Issues with my Neighbour - Help please!

tucker2969

Hi,

my partner and i moved into our property back in August and around october time we were planting some laurel bushes in our garden, at which point out neighbour hung out of the side window shouting abuse at my partner and calling us theives of the land. as a result of that we have paid to have a plan drawn up by RICS based on historic title deeds and land registry documents. the plan was submitted by our solicitor to them back in may with us offering for us to pay for the fence (which is actually their responsibility by their deeds) never the less they didnt respond so we wrote to them again this week and said we would erecta fence as they havnt disputed the boundary or been willing to make contact. (although this isnt the question...it gives some back ground as to what happened on wednesday)

the day the neighbour received the letter he came around to my property banging his fists so hard on my front door that the glass almost shattered, and when i went to the door, continued to call me a thief and get in my face saying that i was no better than the rest, and being quite threatening. as he left the property he slammed my gate so hard that the latch is now broken. i have raised an incident with the local police and am awaiting a call back form an officer, but is there anything i can do about his behaviour?

it is completly unacceptale to go around to someones property and be on their land, to throw threats, accusations and insults in an intimidating manner to then damage our property.

would appreciate anyones advise as it is actually quite worrying living next door to who is clearly not in control of his anger.

Thanks

Alan

Move. Neighbour disputes are very stressful - less stress than moving.

Hello, aside from the usual thing a moderator will get to about this site not being for legal advice and whatnot...

I had similar issues with my neighbour that started over planting plants, then it was about my dog being a dog. We have fences but he changed that about a year ago, we now have broken fences, with fences re-used from the other side of the garden propped up next to them, because he kept breaking them.

All I can say is with a neighbour like this is don't antagonise him, don't respond to any threats he may be giving you and report the incidents as they occur to the police. This will build up a case against your neighbour should it get really bad one day.

We did this for several years, and now our neighbour doesn't dare touch our property. He still behaves like an idiot when my dog is outside, but he has not been any problem since.

Sounds like you should have planted leylandii instead of Laurel.

Our standard disclaimer, this is not a legal advice forum, nothing said by anyone here constitutes legal advice in anyway and you'd be better off speaking to a solicitor at any rate.

I'm sure someone will post the official one below me but that will serve for now.

In that instance I'd say there was a breach of the peace. Although you can't be arrested for that after the fact. Further I'd say that if the latch is damaged (without having seen it or exactly what happened) it could be criminal damage. However do you want to stand up in court against your neighbour? You've got to think about that one, I'm not trying to influence you but if you go down the route of criminal proceedings then you have to consider that.

You could look at getting an injunction which would keep him off of your property. If you're moving the fence as per the deeds then I would suggest you are in your rights to do so. As the fence would belong to you any damage to said fence would constitute criminal damage. Again though it may be worth speaking to a solicitor about it before you go ahead and do it.

Speak to the police (which you've done). Speak to a solicitor (which you've done). Wait to hear back what they say to you and go from there.

is there anything i can do about his behaviour?

Sounds like you've done pretty much everything by putting it in the hands of the Police.

The options (from the description);

Civil law - Injunction, libel/slander (tenuous).

Criminal law - Breach of the Peace, criminal damage, burglary, assault. Sounds like a good candidate for an ASBO or ABC.

Hi Alan,

Can you contact the previous occupiers of your property? This might assist if he had issues with them over the garden too. You might find that this has been going on for years and years.

I'm sure someone will post the official one below me but that will serve for now.

Here you go

Our standard disclaimer: This forum is not intended as a legal advice drop-in centre. PoliceSpecials.com disclaims any and all responsibility or liability for the accuracy, content, completeness, legality, reliability, operability or availability of information or material on this site, including - but not limited to - the documents available in the 'Reference Library' and 'Downloads' areas.

Please note that comments and advice given here with the best of intentions by the host, moderators or other users of the forum may not be correct, and that any advice given, in particular advice on the law and its application, is no substitute for personal legal advice from a solicitor.

You should also refer to our Legal Notices which explain this in more detail.

just realised i have done something i shouldnt have, and have posted a legal question - thanks for those who answered and sorry if i offended by asking for legal advise...

please remove the thread if necessary.

Thanks

Alan

Here you go

Our standard disclaimer: This forum is not intended as a legal advice drop-in centre. PoliceSpecials.com disclaims any and all responsibility or liability for the accuracy, content, completeness, legality, reliability, operability or availability of information or material on this site, including - but not limited to - the documents available in the 'Reference Library' and 'Downloads' areas.

Please note that comments and advice given here with the best of intentions by the host, moderators or other users of the forum may not be correct, and that any advice given, in particular advice on the law and its application, is no substitute for personal legal advice from a solicitor.

You should also refer to our Legal Notices which explain this in more detail.

just realised i have done something i shouldnt have, and have posted a legal question - thanks for those who answered and sorry if i offended by asking for legal advise...

please remove the thread if necessary.

Thanks

Alan

Hi Alan,

The legal disclaimers are all done and dusted, so carry on with your thread! :evil:

With you contacting your local police they may put you in contact with a Neighbourhood Officer from your local NPT (if your force has NPT). NPT have alot of dealings with Neighbour disputes which often comes to a resolution to the problem. Its now a waiting game for you which what other people have said to hear back with what they say.

Moving to Help Me

• Global Moderators

Out of interest, is their's a council or privately let house or do they own it.

Chances are it'd be breaching the council's tenancy agreement and certainly a private landlord's regarding the damage.