Dropped iPod touch into a deep puddle of water

carty23

Hi there guys,

My friend (honestly! - I'm still stuck with the 4th gen iPod Nano) has dropped her iPod touch into a deep puddle of water on the way to college this morning.

Is it possible for it to recover from water damage? What do you recommend? I remember finding out my phone had been in the washing machine years ago in my school blazer, and despite drying it out for days, it never actually worked again.

She only got it for christmas and it was the 32GB one so it's a lot of money down the drain (no pun intended).

According to apples website it's not covered for water damage.

I have searched the internet and there has been varying info on how to fix it, some have even said it's impossible to fix. So I thought I would post on here incase anyone's done the same thing or if they have any solutions.

Thanks in advance,

Chris.

Apple place tiny liquid contact indicator's in their devices. So it's a waste of time taking it back.

Let it dry out and give it a go. That's all she can do I'm afraid.

Raid the kitchen cupboard and find some rice (the dry stuff not the rice pudding type!) fill up a bowl with rice, turn your ipod off, bury it in the bowl of rice and leave it for a few days so the rice can draw out the moisture. (change the rice if it appears to be getting noticeably damp.)

After a couple of days see if it turns on and works as it should.

The above fixed mine, but I only dropped mine in a small puddle, worth a try though!!

Oh and don't connect it to a computer till it's dried... sounds stupid but you'd be surprised how many people do!

I'll tell her to try the rice idea tonight.

Thanks for the info guys! Much appreciated :)

They will replace it at apple but there will be a charge (I know its about £140 for the iphone) for out of warranty repairs / replacement.

They will replace it at apple but there will be a charge (I know its about £140 for the iphone) for out of warranty repairs / replacement.

Watch this video. Typical Apple Warranty malarky!!!

Watch Here!

Watch this video. Typical Apple Warranty malarky!!!

Watch Here!

Yep but as it has been dropped into a puddle it's clearly not covered by the warranty and thus will have to be covered by out of warranty repair which incurrs a charge.

Yep but as it has been dropped into a puddle it's clearly not covered by the warranty and thus will have to be covered by out of warranty repair which incurrs a charge.

Yes I gathered that from post 1 :)

I was merely posting the video to show how Apple seem to be infamous with their warranties.

Apple place tiny liquid contact indicator's in their devices. So it's a waste of time taking it back.

Let it dry out and give it a go. That's all she can do I'm afraid.

Thanks PMTTS. I told her yesterday morning to let it completely dry out and if it still didn't work then take it into apple so they wouldn't know it had been in water. I knew this would have been too good to be true. Thanks for the heads up on the liquid contact indicator's, just been having a read on the apple website.

Raid the kitchen cupboard and find some rice (the dry stuff not the rice pudding type!) fill up a bowl with rice, turn your ipod off, bury it in the bowl of rice and leave it for a few days so the rice can draw out the moisture. (change the rice if it appears to be getting noticeably damp.)

After a couple of days see if it turns on and works as it should.

Thanks Rocket. She bought some rice yesterday and as advised by you, I told her to change it if it starts to get damp. How long should she try the rice idea for? It's been in rice since about 6 o clock yesterday night. And after the rice, should she do anything else (e.g. put in on the radiator, use a low power setting on a hair dryer?)

Thanks once again all, your input is much appreciated!

It just so happened she dropped it under the railway bridge where all the puddles gather as the road evens off. If she dropped it before the bridge or just after it then there would have been no puddles as the road is on quite a steep incline both sides of the bridge!

Edited by carty23

The rice should naturally draw out the water, give it a couple of days (tell her to be patient and not keep turning it on to see if it works yet!)

Don't try and force the drying with a hair dryer, this will cause condensation and might spread the moisture to places where it wasn't originally.

Give this a go first, there's nothing to loose and it can't do any harm.

• Like 1

The rice should naturally draw out the water, give it a couple of days (tell her to be patient and not keep turning it on to see if it works yet!)

Don't try and force the drying with a hair dryer, this will cause condensation and might spread the moisture to places where it wasn't originally.

Give this a go first, there's nothing to loose and it can't do any harm.

Okay, thanks once again! :whistle: