Car Insurance

carty23

Hi all,

I'm currently looking for car insurance and have come across co-ops 'Smartbox' insurance. Basically, they fit a box to your car (apparently it's the size of a mobile phone) and it monitors your breaking/accelerating, how fast you take corners, the speeds you do on different types of road and whether you drive between 23:00 - 6:00.

Although it sounds a little intrusive, it's the cheapest way for getting car insurance at my age (17). I've checked everywhere else and the quotes are ridiculous. Now, I will be choosing to pay monthly as I do not have the money up front. But, it tells me that I have to pay a £243.19 deposit followed by 10 monthly instalments of £61.28.

My question is, does the £243.19 deposit cover the first 2 months of my insurance? It doesn't say at this stage. But I was wondering if anyone else had a monthly insurance policy whereby they had to pay a deposit followed by 10 monthly instalments.

Thanks all,

Chris.

yeah my last one i had to pay £300 deposit and 150something for 10months after....

I saw one where it was pay-per-mile type of thing, so if you said you do max 4000 mile per year it would monitor this and charge so much per mile over what you did, if you didnt do 4000mile in one year they refund you money....but i didnt want this as i dont want any insurance company tampering with the -under- bonnet of my car lol

See what other people say because i am only 22 i have only had 2 years worth of insurance so some people maybe able to help you a little more

I had something similar when i started driving. Mine was the I-KUBE, if i drove between the hours of 23.00 and 05.00, i would have a 40 pounds penalty.

Can you put any parents as a addidtional driver? it does knock a few pounds off.

My first year insureance with a blackbox was 1,700

Second year was 900 with a blackbox

This year without a blackbox was 790. The insurance company i was with for the first two years wanted 2,000. CRAZY

Answer to the question.

You will get charged the large amount when you take out the insurance, followed by 10 payments every month. You normally don't pay anything for the last 2 months.

Hope this makes sense.

Edited by seanl9103

i passed my test in 1981 and still have a clean liecence and i have class 1 hgv liecence and still the insurance want £600 quid off me for my kia its crazy how much they charge and i think its only going to get worse because two many people are driving around with no insurance and having accidents making premiums go up

Insurance prices are rising for a number of reasons, one is like you said uninsured drivers, but also the bad weather we had last winter. An overall increase in claims unfortunately effects everybodies premiums - and those who have high premiums to start with get hit even harder, I.E young drivers.

I think these days these schemes are the best, however be cautious. I have heard that people who live in areas where they have to go over small mini roundabouts regulary often get penalised as the blackbox shows them as taking tight corners too fast, and I have heard many other flaws with them.

Personally I got absolutely hammered, my first years insurance was £3200, second year £2100 and this year £900 (got a discount for being a special with Elephant!!!).

Good luck haha!

I had to pay a £1000 deposit, following by 10 monthly payments of £203.52.

Daylight robbery!