Radio Speak

weedannyc

Whats the new script like? Obviously leaving out operational info, for an operator calling up an officer/car etc. I am writing a script for a school play about respecting the police

I'm confused as to how radio speak shows respect for Police...

I'm confused as to how radio speak shows respect for Police...

The play is all about respecting the police and part of the play shows officers using their radios and how the teenagers react to what is heard then it leads into some being arrested and then the boys start bigging it up to the officers and then the play pauses and they talk to the younger pupils and ask them what the boys should do and what the police officers should do

Whats the new script like? Obviously leaving out operational info, for an operator calling up an officer/car etc. I am writing a script for a school play about respecting the police

Well if it is just for a school play you can keep it basic can't you?

How old are you if you don't mind my asking?

Well if it is just for a school play you can keep it basic can't you?

How old are you if you don't mind my asking?

I'm 17 and I am staying on, and I want to apply to my local force asap. And its just because I want it to be really accurate , as to what teenagers may hear when they are beside the officers on the street

The play is all about respecting the police and part of the play shows officers using their radios and how the teenagers react to what is heard then it leads into some being arrested and then the boys start bigging it up to the officers and then the play pauses and they talk to the younger pupils and ask them what the boys should do and what the police officers should do

Ah ok, makes a bit more sense!!

Best bet would be to just go on youtube and watch some clips, at least then you can see exactly what/how it's said without us having to step right back to basics to avoid operational info

Ah ok, makes a bit more sense!!

Best bet would be to just go on youtube and watch some clips, at least then you can see exactly what/how it's said without us having to step right back to basics to avoid operational info

Yeah I'll do that, if the control room calls up the unit e.g. "Uniform Oscar to Oscar 1, over" and the officer replies " Oscar 1 receiving" do they have to keep saying the call signs before their messgae?

I'm 17 and I am staying on, and I want to apply to my local force asap. And its just because I want it to be really accurate , as to what teenagers may hear when they are beside the officers on the street

Keep it simple, for example -

'Golf Pappa 52 to control, are you receiving?'

'Can I have a persons check please on (give name)'

'Officers in need of assistance/ prisoner transport needed for 4 arrested persons at SOMEWHERE lane'

'Received'

It's only a play, you don't need specifics and knowledge of detailed legislation -

As I'm sure your fellow pupils will not need or be interested to know.

Good luck with your school play.

Keep it simple, for example -

'Golf Pappa 52 to control, are you receiving?'

'Can I have a persons check please on (give name)'

'Officers in need of assistance/ prisoner transport needed for 4 arrested persons at SOMEWHERE lane'

'Received'

It's only a play, you don't need specifics and knowledge of detailed legislation -

As I'm sure your fellow pupils will not need or be interested to know.

Good luck with your school play.

Thanks

Yeah I'll do that, if the control room calls up the unit e.g. "Uniform Oscar to Oscar 1, over" and the officer replies " Oscar 1 receiving" do they have to keep saying the call signs before their messgae?

I'd avoid the use of Oscar 1. Pick a three or four digit number for your police officer.

When in dialogue with control you don't normally keep saying your collar number when you reply. If you radio back to control after a break in conversation then you would normally announce yourself again, especially if it's busy but that's not relevant for your play.

I'd avoid the use of Oscar 1. Pick a three or four digit number for your police officer.

When in dialogue with control you don't normally keep saying your collar number when you reply. If you radio back to control after a break in conversation then you would normally announce yourself again, especially if it's busy but that's not relevant for your play.

Ok. Would Oscar 1 be used by a more senior officer?

In real life it's really unlikely someone who's suspected of being wanted/ having a check done on their name is going to hear it - the officer usually turns their handset down...just keep it simple...

The reality is that it is going to depend on each force which radio protocols they use. Certainly here, we are a lot more brief with the "wake up calls" - often simply stating just the callsign:

ES118: "Echo Sierra One One Eight"

Control: "Echo Sierra One One Eight, go ahead"

ES118: "Can I trouble you for a person check, please?"

Control: "Go ahead with details"

... etc ...

Or, in particularly harsh situations:

ES118: "Echo Sierra One One Eight, units please, Dance Nightclub"

Control: "Area units please to assist at Dance Nightclub"

EU12: "Echo Uniform One Two"

Control: "Echo Uniform One Two, thank you, any more?"

ER18: "Echo Romeo One Eight"

Control: "Echo Romeo One Eight, thank you, Echo Sierra One One Eight, welfare check?"

... etc ...

I have made up the callsigns here, they are not from my force area.

If you are more specific about what you want your officer to be saying, we can help further :saint:

The reality is that it is going to depend on each force which radio protocols they use. Certainly here, we are a lot more brief with the "wake up calls" - often simply stating just the callsign:

ES118: "Echo Sierra One One Eight"

Control: "Echo Sierra One One Eight, go ahead"

ES118: "Can I trouble you for a person check, please?"

Control: "Go ahead with details"

... etc ...

Or, in particularly harsh situations:

ES118: "Echo Sierra One One Eight, units please, Dance Nightclub"

Control: "Area units please to assist at Dance Nightclub"

EU12: "Echo Uniform One Two"

Control: "Echo Uniform One Two, thank you, any more?"

ER18: "Echo Romeo One Eight"

Control: "Echo Romeo One Eight, thank you, Echo Sierra One One Eight, welfare check?"

... etc ...

I have made up the callsigns here, they are not from my force area.

If you are more specific about what you want your officer to be saying, we can help further :strop:

Thanks, the officer will get confronted by a gang of youths after stopping them and draw ASP/CS. SO my calls would be like this probably-

UO30-Uniform Oscar from 30, assistance required <location>

UO-Attention all Uniform Oscarr units, UO30 is in need of urgent assistance at <location>, all free units please attend?

U1- Uniform 1

UO-Uniform 1. Any other units?

UO2-Uniform Oscar 2

UO74- Uniform Oscar 7-4

UO- Uniform Oscar to 30, units 1, Oscar 2 and 7-4 on way over

Then the play pauses and the narrator asks the pupils if the officer handled it properly or if they should have done something different and whether the boys should have done that

Thanks, the officer will get confronted by a gang of youths after stopping them and draw ASP/CS. SO my calls would be like this probably-

UO30-Uniform Oscar from 30, assistance required <location>

UO-Attention all Uniform Oscarr units, UO30 is in need of urgent assistance at <location>, all free units please attend?

U1- Uniform 1

UO-Uniform 1. Any other units?

UO2-Uniform Oscar 2

UO74- Uniform Oscar 7-4

UO- Uniform Oscar to 30, units 1, Oscar 2 and 7-4 on way over

Then the play pauses and the narrator asks the pupils if the officer handled it properly or if they should have done something different and whether the boys should have done that

I assume the situation has reached the point where the officers have had to defend themselves? If I was in this situation and being confronted by a gang with only myself and my colleague and felt the need to call for assistance, I would be pressing my emergency button! That way, it's just a case of shouting your location, no need to deal with callsigns, Control will know what to do, and every officer in the area will hear the emergency tone and your location!

If you wanted to specifically do the radio calls, then your script is pretty good, it communicates the point clearly enough so as to not confuse your audience. Certainly, control will ask the officers who called for assistance for an update as part of the next communication. They may not get an update - and a lack of communication back from officers is only going to increase the level of response.