Internet Forums

Cardiff Bluebirds

Would anyone be able to offer a view on this one please?

You're a member of an internet forum; in order to register you enter your name, date of birth, location. All is fine afterwards.

A 3rd party approach the forum 'owner' and asked for confirmation that a forum user is a named individual. The forum owner gives out the information to the 3rd party. Is this illegal? If not what legislation are they (the forum owner) breaching?

I believe this has happened to me, hence why I ask. Could someone give a personal view whether this is on or not.

I did not give permission for my details to be given out on registering on the forum.

Regards

Bluebird.

Edited by Cardiff Bluebirds

You'd need to check the terms and conditions on signing up to the forum (as if anyone reads those). It could be a breach of the Data Protection Act.

Often this is allowed in the T&Cs. This forum has clauses where they will cooperate with PSD investigations etc.

If not, could potentially be a DPA issue if they are a company.

A 3rd party approach the forum 'owner' and asked for confirmation that a forum user is a named individual. The forum owner gives out the information to the 3rd party. Is this illegal? If not what legislation are they (the forum owner) breaching?

Depends on;

1. Who the 3rd Party is
  2. The reason the 3rd Party has quoted
  3. Whether the forum is registered with the ICO or not

As I understand it, you can request this information as it is your information.

The devil, as always, is in the detail...

Edited by candles

The oft quoted DPA is often quote wrongly, there could be no offence under the DPA, just for conforming the name of a member of a site, the information you cant release is specifically identified under the act and N&A isnt on it

there is a different consideration that if you do keep N&A, you have to keep them securely or if the site have T&C which promise confidentiality

Our standard disclaimer: This forum is not intended as a legal advice drop-in centre. PoliceSpecials.com disclaims any and all responsibility or liability for the accuracy, content, completeness, legality, reliability, operability or availability of information or material on this site, including - but not limited to - the documents available in the 'Reference Library' and 'Downloads' areas.

Please note that comments and advice given here with the best of intentions by the host, moderators or other users of the forum may not be correct, and that any advice given, in particular advice on the law and its application, is no substitute for personal legal advice from a solicitor.

Just to confirm this forum is a model railway ! :saint:;) forum. So it wouldnt be PSD or anything heavy like that.

Thanks for the personal thoughts I will double check the T&Cs.

Cheers.

Bluebird.

Just to confirm this forum is a model railway ! :saint:;) forum. So it wouldnt be PSD or anything heavy like that.

Thanks for the personal thoughts I will double check the T&Cs.

Cheers.

Bluebird.

How do you know your details have been given out, if you don't mind me asking?

Secondly PSD would look at anything as part of an investigation.

Edited by candid

Dispute over a transaction with a shop. The shop owner I think has contacted the forum I am a member of to obtain my detials and is now stating that they have proof of a disputed transation.

In a nut shell i ordered a model over 12 months ago, I however asked to pay in installments as the cost was over £500. The shop took the payment in one go which I wasnt happy about, the item came i returned it. The shop then sent it back to me stating that the model was damaged.

They are also saying that I have opened and used the model which is incorrect.

Why they have approached the website is unknown, but they are now stating that they have 'proof' that I opened and used the models...I can only think this proof is from the forum where I posted pictures of a similar but not the same model in my personal model railway thread.

Its nothing to do with the job so PSD wouldnt even know about it, let alone be bothered.

Thanks.

Bluebird.

Edited by Cardiff Bluebirds

Dispute over a transaction with a shop. The shop owner I think has contacted the forum I am a member of to obtain my detials and is now stating that they have proof of a disputed transation.

In a nut shell i ordered a model over 12 months ago, I however asked to pay in installments as the cost was over £500. The shop took the payment in one go which I wasnt happy about, the item came i returned it. The shop then sent it back to me stating that the model was damaged.

They are also saying that I have opened and used the model which is incorrect.

Why they have approached the website is unknown, but they are now stating that they have 'proof' that I opened and used the models...I can only think this proof is from the forum where I posted pictures of a similar but not the same model in my personal model railway thread.

Its nothing to do with the job so PSD wouldnt even know about it, let alone be bothered.

Thanks.

Bluebird.

What gauge model railway?

Perhaps a chat to trading standards might be in order (unless you have already done so). I don't think the shop would be able to prove either way from a forum about your purchase from them.

Unless the website's T&C's explicitly state they can pass on your information to third-parties I think the website owner would be on very shaky ground if you challenged them about giving away your details without your explicit written permission.