Anyone help me with making a forum(not police related)

King Scotts

Ok have I got this right, heads all over the place

I buy a domain.

Than use some forum software vbulletin I assume? Or if they are any just as good free options do let me know :)

Then rent out a server to host said forum on?

Cheers for any help info guys

Than use some forum software vbulletin I assume? Or if they are any just as good free options do let me know :p

Try a reputable free forum software before hand. You don't want to be paying out and it does not come off for you :(

I'll have a good look into it. Thank you :(

Any other ideas I'm all ears people

• Global Moderators

phpBB is versatile and scalable, Make sure you set the nameservers to the right place on the domain control panel, the NS will come from your host, there are free hosts, but they aren't as 'safe', I'd recommend Dreamhost.

For most forums you will need an SQL database!

Any other ideas I'm all ears people

You'll need a crack team of experienced moderators. :(

We are all available for £40k per annum each (LV is £60k) - a wise investment if you ask me!

Try a reputable free forum software before hand. You don't want to be paying out and it does not come off for you :p

Ok and if it was to take off nicely the way I wanted, I could move it all instead of using a freebased one? I was looking at them a few years ago and they were god awful hope they're better now :)

You'll need a crack team of experienced moderators. :(

We are all available for £40k per annum each (LV is £60k) - a wise investment if you ask me!

Sounds lovely but I'd stick with my own team :p

phpBB is versatile and scalable, Make sure you set the nameservers to the right place on the domain control panel, the NS will come from your host, there are free hosts, but they aren't as 'safe', I'd recommend Dreamhost.

For most forums you will need an SQL database!

Thanks for the info Mike :)

And to everyone else

Depends what you want to spend, how successful you expect your forum to be, who you want to attract, etc.

If you're doing it as a hobby based thing for a small group, e.g. a football team, then just go with one of the free hosted forums. They are advertising heavy and you have practically no control over the setup. But they're free :( Just google there are lots out there.

If you're going to set up your own, then buy a domain and a bit of webspace, cheap as chips. Eg. these people UK Web Solutions Direct who hosted ps.com for a long time (and they were excellent) - £35 per year. Make sure your hosting provider supports MySQL databases and PHP.

Then get hold of some forum software, I'd start with phpBB, it's pretty easy to install and set up, doesn't cost much either (I think it's actually free). Upload it to your webspace using an FTP program, log into your forum admin page and set it all up. Not too difficult.

Hope this helps.

Cheers LV

And everyone else who helped me out :(

As above:- phpBB is superb. I'm running my own forum using it and it's quite simply one of the easiest forum softwares to use and administer. I had used vBulletin before (I was a board-wide supermod on a vB forum) and the software was a pig to use. phpBB is the way to go in my opinion.

I'm with vBulletin at the moment and they are the best option out there if your going to create a forum that 'is for the masses'. The best thing to do is to buy a cheap domain and a cheap server to host your website on - which is what I've done. I'm actually thinking about re-branding one of my websites as its not really applicable to what people want to discuss and debate about at the moment.

I use "forumotion" for free forums, this is one I'm in the middle of developing at the moment, link it's very easy to customise, it's my first go at building a forum, it's been dead easy to get my head round. Mine is ready to go live shortly. :aok:

• Global Moderators

vBulletin costs money though, from a price perspective, stick with phpBB, it's open source.

If you are willing to spend $85, get vBulletin.

I would strongly recommend you not to use the free setups such as proboards or freeforums. They are full of advertising and give you very little control. They are also quite off putting to potential members.

A domain name and hosting can be bought for very little money. Stick with a decent domain extension such as .com, .co.uk, .net etc. Steer clear of .infos - Very very cheap and have a bad reputation. A .co.uk domain will cost around £7 and last for 2 years.

As for forum software - very very easy to install. I would steer clear of phpbb - Its quite old in its format now and pretty difficuly to add modifications compared to newer software. I would strongly recommend MyBB. Its free, has a great following and has nearly all the features of a paid software (IPB, Vbulletin, Xenforo)

Be aware though, its very hard work to start up a successful forum. You can be lots and lots of hours in and get nothing back in return.

If you need any more help, please feel free to ask :aok:

vBulletin costs money though, from a price perspective, stick with phpBB, it's open source.

If you are willing to spend $85, get vBulletin.

MyBB is open source and a closer match to vbulletin then phpbb.

Mybb has one click theme/modification install whereas with phpbb you have to start digging around in the code etc.

Heres a few of my sites -

Dover Locals (IPB)

Cheesy Moments (MyBB)

Facejacker Forum - (Vbulletin 3)

Retention Deals (Xenforo)

Edited by Powerful_Rogue

Webs.Com is a great little free host and also has their own forum app software. try there, they're free and really stable. Good space as well.