First Car

carty23

Hi guys,

Basically I'm looking after a bit of advice. I passed my driving test last week, and at age 17, the cheapest quotes I'm getting are with a Skoda Fabia.

Now, there was a beautiful blue Skoda for £2795, 53 reg with only 29k on the clock and I was going to buy it tomorrow but I looked on the dealers website this morning and it had been sold :saint:

So now I've found the next 2 nearest ones (my price limit is £3k):

Skoda Fabia: 04 reg - £2978

Skoda Fabia: 04 reg - £2990.

The only difference between the 2 is that the latter has 2000 more miles on the clock - but I actually like this one more (just from the pictures).

On the former, the disk rotor (please excuse me if I'm wrong!) seems to be a bit rusty - is this a problem?

Finally, any general tips of buying a car would be much appreciated. Do I not have to be as wary buying from a car dealership/garage than I would have to be, say, buying a private one off eBay?

The second car only allows views upon request and currently only have 17 cars in stock. They also don't provide an address but I have a feeling it might be on a farm because I acquired a postcode after a bit of googling and it's in a rural area.

Many thanks in advance!

Hi first of all the disk rotor as you put it. I.e the brake disk is only rusty as it will have been 1) washed and left to dry which will cause the rust look until its run or 2)rusted from not being moved but very rare on a car of this age I will guess its the first one.

Buying from a dealer or private has risks of there own.

Make sure you check key things

service history

past MOT's all match up

if mileage is low check for wear and tear on the car i.e bolster of the seats, steering wheel - bodywork etc....

Check engine oil levels, coolant levels, front slam panel for damage....lift the carpet in the boot and look for any re-paint or any movement in the metal - this should tell you any severe bumps front or rear.

Check paint matches all round the car.

Hope that helps a bit :saint:

Get an Austin Metro! Mine was great til it blew up for the second time :saint:

• Global Moderators

The Fabia is a great little car, though it was facelifted from the 54 plate onwards so try and push the boat out a little bit as the facelifted version is much nicer inside. I had a Fabia for 18 months and although people will take the mick (because it's a Skoda) they are absolutely top notch cars these days.

The Fabia is a great little car, though it was facelifted from the 54 plate onwards so try and push the boat out a little bit as the facelifted version is much nicer inside. I had a Fabia for 18 months and although people will take the mick (because it's a Skoda) they are absolutely top notch cars these days.

My mates are all calling me a grandad for wanting a fabia :D ha .. I suppose it's better than a lad driving a Ford Ka!

--------

Thanks for the advice peeps, hopefully I will be getting one sometime next week :( Too busy with work/revision to go looking just yet.

If only one disk is rusty I'd be nervous that it's corresponding caliper doesn't work. Suggest you ask them to put it through a new MOT and sell it to you with a 12 month ticket - one of the tests compares the braking efficiency side to side and front to back. Pay for the MOT if you have to.

Hi guys,

Basically I'm looking after a bit of advice. I passed my driving test last week, and at age 17, the cheapest quotes I'm getting are with a Skoda Fabia.

Now, there was a beautiful blue Skoda for £2795, 53 reg with only 29k on the clock and I was going to buy it tomorrow but I looked on the dealers website this morning and it had been sold :prone:

So now I've found the next 2 nearest ones (my price limit is £3k):

Skoda Fabia: 04 reg - £2978

Skoda Fabia: 04 reg - £2990.

The only difference between the 2 is that the latter has 2000 more miles on the clock - but I actually like this one more (just from the pictures).

On the former, the disk rotor (please excuse me if I'm wrong!) seems to be a bit rusty - is this a problem?

Finally, any general tips of buying a car would be much appreciated. Do I not have to be as wary buying from a car dealership/garage than I would have to be, say, buying a private one off eBay?

The second car only allows views upon request and currently only have 17 cars in stock. They also don't provide an address but I have a feeling it might be on a farm because I acquired a postcode after a bit of googling and it's in a rural area.

Many thanks in advance!

I bought my car from Wilmslow Car Sales (WCS) the second ad you posted.

Stuart is the guy who owns it. When I bought my car (Volvo S60 D5) in Dec 2008 he was selling them from his house in Wilmslow, he didn't have any premises as such. I have never had any problems with my car everything was perfect and as described in the AD. He is a really nice guy and very helpful, he let me test drive the car and look over it as much as I wanted when I viewed it. I got a 3 month warranty with the car but never had to use it as I had zero problems with it.

Definitely a good dealer IMO.

I bought my car from Wilmslow Car Sales (WCS) the second ad you posted.

Stuart is the guy who owns it. When I bought my car (Volvo S60 D5) in Dec 2008 he was selling them from his house in Wilmslow, he didn't have any premises as such. I have never had any problems with my car everything was perfect and as described in the AD. He is a really nice guy and very helpful, he let me test drive the car and look over it as much as I wanted when I viewed it. I got a 3 month warranty with the car but never had to use it as I had zero problems with it.

Definitely a good dealer IMO.

Thanks very much! I really like that car and he's been ringing me all weekend to ask when am I going to test drive it! (Couldn't answer due to being in work).

I was also wondering about his premises. Is it located on a farm? Only there doesn't seem to be an address on the website and after a bit of googling I found a post code and it seems to be in a rural area.

It's on clay lane in wilmslow (if he is still operating from the same place) I don't recall it being a farm, just a big house with lots of land (big electric wooden gate across the drive, you have to buzz an Intercom and he let's you in) nothing to lose with a test drive mate. He is a decent bloke.