Basically I have been renting a flat since 02/10/10 via an estate agents. The contract is until 02/10/11. Throughout the time I've been renting the flat it has been in a terrible state. I've had no lights in my living room or bedroom since October (flat needs re-wiring apparently), the toilet is constantly breaking, water from the taps drips over the stairs and light switches, the windows are in a bad state, all the radiators are broken. The flat is a nightmare to live in. I've told both the landlord and agents about this, but nothing ever gets done, despite me paying rent on time since my contract started.

So after being walked all over I decided to move out. I've tried being reasonable with these people but they don't give a *****. Rather than risk losing my deposit if they accuse me of this damage I decided I would not pay the rent on the 2nd of this month and use that towards a new property. I'm due to move into a new flat on the 9th of July. But now they are trying to say that my deposit will cover this month but I must be out by the 2nd of next month or they will change the locks when I'm at work. They've given me no writing notice which I keep on asking for. They said that they will give me a notice but they will backdate it from the 2nd of this month, meaning I still had to be out on the 2nd of July. I've told them that this is complete bs, and as I understand it they can only give me 30 days notice after I fail to pay for the second month, meaning the earliest I can be evicted is the 2nd of August. I'm trying not to drag this out and have told them that I will happily leave on the 9th of July.

Can anyone clear up any of the issues here about the notice? And do the estate agent and landlord's actions amount to harassment (specifically under The Protection from Eviction Act 1977)?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

-as I understand it they can only give me 30 days notice after I fail to pay for the second month-

trust me you can get longer then that, my grandparents tried evicting somebody, got them a 30 day notice, they appealed and got an extra 90, then when they had to go they declared themselves as squatters, que a 1 year long case over human rights somehow got into it. grandad ended up cementing the water pipe ( he had legal possesion of house but not physical [ in law ] so not illegal ) they ended up leaving.

trust me you can get longer then that, my grandparents tried evicting somebody, got them a 30 day notice, they appealed and got an extra 90, then when they had to go they declared themselves as squatters, que a 1 year long case over human rights somehow got into it. grandad ended up cementing the water pipe ( he had legal possesion of house but not physical [ in law ] so not illegal ) they ended up leaving.

Yeah I know I can but I don't want to drag it out to be honest. I just want to leave without losing money that I feel they have absolutely no right to take from me. I'm sick of being messed around by these idiots. I'm tempted to phone the council and get them to do an inspection of the house before I leave as a final thank you to them. Fair play to your grandad.

Yeah I know I can but I don't want to drag it out to be honest. I just want to leave without losing money that I feel they have absolutely no right to take from me. I'm sick of being messed around by these idiots. I'm tempted to phone the council and get them to do an inspection of the house before I leave as a final thank you to them. Fair play to your grandad.

biggrin.gif - anyways, good luck with your situation.

Our standard disclaimer: This forum is not intended as a legal advice drop-in centre. PoliceSpecials.com disclaims any and all responsibility or liability for the accuracy, content, completeness, legality, reliability, operability or availability of information or material on this site, including - but not limited to - the documents available in the 'Reference Library' and 'Downloads' areas.

Please note that comments and advice given here with the best of intentions by the host, moderators or other users of the forum may not be correct, and that any advice given, in particular advice on the law and its application, is no substitute for personal legal advice from a solicitor.

I'm tempted to phone the council and get them to do an inspection of the house before I leave as a final thank you to them.

Good idea. Most Council's have a private landlords team of some sort or another. Sounds like these people need reporting. Also, check out if the agent is a member of any professional bodies and report him.

The specific advice depends on your own contract - they vary so much - but if you have a good read through of that, it may help. The best thing after reading that would be to go to a local citizen's advice bureau / free legal clinic, etc.

• Like 1

Good idea. Most Council's have a private landlords team of some sort or another. Sounds like these people need reporting. Also, check out if the agent is a member of any professional bodies and report him.

The specific advice depends on your own contract - they vary so much - but if you have a good read through of that, it may help. The best thing after reading that would be to go to a local citizen's advice bureau / free legal clinic, etc.

Yep they're cowboys. The house has been illegally converted into two flats I think. No separate gas/electricity either. I'll get in touch with CAB and Shelter. Thanks for your help guys.

Good idea. Most Council's have a private landlords team of some sort or another.

Existing council powers do include the ability to force landlords to rectify hazards in their property, and to make and charge back improvements if landlords fail to do so themselves. Local authorities also have discretionary licensing powers to tackle areas blighted by poorly managed privately rented stock.