Home treadmills

Sam Vimes

Has anyone got or previously had a treadmill at home? I have a budget of about £800 and looking to get one but there are so many models and so many different reviews etc the more I read about them the more I keep changing my mind.

Any advice or experiences appreciated.

Cheers.

I stick to going to the gyms, no need to maintain them, and if I had one in the house I'd probably use it less often than I go to the gym :p

I don't know much about them I'm afraid, I can only offer knowledge from experience. I've got a Roger Black and it has never let me down and does everything a treadmill is supposed to do. It only gets used a handful of times a year now though as I much prefer running outside. I did a bit of research into maintaining them before I bought it and it has run perfectly for several years now using a few basic tips, and some good treadmill lube. Sorry I can't be of much help.

Edited by Ash89rr

I stick to going to the gyms, no need to maintain them, and if I had one in the house I'd probably use it less often than I go to the gym :p

Thats why i've cancelled my £45 a month gym membership, on my shift pattern it just doesn't get the use because i'm always so tired.

I have the space and the money, and having it in the room next door will remove the barrier of lacking motivation to get up and go 20 minutes down the road. I've suffered an injury recently which following surgery means running outside for a length of time isn't really an option.

But cheers both for the advice, i'll check out the Roger Black models. :prone:

Have you not considered a cross trainer? I think they are much better than a treadmill and for £800 you should be able to get a pretty good one.

No problem. I injured my knee in a motorcycle accident, so took to the treadmill to help it recover and it actually made it worse, where as oddly running outside helped to strengthen it again even though I was warned off it.

Cheeta's got the right idea, I find cross trainers alot better and they are easier on the joints if your doing alot.

• 1 year later...

I use a treadmill at home, they are good, just dont give the real feel of running for long distances and get very very boring.

as others said they put strain on joints, but people over exaggerate that. Doing a decent amout ( 2-30minutes a day ) wont do any harm.

As others have said would stick to the ones at the gym (my gym uses the technogym type), less initial cost, no maintenence costs and when new stuff is brought out, the gym get the updated kit!