Cards/ ID Theft

maka

Okay story is: i get an email (names etc changed as this is public)

'Dear FEMALE NAME:

Your statement is now available for your SOMEBANK Credit Card account.

Sign on at www.SOMEBANK.com to view your statement, pay your bill, view transactions, set up customized account alerts and more!

Want help remembering your payment due date? Sign up for automated alerts such as Payment Due reminders with SOMEBANK Alerting Service.

To set up alerts sign on to www.SOMEBANK.com and go to Account Profile'

This email is addressed to a lass, which, I am not one.... and comes to my email (just mine not others) and has the same surname and the site checks out as valid. (as in for in this case 'SOMEBANK')

McAfee Site safe gives it a green and i've made additional checks.

thing is also the currency is dollars, im usually quite good with tech, but this one puzzles me!

any ideas if it is just spam, or i could have "been had"

Why dont you use experian or credit expert's free trial and find out what credit etc is in your name?

In all honesty it's probably just spam, but you could always report the email to the bank for them to look into ;)

i've always been dubious signing up for that, as it is free yeah, but i dont want to do it incase its an ass to get out of.

could my bank do a check if i go and raise suspicion.

I dont think your bank could check, not unless the card was from your bank.

If you'd rather not sign up to a free trial im sure you can send off for your report via post instead for a fee of like £2 or something.

Okay story is: i get an email (names etc changed as this is public)

This email is addressed to a lass, which, I am not one.... and comes to my email (just mine not others) and has the same surname and the site checks out as valid. (as in for in this case 'SOMEBANK')

McAfee Site safe gives it a green and i've made additional checks.

thing is also the currency is dollars, im usually quite good with tech, but this one puzzles me!

any ideas if it is just spam, or i could have "been had"

Pretty simple really... someone gave your email address....

yeah but it#s not one you would usually guess or suchlike, so its pretty random.

odd if you did have a card, you wouldn't want someone getting your statements!

Sounds like a legitimate way to get some info from you.

By legitimate I mean "if you are one of the nasties that will later on sell your ID over the internet".

http://www.anti-phishing.info/

Giving us some more info on the bank would help :huh:

Also check that the link from the email and the bank per se are the same, and not very similar.

Edited by Wcarnby