Motorcycle Licence

DaveUK

Ive read so much online that ive managed to confuse myself, so thought I would ask on here in the hope someone with the right knowledge can point me in the right direction!

I have a full UK driving licence with the P entitlement.

Direct.gov.uk states:

If you have a full car licence you may ride motorcycles up to 125 cc and 11 kW power output, with L plates (and/or D plates in Wales), on public roads, but you MUST first satisfactorily complete a CBT course if you have not already done so.

Other sites I have seen state

If you have a full car driving licence without a provisional Category A entitlement, then you must apply for a provisional motorcycle licence before you can do your CBT and get on the road on a light motorcycle.

Or that class P only allows you to ride a bike upto 50cc with L plates after passing your CBT.

I dont think I would be as confused it it wasnt for the official direct.gov site stating you can ride upto 125cc providing you have L plates and pass the CBT.

Can anyone advise what I need to do to ride a bike of upto 125cc on a full UK driving licence? (I havent take CBT yet, but know I will need to before I get on a bike)

If your licence was issued before 1st February 2001, then you can ride a 50cc moped, capable of not more than 30mph. Strangely enough, you will not need to display L plates, and you can carry a passenger if the motorcycle has a passenger seat and rear footrests. If you want to ride a motorcycle of over 50cc, up to 125cc, you must take Compulsory Basic Training (CBT), you must display L plates, and you must not carry passengers. The CBT certificate is valid for 2 years.

Edit: better info.

Edited by ataylor0
  • Like 1

Ok, so just to confirm!

Full UK Driving Licence

Complete CBT

Drive any bike upto 125cc without L plates?

passing your CBT gives you a Provisional A Category licence

so no, you'll still need L plates on your bike until you pass your bike test and get a full category A licence

• Like 1

• Global Moderators

Not policing related so moved to 'Help Me'.

• Like 1

Unfortnatley its not simple!!!

If you hold a full car licence gained before 1997 you have catagory P, which means you can drive without L plates and without CBT anything up to 50cc.

If you gained your full car licence after 1997 you also have catagory P, but to "validate it" you need to complete a CBT which is valid forever for anything up to 50cc

If you do not hold a full car licence then you have to complete a CBT and have to ride with L plates to ride anything up to 125's (if you are 16, 50cc's)

If you wish to drive a bike up to 125cc you need to complete a CBT regardless of whether you have car licence or not. You will also need L plates.

• Like 1

My licence was issued in 2004, so is it still the case of:

Full UK Driving Licence

Complete CBT

Drive any bike upto 125cc with L plates?

Superb, just need to convince the missus now!

Thanks everyone!

Wow, this is the same situation I'm in :aok:

So, is the assertion that you can't drive a 125CC machine with L plates *until* you've done a CBT?

Even if technically you didn't need a CBT before riding on the road, if you plan to ride a bike on the road and have only driven a car up to now, you'd be pretty stupid not to do a CBT course before hand.

Do the CBT, it might save your life.

• Like 1