Questions for a biker

NewhamSC

Okay, I am looking to purchase a Yamaha YZF-R125, it will be my first bike, and I am 18 years old!

I have a few questions, as when I Google them, they come back with answers but they aren't very clear, so if someone could answer them for me that would be great!

Right:

1 - I have a Full UK driving licence, in order to drive a 125cc motorbike, is the only test I need to complete the CBT test?

2 - Is it possible to get from Leeds to London on a 125cc bike?

3 - Can I drive the motorbike on the motorway?

Thank you to anyone who responds it is really appreciated!

You'll need the provisional entitlement for a 125cc bike and display @[email protected] plates front and rear.

Complete the CBT which is valid for two years

Leeds to London= I imagine it's possible, but you will have to stay clear of Motorways.

you will have to complete a CBT and as said above drive round with L plates on and you are not entitles to carry any pillion passengers or go on motorways..

have a look on the DVLA website.. it specifies everything on there.

You'll need the provisional entitlement for a 125cc bike and display @[email protected] plates front and rear.

Complete the CBT which is valid for two years

Leeds to London= I imagine it's possible, but you will have to stay clear of Motorways.

When you say provisional entitlement is that specifically for a bike or just a provisional car licence?

So if I do my CBT, I will be legal to ride a 125, considering it has tax, MOT, insurance etc?

2 - Is it possible to get from Leeds to London on a 125cc bike?

Yes it is, your looking at around 5hrs though. I've done the Solent area to London on a 125cc by avoiding the motorway. Just over 2hrs it took me.

When you say provisional entitlement is that specifically for a bike or just a provisional car licence?

So if I do my CBT, I will be legal to ride a 125, considering it has tax, MOT, insurance etc?

A full UK driving licence (cat B cars) entitles you to a provisional entitlement on A and A1 vehicles (motorcycles and light motorcycles) So you can ride upto a 125cc motorbike on your UK B category licence provided you have passed your CBT. You can not carry a pillion passenger and you must display front and rear L - plates. And like a car you must stay clear of the motorway network. Obviously you need the other stuff as well.

Yes it is, your looking at around 5hrs though. I've done the Solent area to London on a 125cc by avoiding the motorway. Just over 2hrs it took me.

Not too bad that.

Not too bad that.

It's a great straight forward route, A31-A3. And a nice scenic ride across The Hog's Back.

Please buy the best quality gear you can afford too. If you have a small 55-56cm head I might be able to help with a new lid for silly money.

And you will have to renew your CBT every 2 years.

And you will have to renew your CBT every 2 years.

Also, if your Cbt expires, so does any theory or mod 1 test you've passed and so you'll have to redo them too.

Leeds-London is possible by 125 bike but to be honest it will be very long and difficult. I've done it a few times by car using motorways and that's been tough enough. Avoiding motorways on a small bike - as you will have to until you have passed your test - is going to be no fun at all, especially so in inclement weather - despite all the gear, which I echo above, must be the best you can get. There's no reason to imagine otherwise, however, I would wonder about a small bike's capability to make such journeys regularly

I would wonder about a small bike's capability to make such journeys regularly

It's possible. I used to do the London run on a regular basis. Good maintenance is the key. And the 125cc being liquid cooled as opposed to air cooled. You don't have to worry about cleaning or replacing filters.

I have this very bike...

I've ridden a lot of 125s and I would say that the Yamaha is the best of the bunch. It is powerful enough for a young rider, looks the part and is easy to handle. Doesn't have a great turning circle though, but its a sports bike so you sort of expect this. It will do 250 miles on one tank too, and thats ragging it. There is no storage on the bike, and no place to add anything. It is also quite heavy for a 125 weighing in at over 140kg when fueled. I prefer this though and with the torque you wont notice it.

I rode from Ipswich to Peterborough on mine (I have a full licence) and it can struggle to keep up on motorways. It will easily do 70mph, but getting above 75 will be difficult. At 83 it will bounce off the limiter.

Also the seat is tiny and is very thin. I can tell you I needed a good few minutes to get the feeling back in each cheeck after that ride.