Spam, Scam or not?

Administrative Account

Sometime before Christmas I registered on the Volvo website especially for their section on 'Volvo saved my life', and I told my story of how I survived an accident simply because we were in a Volvo.

It is an American site but was linked to directly from the official UK site.

Today I received an e-mail to my personal e-mail address I used to sign up which reads as follows

We're sending a package to you, on behalf of Volvo Cars, from the Volvo Saved My Life program. May we please have your telephone number in order to process the United Parcel Service international air waybill.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Patricia Mlinscek

Spam or Scam?

Why would they want/need my telephone number (which I did omit from the sign up page as it was optional)?

I just don't understand how they could scam you from a phone number when they already have my name and address.

Done a bit of googling and can find nothing untoward and neither anything positive.

Opinions please.

Cheers

Cheetah

I suppose they might want to talk through the incident on the phone. It's a pretty obscure lucky guess if it is a hoax, you could just email Volvo direct, also check the domain of the email address they want you to send it to to make sure it's a Volvo owned domain.

Personally I'd be tempted to pick up a free PAYG sim and stick it into a phone and give them that number just incase if you cannot confirm the sender.

Ask for an email address to contact them on. Make sure it's an @volvo.com or @volvo.co.uk address or an address that you can verify it from Volvo (you can do this via a whois lookup).

Looking at the companies website, it stats that Volvo is in partnership with them. I got no idea why they need a number, maybe reply and ask? But it currently doesn't look like a scam from the website (Volvo would of got it removed by now).

• 2 weeks later...

So I didn't want to admit it but I bit the bullet and sent my phone number to them. Wasn't going to admit in case it was a scam and I could have made myself look foolish.

Anyway, today I received a parcel from Volvo USA.

It contains a picture frame made from solid steel which holds 9 pictures. Across the top it says 'There's more to life than a Volvo' and across the bottom it says 'That's why you drive one'. I shall try to get a picture of it and post it here.

So it was all good and I'm now the proud(?) owner of a Volvo branded picture frame.

Cheers all :huh:

So I didn't want to admit it but I bit the bullet and sent my phone number to them. Wasn't going to admit in case it was a scam and I could have made myself look foolish.

It contains a picture frame made from solid steel which holds 9 pictures. Across the top it says 'There's more to life than a Volvo' and across the bottom it says 'That's why you drive one'. I shall try to get a picture of it and post it here.

So it was all good and I'm now the proud(?) owner of a Volvo branded picture frame.

Cheers all :huh:

Congrats on your prize... had I known this thread was here I could've answered your question due to experience from a previous job where I shipped hardware around the world. It's standard procedure for international couriers to request email, address and telephone contact details of the recipient, so that once it's reached the country of destination, if they are unable to locate the address it is supposed to be delivered to (or there is no answer at the address) they have a quick method of contact to ensure it can be delivered as soon as possible. thumbsup.gif

I've worked on Volvo buses, the most complicated bus company ever!! You have a nut and a bolt for the CAT/ exhaust mountings for example, any normal company would make both the nut and bolt head the same size but no Volvo don't! They use different sizes.. Part from that actually not to bad :whistle:

I've worked on Volvo buses, the most complicated bus company ever!! You have a nut and a bolt for the CAT/ exhaust mountings for example, any normal company would make both the nut and bolt head the same size but no Volvo don't! They use different sizes.. Part from that actually not to bad :whistle:

They do that on their cars too (or at least they used to). Very annoying.

They do that on their cars too (or at least they used to). Very annoying.

But in theory it means that you need half the number of spanners/sockets due to the fact that you don't need two of the same size to tighten one nut/bolt, so it sort of makes sense.

But in theory it means that you need half the number of spanners/sockets due to the fact that you don't need two of the same size to tighten one nut/bolt, so it sort of makes sense.

Good point actually! :unsure:

Cheers all :)

Glad you got a treat and not a scam mate lol :)