Young Driver Insurance

SM17HY1546081268

Im 17 and learning to drive, Ive being looking at insurance quotes and I'm getting an average of £2500 for a years cover on cars ranging from 1-1.6 litre cars that are worth between a £1000 - £1500 and thats with my dad as a named driver!

Am I doing something wrong? Is it really that expensive?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SM17HY1546081268

• ds1989

• callsign-kid

• NewhamSC

Im 17 and learning to drive, Ive being looking at insurance quotes and I'm getting an average of £2500 for a years cover on cars ranging from 1-1.6 litre cars that are worth between a £1000 - £1500 and thats with my dad as a named driver!

Am I doing something wrong? Is it really that expensive?

Yes it is, I have had a licence for over a year, since I was 17 and have been unable to afford to run a car, so not build up enough no claims to reduce the price. It is a vicious circle unfortunatelysmiley_strop.gif

Yes it is, I have had a licence for over a year, since I was 17 and have been unable to afford to run a car, so not build up enough no claims to reduce the price. It is a vicious circle unfortunatelysmiley_strop.gif

Sorry to hear that mate! Looks like Ive got a lot of saving to do to get £4000 for my first car :D

Also what I dont understand is:

1.0 Corsa (3dr) 2003 £2700

1.6 Focus (3dr) 2001 £2500

Both around the same price £1500! And I know which one I'd prefer :w00t:

Sorry to hear that mate! Looks like Ive got a lot of saving to do to get £4000 for my first car :D

Also what I dont understand is:

1.0 Corsa (3dr) 2003 £2700

1.6 Focus (3dr) 2001 £2500

Both around the same price £1500! And I know which one I'd prefer :w00t:

Thats not a bad deal! It would cost me £4600 to insure a 1.0 clio. Interesting it would cost £4800 to insure a 1.8 focus. I'm in the same boat as you are. Its a vicious cycle, can't afford insurance to get get no claims to get quote down! Not only that I object on the principle of the thing. I can buy a 125cc motorbike, insure, tax, MOT, buy all the clobber (and not the economy stuff either) and security chain etc, fuel it for a year do the CBT and pocket enough change to treat myself to something nice. So basically I can get on the road on a motorbike for less than what it would cost me to insure a car! Its a joke. No wonder there are as many uninsured drivers as there are.

Thats not a bad deal! It would cost me £4600 to insure a 1.0 clio. Interesting it would cost £4800 to insure a 1.8 focus. I'm in the same boat as you are. Its a vicious cycle, can't afford insurance to get get no claims to get quote down! Not only that I object on the principle of the thing. I can buy a 125cc motorbike, insure, tax, MOT, buy all the clobber (and not the economy stuff either) and security chain etc, fuel it for a year do the CBT and pocket enough change to treat myself to something nice. So basically I can get on the road on a motorbike for less than what it would cost me to insure a car! Its a joke. No wonder there are as many uninsured drivers as there are.

A very vicious cycle mate its a shame that our insurance is so expensive and as you say this is why so many people drive around uninsured its mad!

I am afraid it is always going to be the case of grin and bear it. Insurance companies will always shaft you with prices. It doesn't matter how small the cars engine is. I was paying £2400 on a 1.4 at 17, I am now paying 350 of a 1.7 aged 21 with 4 years no claims. My advice to anyone would be suffer the first year or two and reap the rewards when you build up just a bit of no claims. Most young drivers get away with it by fronting, i.e. putting there father/mother as the main driver and them as a named driver for cheaper premiums but obviously it has legality issues.

I brought a pug 106 quiksilver for my first car 1.4 and had my dad as policy holder and owner of the car, i was a named driver, got it cheep only 1000 pounds on insurance, then i got the phone call saying that we needed to prove that my dad was the main driver and not me.. fair enough soo i went on my own insurance, 1500 ( wish i did this from the start for NCB) im paying for it now, anyways as im 20 now and my insurance has dropped i brought a seat leon 1.6 and im paying 1300 on it at the moment ( far too big for what i use it for ) so im thinking what the heck ill buy a nice little sports car for while im young .. 2 years NCB held my licence 3 years thought id get it cheep, i got quoted 3000 pounds :w00t:

soo untill i turn 21 im abit stuffed on insurance and getting my nice little sports car :D

I am afraid it is always going to be the case of grin and bear it. Insurance companies will always shaft you with prices. It doesn't matter how small the cars engine is. I was paying £2400 on a 1.4 at 17, I am now paying 350 of a 1.7 aged 21 with 4 years no claims. My advice to anyone would be suffer the first year or two and reap the rewards when you build up just a bit of no claims. Most young drivers get away with it by fronting, i.e. putting there father/mother as the main driver and them as a named driver for cheaper premiums but obviously it has legality issues.

Yeah I have been told to expect these big prices :D

But as you say grin and bear it! Its fantastic that your insurance is £350 now :D

I brought a pug 106 quiksilver for my first car 1.4 and had my dad as policy holder and owner of the car, i was a named driver, got it cheep only 1000 pounds on insurance, then i got the phone call saying that we needed to prove that my dad was the main driver and not me.. fair enough soo i went on my own insurance, 1500 ( wish i did this from the start for NCB) im paying for it now, anyways as im 20 now and my insurance has dropped i brought a seat leon 1.6 and im paying 1300 on it at the moment ( far too big for what i use it for ) so im thinking what the heck ill buy a nice little sports car for while im young .. 2 years NCB held my licence 3 years thought id get it cheep, i got quoted 3000 pounds :w00t:

soo untill i turn 21 im abit stuffed on insurance and getting my nice little sports car ;)

Unlucky getting that phone call and as you say would have been much better for you to have your own policy in the first place!

What sports car was you looking at?

Yeah I have been told to expect these big prices :w00t:

But as you say grin and bear it! Its fantastic that your insurance is £350 now :D

Unlucky getting that phone call and as you say would have been much better for you to have your own policy in the first place!

What sports car was you looking at?

Indeed! and a bmw z3 roadster :D i can pick a decent once for about 5k, its just the insurance thats abit steap.

Indeed! and a bmw z3 roadster :D i can pick a decent once for about 5k, its just the insurance thats abit steap.

Sweet! Very nice car much better than that Leon :w00t:

soo untill i turn 21 im abit stuffed on insurance and getting my nice little sports car :D

I think 25 is the ideal age for a good insurance qoute, I'm 22 and my insurance is £900 on a 2008 focus, it's getting lower but that price was only agreed after a lot negotiating!

With regard to the Corsa being almost as expensive as the Focus.

The reason for that is it is a "boy racer" car, and that is the sole reason why it is so expensive. Even the colour can affect the price believe it or not. A mate has a maroon Clio and a silver version which he was originally going to buy (exactly the same except for colour, even the age) was £200 more... confused.gif

I think 25 is the ideal age for a good insurance qoute, I'm 22 and my insurance is £900 on a 2008 focus, it's getting lower but that price was only agreed after a lot negotiating!

Haha! Well done for negotiating mate!

With regard to the Corsa being almost as expensive as the Focus.

The reason for that is it is a "boy racer" car, and that is the sole reason why it is so expensive. Even the colour can affect the price believe it or not. A mate has a maroon Clio and a silver version which he was originally going to buy (exactly the same except for colour, even the age) was £200 more... confused.gif

£200 because it was silver :saint: Thats mad!

And i thought my insurance was expensive. Sudenly 200 quid a year dont seem to bad :saint: fully comp

And i thought my insurance was expensive. Sudenly 200 quid a year dont seem to bad :saint: fully comp

Ouch! Thats it, kick us why we're down! lol

• Like 1