Bank number

carty23

Basically, my bank account is with Barclays and my account number is 8 digits long. The first two digits are 00. However, after typing in my bank account number on direct gov for my student finance, when I click submit it automatically misses off the two 0s and just puts 6 numbers. I've tried amending it twice but it just keeps doing the same!

So, my question is (and it may sound stupid), are the two 0s at the beginning actually part of my bank account number?

Thanks guys :w00t:

I have a Barclays account and the number is 8 digits long too.

Thanks Rocket.

Looks like I'm going have to phone student finance up.

It is quite usual for 6 or 7 digit account numbers to be proceeded by zero's. Online systems should allow for this, but if they don't then the payment system most certainly should.

Best to phone and check of course, but the missing 0's shouldn't cause an actual issue/delay in payment, as the computers will simply add as many 00's as necessary to the start of the account number.

It is quite usual for 6 or 7 digit account numbers to be proceeded by zero's.

It can happen Damsel. My old Lloyds account started 003.

Then again, that was in the days when Lloyds was proper bank!

Edited by pmtts

It was exactly as Damsel said. I emailed them last week and they got back to me today:

Dear Mr C,

Following on from your correspondance with us with regards to your bank details, I can confirm to you that the bank details you have given us are correct.

When you access your account online, even though it shows that the 2 zero digits have been deleted from your account, the details are securely stored on our database. I can understand how this may have cause you some alarm. However, any transactions on your account will be secure.

Problem solved! Thanks once again guys,

Chris.