Is it worth getting a new graphics card?

Javioli

I have an XFX HD 5870 1GB GDDR5 SDRAM graphics card which is going back with a fault under RMA.

Retailing from £120 - £150 now (paid £200 in September last year!), would it be worth me selling the replacement and buying a new one? Like will something newer be that much better?

Ta

It is a good card. I have the 4850 HD and that is still good enough 3 years on for every PC game that I have ever played.

You will have to add a little more money than the £130 you will get for the sale to be able to get a better one.

There is also the selling to consider, who is going to buy it, how much will they pay, how much will a site take in payment for the sale.

Personally I would just stick with the card, but that is only my opinion

What games are you playing? The card is still pretty fast for it's generation, unless you're a serious gamer, I'd stick with what you have.

Budget is £250. The current card is going back with a fault so I was thinking of getting something to replace it. If the card is replaced with a new one I will probably sell it on.

Will they let you pay the difference and get a more up to date card?

Good idea, might ask, but it's already down as a 'replace'.

Are you sure you want/need the upgrade?

Might as well, then it's up to date. Another argument to get a new one is I'm not without the machine for a week.

Had to return 4Gb RAM to Corsair today as faulty, must be something in the air. Have 4Gb remaining in the machine so it's not that bad.

It depends on the specification of the rest of your machine. Are you sure the graphics card is the bottleneck? If you're running Windows >= Vista then have a gander at your Windows Experience Index score breakdown first and potentially divert the money into beefing up one of the other categories.

Edit to add - what screen resolution are you running as native - and also aiming for when gaming?

Edited by CmdKeen

Running Win 7 64bit.  Screens are extended desktop over 2x monitors running 1920 x 1080 each.  Gaming is single monitor at that res.<div><br></div><div>The primary monitor is hooked up to an Onkyo amp into 5.1 speakers which provides the audio.

</div><div><br></div><div>OH NOES - THE HTML BUG RETURNS!!!!!!</div>

Edited by Javioli

1920 x 1080 for most games shouldn't be taxing modern cards too much these days. If you did want to start using both monitors in graphics heavy games that support it you would see an advantage in a beefy card.

With 2 monitors it's difficult to use both due to the fact the centre is right in the join (try first-person-shooters like this smiley_strop.gif)

The current card supports 3x monitors but I've never seen a monitor with an ultra thin edge. Most when put side by side have a good half inch of plastic between them, even the slim ones.

Edited by Javioli

• 3 weeks later...

I have an XFX HD 5870 1GB GDDR5 SDRAM graphics card which is going back with a fault under RMA.

Retailing from £120 - £150 now (paid £200 in September last year!), would it be worth me selling the replacement and buying a new one? Like will something newer be that much better?

Ta

It is a good card, I doubt there would be any benefit in buying a more up to date model unless you need a newly developed feature like AMD Eyefinity...

Well they replaced the card FOC, installed today, updated drivers, sorted :D

Still an Excellent value card comparing specs from the latest cards......

Edited by Javioli

The 480's are the best bang for buck at the moment at 220-250 for overclockers.