Computer Passwords

Administrative Account

Hiya! :yawn:

Here is the problem - my old Windows XP that I use here at work which is about 2004 vintage is on it's last legs. I have ordered a new PC but lots of the programmes I use have stored passwords and I can't remember what they are so I can install these programmes on the new PC.

I have seen software like Asterix Logger, but I installed this and had no idea what to do with it as it looks really complicated!

What I want to do is print out a list of all the passwords on the programmes on the PC.

Any ideas?

Hi Rocket,

There is no easy solution to your issue. It depends alot on the programs in question.

For example if you use and FTP program for transferring files, then alot of the clients store the passwords in a "clear text" file, where as a banking program will probably store the password in an encrypted database.

Email accounts are relatively easy to transfer as you will be more than likely using Outlook Express (password stored in the database files which you migrate) or Outlook (account setting stored in windows registry).

To assist you further can you list the programs with stored passwords?

Most programs do store your passwords locally on your machine, so although tedious, and without knowing exactly which programs you're asking about, your best bet is to Google each program name and the location of the password database for each program. When you get your new machine, copy that file onto a USB stick (or similar) and paste the file into the same location into the same program on the new machine.

Also in future consider using something like Lastpass, see http://www.lastpass.com. If you could set that up on your old machine, you won't have to worry about importing passwords onto your new machine as they will sync automatically when you install Lastpass on your new machine. Using that will also make sure you won't forget another password again, so you'll never come across the same problem again! :prone:

I use http://www.hashapass.com/ to remember passwords when I'm on the move and I have access to the internet.

Using a parameter+master password it generates a pretty strong password that you can later recall using the same combination.

For example, my gmail password would be recreated by: gmail as parameter, yawnpassword as master pasword (common for me, easy to remember), and the password would be jO3Lc0wL, always, anywhere, as long as I'm using those 2 parameters.

Rocket, if you have a list of software you need the passwords for, we can try to help :whistle:

However, by the wording of your question, I'm not sure whether you're asking for passwords, or for serial numbers (the ones at the back of the boxes, cd/dvds, etc), required to install the software?

Rocket, if you have a list of software you need the passwords for, we can try to help :whistle:

As we're all aware, so long as it's legal of course :D

As we're all aware, so long as it's legal of course :)

I wasn't suggesting hacking into his computer :D

• 5 weeks later...

I wasn't suggesting hacking into his computer :(

or stealing the software? :(

Hiya! :w00t:

Here is the problem - my old Windows XP that I use here at work which is about 2004 vintage is on it's last legs. I have ordered a new PC but lots of the programmes I use have stored passwords and I can't remember what they are so I can install these programmes on the new PC.

I have seen software like Asterix Logger, but I installed this and had no idea what to do with it as it looks really complicated!

What I want to do is print out a list of all the passwords on the programmes on the PC.

Any ideas?

Some programs store your preferences in the Windows Registry rather than application data. You might find that simply entering the registry, locating the key in both the HKEY current user and local machine for the software in question and then importing this on your new computer might help - this is how the windows distribution and RIS (Remote Installation Service) apply passwords and serial numbers to all deployed computers on a network without having to store the password on every computer...