Oil leak on vectra

Random~name

Just topped the oil up on the car ( was a bit annoyed because I only put in a fresh amount about 6 months ago and the light started flashing again ). When I'd finished the journey the wife noticed a smell and saw some White smoke coming from under the bonnet. After it'd cooled down and the smoke stopped I checked the dip stick and saw my oil level was low after just being topped up. I put a little bit more in and saw there was a small trickle of oil coming from underneath where the entry for the oil is and this was dripping onto the engine. This appearedto be causing the smoke. Any suggestions or ideas how much I'm going to have tofork out?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Random~name

• ds1989

• Administrative Account

• rick_preston

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you mean the oil was coming out of the oil filler cap hole?

No further info so I'll take a guess.

1) Cam cover gasket

2) Warped/deformed cam cover not sealing on gasket face (check cam cover is flat once off with some 'engineers blue' , some paper and a dead flat surface)

3) Blocked engine breathers

4) Oil filler cap seal needs replacing

5) Excessive back-pressure in crank case causing oil and gas to vent out wherever it can.

If there is excessive air in the sum maybe a piston ring is leaking and forcing air in to the sump pushing out oil out of gaskets etc, also check the breather pipe.

Sorry. It's got a slight leak just underneath where the filler cap is. It's only trickling out but as I'm completely clueless when it comes to cars I couldn't really help with if it is the sump or not.

Sorry. It's got a slight leak just underneath where the filler cap is. It's only trickling out but as I'm completely clueless when it comes to cars I couldn't really help with if it is the sump or not.

The sump is at the very bottom of the engine, so unlikely to be there. More likely to be coming from the cam cover area.

Can you take a picture and post it here?

post-6840-0-84102800-1297111115_thumb.jpg

post-6840-0-98433100-1297111133_thumb.jpg

post-6840-0-74549200-1297111146_thumb.jpg

The first two are just of the area that is affected - the third one is as I pour oil into the filler - its as though it's just dropping straight through right onto the engine area..

post-6840-0-84102800-1297111115_thumb.jpg

post-6840-0-98433100-1297111133_thumb.jpg

post-6840-0-74549200-1297111146_thumb.jpg

The first two are just of the area that is affected - the third one is as I pour oil into the filler - its as though it's just dropping straight through right onto the engine area..

I can't seem to get those thumbnail pictures to open up from my PC at home, I'll have a look tomorrow on the work computer.

From what you say there though about the oil pouring straight out it does sound like the cam cover gasket is leaking (or the cam cover itself is loose or some securing bolts are missing)

I can't seem to get those thumbnail pictures to open up from my PC at home, I'll have a look tomorrow on the work computer.

From what you say there though about the oil pouring straight out it does sound like the cam cover gasket is leaking (or the cam cover itself is loose or some securing bolts are missing)

Which will either be very expensive or very cheap to fix I guess.

Joy.

I bought the car 18 months ago, within 3 months needed a new clutch (old one was for the wrong model completely), has 2 new tyres, new suspension springs, new brakes all over, new complete exhaust system and a new air flow regulator. I might as well have just bought a brand new car at the rate I'm paying out to fix it.

Take the plastic engine cover off and repost pics two torx screws and the oil filler cap hold it down. Its hard to give you an answer with it on. Putting oil in once in 6 months is good, i wouldnt worry about that. Ive seen these use a liter every 500 miles ! You say oil is coming out as you pour it in? Try pouring it in slower ;).

Is it coming out of the actual hose? is there anything rubbing against the hose?

Will have to take the cover off tomorrow too dark now. Pouring it slower still comes out the same.

I can't get under it to see if it's from the hose. Car is parked on a busy main road so too dangerous at the moment and too dark now will have a look tomorrow

Yes it is always best to leave it til the day, you'll start losing things in the dark, at my old job was changing an injector of a double decker bus (cummins ISC 9.0 litre for those who are familiar with PCV vehicles) but I was changing it in the yard and it started getting dark, then somehow 'lost' the injector! (which is around 6 inches long!) thought i'd share that little story!

Which will either be very expensive or very cheap to fix I guess.

Joy.

I bought the car 18 months ago, within 3 months needed a new clutch (old one was for the wrong model completely), has 2 new tyres, new suspension springs, new brakes all over, new complete exhaust system and a new air flow regulator. I might as well have just bought a brand new car at the rate I'm paying out to fix it.

A new gasket will be expensive but not mega expensive as long as you don't take it to a Vauxhall dealership. Your rokerbox cover (or cam casing as it's now known) is an easy gasket to change. if it is the head gasket (which is very likely!) that will be expensive as you'll need to have the head re-skimmed, even if it looks fine always have the head skimmed as it's false economy not too.

The big mistake you've made there is that you've bought a Vauxhall!!!! They are nowhere near as good as the used to be.

My advice is clean the engine up and trade it in as if you've been running it with oil low enough to bring the pressure warning on the dash you've already done damage to the engine so I would get rid now.

And remember, you should check the oil, water, power steering fluid, brake fluid and clutch fluid at least once a week!

Edited by mdon