Understanding HDMI

Alan Partridge

All

I have an HD graphics card as well as an HD monitor and they are currently connected via a DVI cable but I am unsure as to whether they have to be connected via an HDMI cable or not in order to receive full HD picture quality

Thanks in advance

Officer Slater

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wcarnby

• Burnsy2023

• marksie1988

• Alan Partridge

Simple answer - Yes :w00t:

Long Answer - Picture quality is usually the same but only HDMI will usually transmit sound + picture as oppose to just picture.

Edited by CSC1

DVI will give you 1080p picture and max possible frame rate, provided the monitor refresh time is low enough. Its just the sound it doesn't handle. I've got two 22" 1080p monitors on my computer, both hooked up by DVI.

Edited by callsign-kid

I have a monitor connected through dvi->vga (as I can't be bothered to buy a dvi cable) and connected to the tv using HDMI (and transmitting audio, too).

Remember not to spend more than £5-10 on an HDMI cable :]

Cheers guys :w00t:

I'm probably just going to stick with my DVI cable

I have a monitor connected through dvi->vga (as I can't be bothered to buy a dvi cable) and connected to the tv using HDMI (and transmitting audio, too).

Remember not to spend more than £5-10 on an HDMI cable :]

You'll get a sharper picture if you use a DVI cable as you're currently using an analogue signal, not a digital one.

Also cheap hdmi cables don't always work that great you will notice that the sound and picture sometimes black out for a second when the bandwidth on the hdmi cable maxes out.

Dvi will never have this issue and you will also get better than 1080p when it is released.

Also cheap hdmi cables don't always work that great you will notice that the sound and picture sometimes black out for a second when the bandwidth on the hdmi cable maxes out.

This makes no sense whatsoever. Cheap cables have the same 'bandwidth' as expensive ones.

Dvi will never have this issue and you will also get better than 1080p when it is released.

The second major revision of HDMI also supports higher resolutions. DVI also has maximum supported resolutions just as HDMI does.

This makes no sense whatsoever. Cheap cables have the same 'bandwidth' as expensive ones.

The second major revision of HDMI also supports higher resolutions. DVI also has maximum supported resolutions just as HDMI does.

yes they do but i have had this issue myself and proved that the cheaper cables cannot handle the data as well, i had my surround sound plugged in with a cheap HDMI cable and i kept getting the signal dropped i did it again bought another cheap cable as i thought the cable was the issue but same thing happened, looked on avforums and a guy suggested that i get a more expensive cable so i got a £50 cable and havent had the issue since so proves that the more expensive cables are better.

and i wasnt aware of the new version of HDMI making it the same resolution interesting i just checked it out. MAX Res on Dual DVI or Dual HDMI 1.3 is : 3,840 × 2,400

Edited by marksie1988

yes they do but i have had this issue myself and proved that the cheaper cables cannot handle the data as well, i had my surround sound plugged in with a cheap HDMI cable and i kept getting the signal dropped i did it again bought another cheap cable as i thought the cable was the issue but same thing happened, looked on avforums and a guy suggested that i get a more expensive cable so i got a £50 cable and havent had the issue since so proves that the more expensive cables are better.

and i wasnt aware of the new version of HDMI making it the same resolution interesting i just checked it out. MAX Res on Dual DVI or Dual HDMI 1.3 is : 3,840 × 2,400

Its already been proved on many many AV review sites that with HDMI, it either works or it doesn't, it makes no difference how expensive the cable is. I have a cheapo cable connecting my sky HD box and a more expensive one connecting my ps3 and there is no difference. Its just a con by the retailers to make more money off you.

• Like 1

Its already been proved on many many AV review sites that with HDMI, it either works or it doesn't, it makes no difference how expensive the cable is. I have a cheapo cable connecting my sky HD box and a more expensive one connecting my ps3 and there is no difference. Its just a con by the retailers to make more money off you.

that still wouldnt explain why 2 cheap cables didnt work but one more expensive one does work? ?

I did think the same until this happened to me.

Edited by marksie1988

I had an HDMI cable which was causing the picture to go because I think one of the connectors was broken or loose. I replaced it with another £5 one and no further problems.

Its digital - it works or it doesn't as Bubba said. For £50 you have most certainly been had!

cheap ones are just that - cheap and nasty and prone to faults

Normal price range ones (the £10-£15 cables) are as good as the top end ones unless you are using them for industrial applications when the technology in the high end cables is neccesary