Towing on motorway

aleydin_karateke

Hi all,

I have bought a car recently and I was wondering if I am allowed to tow it on the motorway. The car is taxed and MOT'd and will also be insured. I will be using a towing bar (not rope). Am I allowed to legally tow it on the motorway? Any responses will be much appreciated. Thanks

Our standard disclaimer: This forum is not intended as a legal advice drop-in centre. PoliceSpecials.com disclaims any and all responsibility or liability for the accuracy, content, completeness, legality, reliability, operability or availability of information or material on this site, including - but not limited to - the documents available in the 'Reference Library' and 'Downloads' areas.

Please note that comments and advice given here with the best of intentions by the host, moderators or other users of the forum may not be correct, and that any advice given, in particular advice on the law and its application, is no substitute for personal legal advice from a solicitor.

Recovery operators use a fixed bar with no problems so I can't foresee any issues. :rolleyes:

As far as I'm aware yes, but in 1st lane only

Edited by Alison

I have towed and been towed on a motorway before.

Few things to remember

The towed vehicle, if it has power (electrical) should ensure they have the ignition on so that brake lights and indicators can be used and seen (but bear in mind that without the engine running the brakes on the car being towed will not work as easily), if there is no power you will need to have a towing bar with lights coupled to the towing car.

The vehicle should be displaying a clear and visible sign showing 'ON TOW' and you shouldn't drive with hazards on.

The vehicle being towed will need to be insured and the person will need to have the appropriate insurance as if they were driving it.

I believe the maximum speed you can tow at is 50mph.

All of the above was adhered to on one tow I did over a great distance and during the tow at least three marked police vehicle followed us for a while, pulled alongside to look at the towing arrangement and then sped off.

If it is a long distance then I would recommend buying a pair of walkie talkies (really cheap ones will do) so that the two cars can communicate. Walkie talkies are not covered by mobile phone regulations but you must make sure you are in full control of the vehicles at all times.

Last bit of advice, I have towed and been towed at busy times and at dusk as well as quieter times. Unless there is a mad urgency to get the towed vehicle somewhere then do it in broad daylight and at the quietest time possible. It is VERY scary being towed at 50mph on a busy motorway, trust me, I speak from experience.

It can be very scary on a motorway full stop, if you're not used to driving on one. :aok:

And please don't forget to DISENGAGE the steering lock / ensure the steering lock will not engage on the towed vehicle...

Friend of a friend found out that one in the '£4000 of damage' way...

As Cheetah said, being towed is an incredibly hard work.

The clutch went on my mrs car last year and her old man towed me in it to his garage so we could fix it, it was only 11 miles or so but it was NSL B-roads and the concentration required is immense. It was the longest 20 minutes of my life and I was dripping sweat and exhausted. It was quite an old car, and we were very lucky as just round the corner from the destination I missed the braking just a bit after getting it right the whole way, and ended up pulling the towing eye out and the front bumper came with it! :aok: Only doing about 15mph but it was horrible.