Renault Clio "Hunting" Majorly

RyanF109

Let me set the scene for you... I'm on the dual carriageway traveling at 60mph in my 1.2 Renault Clio (2002 MK2). I decide I want to overtake Miss Daisy in front of me before the roundabout I'm approaching, so I put the foot down (not that it does much in my Clio)....

Suddenly, I think (not sure) the clutch disengages and this happens (more description on the video)

So I have to pull over and wait for the problem to rectify its self. This has happened more than once and it's getting very irritating. Does anybody know what's going on here?

Oh-so difficult to tell over the inteweb, but the old sensor swapping game can end up an expensive way to getting no closer to solving the problem. As a bit of a guess have a look and see if anything visually appears wrong and from there make sure you're getting good spark and fuel supply. If that little diagnostics light stays on it might be worth getting a mate with a reader or shelling out £20 at ATS Euromaster or similar to see if they can at least extract the error codes - they can be looked up on the internet.

I'll be blunt

I suspect you have an engine management electronics fault most likely caused by a short in the system somewhere. The clio has an electronic throttle (as do most cars these days) which is why when you have an engine management fault you have no accelerator response.

Because of the fault the engine management system is unable to send a proper control signal which is why the engine sticks to one set of revs and doesn't change despite throttle pedal changes.

I had a similar thing with my Corsa a few weeks ago except my fault was in the battery (it had shorted across the bonnet) The engine wouldn't start on the key (but the ancillaries would) and a bump start would cause the engine to idle but be unresponsive.

In your case the fault has occured at high revs (those for roughly 60mph I'm guessing) so the physical throttle (the one inside the engine) is in the same position as before which is why (because of the maount of air being sucked into the engine) the engine starts and immediately goes to the same rev level until the fault clears and the physical throttle then responds to the new throttle value.

My suggestion is to get it to a garage and get your wiring and engine management looked at (i.e get them to 'read' your ECU which stores fault data).

Edited by Burnie

I had this fault with my 51 plate clio but as it was intermittent it never got fixed. It was taken to the renault garage several times (costing me a small fortune) and also a local independent garage who both said they could find no such fault. Renault did replace some parts, the coil packs I think off the top of my head but it didnt fix the issue. They both looked at the ECU as suggested above and nothing was found there either :yawn:

From looking online it was a common fault on these cars but nobody seemed to have a definate solution. I could put my car into gear and take all my feet off the pedals and it would drive along quite happily!!!! Also as I was breaking the car was trying to accelerate so I always had to put the clutch down when wanting to brake.

In the end I got so sick of this I got rid of the car and purchased a lovely Ford :yawn:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I would suggest a download, Im a auto elctrician but the fault you discribe is sooooooooo broad it could be anything, so dont geuss or let your mates say its this or that.

I had this fault with my 51 plate clio but as it was intermittent it never got fixed. It was taken to the renault garage several times (costing me a small fortune) and also a local independent garage who both said they could find no such fault. Renault did replace some parts, the coil packs I think off the top of my head but it didnt fix the issue. They both looked at the ECU as suggested above and nothing was found there either :)

From looking online it was a common fault on these cars but nobody seemed to have a definate solution. I could put my car into gear and take all my feet off the pedals and it would drive along quite happily!!!! Also as I was breaking the car was trying to accelerate so I always had to put the clutch down when wanting to brake.

In the end I got so sick of this I got rid of the car and purchased a lovely Ford :D

air leak, or idle air control valve very common cause.

• 9 months later...

Problem Finally solved. It is an extremely common problem with 2001 - 2002 "Facelifted" Clios, early models had electronic throttle bodies but these were doing this exact thing so often that they go rid of the electronic ones after a while.

So to reitirate, according to my garage; electronic throttle body is the most likely cause of this in Clios, and it is so 90% of the time.

I purchased a used (tested and guaranteed) one online for £150.

Also: Contrary to the original post, the clutch did not disengage. I could still drive, just very slowly!

Edited by RyanF109