Satnav

Administrative Account

Satnav.

Budget of £120 for UK certainly, Europe not necessary though if it's on there then fine.

Which one?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrative Account

• GordonH

• marksie1988

• Doghandler2009

Top Posters In This Topic

I tend to use satnav on my iPhone now David, so sorry I can't be much help there.

I've always prefered tomtom's personally. They all come with the standard maps, speed cameras etc but i'd look out for one with IQ routes which simply means that the tomtom can take you a different route based on the time of day you want to travel, for example a different route during rush hour than the middle of the night.

The most basic model is the tomtom start (v2 just been released) neither have IQ routes.

Then you've probably got the tomtom one / one XL which V2 has also just been released.

If you're not in desperate need keep checking out hotukdeals as they often have satnav offers listed. :whistle:

Just found this listed on there actually, seems a good offer and you'll get the same good service from the ebay outlet link

Edited by CSC1

Aww :D

I can't help being rubbish at all this technology.

You cannot go wrong really with the TomTom units, but I would avoid the 'Start' units as I think they removed some features from these that messed them up a bit.

I assume you don't need anything fancy, David? You ought to be able to get a TomTom One for well under £100, which would do anything I'd expect you'd need to!

As an alternative...

What phone do you have - are you due an upgrade soon? I have a couple of sat nav applications on my phone... Co Pilot (£25, one off fee for life with updates!) and Google Navigation, which is basic, but very clear and free. I don't have a stand alone sat nav anymore - I don't find I need one (and you know what I'm like with gadgets)...!

Just seen theis one if you want a large screen, Euro maps and 5 inch screen. Doesn't do LIVE but you probably don't want/need that.

http://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/products/car-navigation/xxl-iq-routes-europe/index.jsp

£170 from TomTom, but typed the model into Google and found

Dixons for £122.09 (with free delivery) which looks a great deal.

Yes, I agree with Hades, I use satnav on my iPhone now so I can't see the point of buying a standalone device. The app I use is called Navfree.

What phone do you have - are you due an upgrade soon?

A Nokia and it does have mapping but it seems expensive to use and not very good for car use.

I've rented them wit a car over the past 2 years and though it's only amounted to around 2 weeks, I might well have bought a new one.

I have a tomtom all other satnavs that I have used include Navman garmin.

I would say that unless you can get the tomtom app on your phone I would buy a tomtom. They are by far the easiest to navigate have the best instructions on the device and most importantly make it very clear where and when to turn by voice and by image which I find other sat navs fail miserably at.

I would say that unless you can get the tomtom app on your phone I would buy a tomtom. They are by far the easiest to navigate have the best instructions on the device and most importantly make it very clear where and when to turn by voice and by image which I find other sat navs fail miserably at.

And you can even have Brian Blessed if you want.

http://brianblessed.tomtom.com/index-brianblessed.php?Lid=1

A Nokia and it does have mapping but it seems expensive to use and not very good for car use.

I've rented them wit a car over the past 2 years and though it's only amounted to around 2 weeks, I might well have bought a new one.

Thinking about it, it's probably not sensible to suggest you get a Smartphone :D

I'd get the cheapest TomTom you can find seeing as it's only for about 2 weeks a years use... That TomTom Start posted by somebody else above at just over quid would do the trick I think. I personally think it'd be a waste to spend much more than that unless you specifically want features that aren't available on that model given that you're hardly going to be using it.

I'm a big fan of TomTom personally, but I think there are other alternatives now that are just as clear (or more clear) and that represent excellent value for money. As an example, other than the text input on my Co Pilot software on my phone being a big clumsy the rest of the package is just as good as TomTom or better, and on top of that it only cost 25 quid and can be transferred between phones and comes with speed cameras and other updates free!

I recently got a garmin nuvi from pc world £99 that has a big screen traffic the lot i like it and cheaper and smaller than tom tom also very easy to use

I love my tomtom. I keep it in my patrol car. My personal vehicle has a built in navi but I prefer the tomtom. It is a bit more flexible and has a lot of the local roads that others sometimes don't.