New Giraffe-mobile

Giraffe

I'm due for an upgrade and am currently paying a total of £40.85 a month for a tariff that I'm massively underusing. Basically for that I get 'unlimited' internet, blackberry e-mail, and a combination of 900 minutes/1800 texts, but in reality I probably only use about 400-500 minutes and about 50 texts a month.

I'm going to call up the cancellations department in the week, to see if I can haggle them down. The thing is I absolutely do not want to be tied into a 24 month tariff - I think 18 months is too long as it is. The phone I'm after is a Blackberry 3G (9300), and I'm prepared to pay around £25 a month for that 18 month period.

The best deal I could find online was for T-Mobile, Orange and Vodaphone, who by co-incidence all offer 300 minutes (which is not enough for me anyway), unlimited texts and 500MB internet via uswitch, for £25.54 a month.

Has anyone else managed to wrangle a good deal on their phone renewal, and if so what did you manage to get? Any tips on how to haggle? I may just go straight in and ask to stay on my existing contract for 18 months and say that I only want to pay £25 a month and see what they say.

curve_9300_views_angled.jpg

curve_9300_views_front.jpg

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Switch

• LankyDan

• CSC1

I recently negotiated a better contract then I was on and than they were advertising. Firstly I did my research into what other companys were offering and used that as a slight barganing tool, I also asked for less than I knew they'd be able to give me so if you want X and Y for £25 a month try asking for it for £20 a month first.

I also worked out the cost of the phone (on PAYG for example) and then the ammount it would cost me to go on a sim only contract for say 18 months to give a total cost of doing it that way as it may work out cheaper.

I also know orange work in bands for their customers, 1 being the lowest and it goes to at least 5. I found out that I'm band 4 or 5 and therefore considered to be one of their better customers so more likely to get a better offer, dont be afraid to use it.

I find it really depends on who you're speaking to on the phone as well as some people can be more helpful than others. I found phoning up got me a better deal than in store as they had more leniancy ;)

Edit - I got an 18 month contract £30 a month for unlimited internet, 600 minutes and unlimited texts and a fre HTC desire.

I cut the sim down, popped it in my iPhone and a mate is currently using my HTC :aok: Much better than the specific iPhone contracts they offer which in my opinion are a total rip off!

Edited by CSC1

How did you find out your banding for Orange?

Due for a renewal in November.

I agree with Giraffe though, 24 months is way too long.

Although compared to you I don't think mine is that bad... £24 a Month.

Blackberry Curve 8520.

200 Minutes and Unlimited texts. With unlimited internet and e-mail.

Although I clearly don't use as many minutes as you I have never gone over, and once all the kids on a school trip used it to call home and say we would be late. I would say I would be fine with 50 minutes!

Watching this thread!

Edit: First contract too.

Edited by dan1991123

That's good advice, thanks CSC1. I used to have mobile broadband with them too, and at that time was spending close to £80 a month with them, so was probably classed quite highly at that time. Still by bills aren't exactly low and I've been with them for a long time (about five years now), so I'd hope they see me as a good customer.

I'll give it a couple of days to do some more research as you say and then I'll jot down all the questions I want to ask them. I'm not afraid to cancel either, so if I see a better deal elsewhere, and they won't go slightly better than it, then I will take my money elsewhere.

Although I clearly don't use as many minutes as you I have never gone over, and once all the kids on a school trip used it to call home and say we would be late. I would say I would be fine with 50 minutes!

Watching this thread!

I guess mine's more as I have the option of using my phone an awful lot more at no extra cost if I wanted to. In some respects though I like the safety cushion of having more minutes than I need, as they charge about 20p a minute when you go over your allowance. I wouldn't be happy with just 500 free minutes as I wouldn't want the risk of running over, although I suppose I could just keep tabs on it and text a bit more than I currently do.

• Like 1

I guess mine's more as I have the option of using my phone an awful lot more at no extra cost if I wanted to. In some respects though I like the safety cushion of having more minutes than I need, as they charge about 20p a minute when you go over your allowance. I wouldn't be happy with just 500 free minutes as I wouldn't want the risk of running over, although I suppose I could just keep tabs on it and text a bit more than I currently do.

One thing they might try and do is up your allowances, you have already said above that you have enough minutes and texts. Some people think they are doing you a good deal by upping them but in reality you will never use them.

That's good advice, thanks CSC1. I used to have mobile broadband with them too, and at that time was spending close to £80 a month with them, so was probably classed quite highly at that time. Still by bills aren't exactly low and I've been with them for a long time (about five years now), so I'd hope they see me as a good customer.

I tried to negotiate an iPhone contract with them first but they wouldnt do me any sort of deal hence my decision to cut a sim down even though I had been with them for 5 years!

I believe someone at Orange actually told me my band, just ask, it'l be on their system. I think if you go over your contract & have extras it increases your band.

Just checked my last months usage and I only used 192/600 minutes, 658/unlimited texts and 142MB of data. But like you i'd rather have more minutes than less as they do charge a fair bit for over use and part of the reason I wanted to stay on orange is the numbers I ring often are my magic numbers, didnt tel them that during negotiations though :(

When I saw the topic, I thought this was the type of Giraffemobile you were after...

Safari_Giraffe_car_lg.jpg

• Like 3

hi giraffe,

i can give you an extremely biased bit of advice as i work for vodafone! :-) are you sure its the 9300 3G curve you want? as the one you have pictured is the 8520 2G curve? the deal you've quoted is spot on, 300 minutes unlimited texts and 500 mb of data for £25 per month over 18 months (£20 per month on 24 months) and the phone for free obviously. if you were to go into a vodafone store you could benefit from an deal we've been given carte blanche to offer which is 2 months free line rental so your account would be credited with £50.

hope i've been of some kind of help!

any questions just fire away!

porge88

I am with 3, and renewed recently after being annoyed at them and their poor reception where I work/used to live.

I renewed with an (I think) 18 month contract for £25, getting 500 minutes and 5k texts, with unlimited (1gb) internet, with a Galaxy S.

Also, if you have internet on your terminal you don't have to pay extra for the "blackberry mail", as I've seen advertised it like that in several places. You can get your email with basic internet.

Also (2) I think you should consider the OS of the phone. iOS is pretty restrictive, Symbian is nearly dead/dying, Blackberry seems too lacking for me, and Windows is a joke in phones. Then you have Android, and having to learn how to adapt it to you.

You could also consider buying a terminal (or using the one you have) and going for a sim only contract, maybe even on a monthly rolling contract.

If you can go into a shop to haggle rather than doing it over the phone. I managed to get a much better deal than than I would be offered otherwise and you can get store managers discount discretion.

I've just renewed my contract with Vodafone, they upgraded me to a BB Torch for £28 and I could have sold my 8900 Curve for £60(gave it to one of the kids instead).

I have reduced my monthly tariff from £35 to £30; this is actually an increase of £5 p/m as I was getting a £10 discount from previous re-negotiations but due to the way Vodafone always manage to balls up my bills I'm sure I'll be back down to £25 p/m soon. The downside is the 24 month contract, they seem to be all the rage.

Edited by oddbod

My last phone I got a good saving by buying the phone outright as sim-free and getting a good sim only tariff, especially as my network of choice didn't do my phone at the time. The total cost of ownership over 2 years was less than a contract, and I could get out of it whenever I wanted. The only downside was the initial outlay.

Get a iPhone or I'll disown you Giraffe!

Yeah, right! There's no way in hell I'm getting an iPhone! Far too commercial! :rolleyes:

I tried to negotiate an iPhone contract with them first but they wouldnt do me any sort of deal hence my decision to cut a sim down even though I had been with them for 5 years!

I believe someone at Orange actually told me my band, just ask, it'l be on their system. I think if you go over your contract & have extras it increases your band.

Just checked my last months usage and I only used 192/600 minutes, 658/unlimited texts and 142MB of data. But like you i'd rather have more minutes than less as they do charge a fair bit for over use and part of the reason I wanted to stay on orange is the numbers I ring often are my magic numbers, didnt tel them that during negotiations though ;)

That's good advice. I notice t-mobile have also reduced their supposedly 'unlimited' data allowance from 1GB to 500MB on new contracts. I very much doubt I use anywhere near 500MB anyway, as I tend to just read news articles, wapedia and this site (lo-fi, naturally :D) on it. Their website for some reason always says that I have not used any of my data allowance, even though I have.

When I saw the topic, I thought this was the type of Giraffemobile you were after...

Safari_Giraffe_car_lg.jpg

Lol, no I haven't got a licence for one of those. :D

hi giraffe,

i can give you an extremely biased bit of advice as i work for vodafone! :-) are you sure its the 9300 3G curve you want? as the one you have pictured is the 8520 2G curve? the deal you've quoted is spot on, 300 minutes unlimited texts and 500 mb of data for £25 per month over 18 months (£20 per month on 24 months) and the phone for free obviously. if you were to go into a vodafone store you could benefit from an deal we've been given carte blanche to offer which is 2 months free line rental so your account would be credited with £50.

hope i've been of some kind of help!

any questions just fire away!

porge88

Oops! They both look the same! I've updated the picture in my first post to show what I think is the correct model. It's definitely the 3G one that I want.

I may use that two month deal as a bargaining chip with t-mobile, as it sounds pretty good. I will need to find a tariff that includes around 500 minutes though, so if I move to Vodaphone the line rental will be more than I'm looking to pay.

I am with 3, and renewed recently after being annoyed at them and their poor reception where I work/used to live.

I renewed with an (I think) 18 month contract for £25, getting 500 minutes and 5k texts, with unlimited (1gb) internet, with a Galaxy S.

Also, if you have internet on your terminal you don't have to pay extra for the "blackberry mail", as I've seen advertised it like that in several places. You can get your email with basic internet.

Also (2) I think you should consider the OS of the phone. iOS is pretty restrictive, Symbian is nearly dead/dying, Blackberry seems too lacking for me, and Windows is a joke in phones. Then you have Android, and having to learn how to adapt it to you.

You could also consider buying a terminal (or using the one you have) and going for a sim only contract, maybe even on a monthly rolling contract.

One of my friends advised me about the poor reception on 3 already. I saw an offer with them for (from memory) 500 minutes and 500 texts for £20 a month, but I cannot remember what phones you can get with that, but I'm sure one was a HTC. Whether it includes data usage in the £20 I'm not sure, but again another stick to beat t-mobile with if nothing else. They may allow me to have that for minutes and texts plus a fiver for the data and the blackberry e-mail as my free bolt on, which would come to £25 and cover all my usage, although the deal you got is clearly better in terms of what you get for that money.

I don't think I'll go for a SIM only, as I don't really want to pay all that moolah up front when I'm saving for my flat.

If you can go into a shop to haggle rather than doing it over the phone. I managed to get a much better deal than than I would be offered otherwise and you can get store managers discount discretion.

A shop would be my preferred option, as I like the flexibility of being able to just pick up a phone on my lunch break, than faffing about collecting a box from the post office that couldn't be delivered as nobody was in. My Sgt recently had an issue with t-mobile claiming that a phone had been delivered to her house - it turned out one of the kids at her neighbour's house had signed for it and forgot to mention it to her for the best part of a week.

I've just renewed my contract with Vodafone, they upgraded me to a BB Torch for £28 and I could have sold my 8900 Curve for £60(gave it to one of the kids instead).

I have reduced my monthly tariff from £35 to £30; this is actually an increase of £5 p/m as I was getting a £10 discount from previous re-negotiations but due to the way Vodafone always manage to balls up my bills I'm sure I'll be back down to £25 p/m soon. The downside is the 24 month contract, they seem to be all the rage.

Yeah that annoys me that they are upping all the contracts to 24 months. I'm going to wrangle an 18 month one, at the worst case scenario I'll probably be paying about a fiver more per month for the privilege.

My last phone I got a good saving by buying the phone outright as sim-free and getting a good sim only tariff, especially as my network of choice didn't do my phone at the time. The total cost of ownership over 2 years was less than a contract, and I could get out of it whenever I wanted. The only downside was the initial outlay.

Yeah I think the initial outlay would put me off, although if I were sensible it would cost me less in the long run.

Thanks all for you advice! :aok: I will let you know what I end up getting - my renewal is due tomorrow and my phone's falling to bits so I won't be wasting any time upgrading! :D

Yeah, right! There's no way in hell I'm getting an iPhone! Far too commercial! :rolleyes:

That's good advice. I notice t-mobile have also reduced their supposedly 'unlimited' data allowance from 1GB to 500MB on new contracts. I very much doubt I use anywhere near 500MB anyway, as I tend to just read news articles, wapedia and this site (lo-fi, naturally :D) on it. Their website for some reason always says that I have not used any of my data allowance, even though I have.

Lol, no I haven't got a licence for one of those. :D

Oops! They both look the same! I've updated the picture in my first post to show what I think is the correct model. It's definitely the 3G one that I want.

I may use that two month deal as a bargaining chip with t-mobile, as it sounds pretty good. I will need to find a tariff that includes around 500 minutes though, so if I move to Vodaphone the line rental will be more than I'm looking to pay.

One of my friends advised me about the poor reception on 3 already. I saw an offer with them for (from memory) 500 minutes and 500 texts for £20 a month, but I cannot remember what phones you can get with that, but I'm sure one was a HTC. Whether it includes data usage in the £20 I'm not sure, but again another stick to beat t-mobile with if nothing else. They may allow me to have that for minutes and texts plus a fiver for the data and the blackberry e-mail as my free bolt on, which would come to £25 and cover all my usage, although the deal you got is clearly better in terms of what you get for that money.

I don't think I'll go for a SIM only, as I don't really want to pay all that moolah up front when I'm saving for my flat.

A shop would be my preferred option, as I like the flexibility of being able to just pick up a phone on my lunch break, than faffing about collecting a box from the post office that couldn't be delivered as nobody was in. My Sgt recently had an issue with t-mobile claiming that a phone had been delivered to her house - it turned out one of the kids at her neighbour's house had signed for it and forgot to mention it to her for the best part of a week.

Yeah that annoys me that they are upping all the contracts to 24 months. I'm going to wrangle an 18 month one, at the worst case scenario I'll probably be paying about a fiver more per month for the privilege.

Yeah I think the initial outlay would put me off, although if I were sensible it would cost me less in the long run.

Thanks all for you advice! :aok: I will let you know what I end up getting - my renewal is due tomorrow and my phone's falling to bits so I won't be wasting any time upgrading! :D

*Not a happy Ben!*