No claims discount

ourteppi

I have recently renewed car insurance and have just discovered the complication of NCD!

I am 66yrs. of age and have insured my cars since 18yrs. of age always having comprehensive insurance and protected NCD.

I presumed that I would have by now "max. years ncd",so when I apply online every year I state 9yrs+ in box provided.

Can I say that in all my motoring history I have not had any claims.

This renewal I did the same and ticked the 9yrs+.

I was asked to provide proof of NCD from my previous insurer which I duly did and sent the info. to my new insurer.

I have just received a letter from them asking to contact them.

When I spoke to them I was told my previous insurer stated I had 5yrs.NCD with them and because I had ticked 9+ on the application form I would have to pay an extra £60.72!!

I explained my case that I have never have had any insurance claims and jokingly said I should have 40yrs+!!.

They were resolute that i should pay this,so what i have done is contact my insurer for 2009-2010 (saga) who have told me they have records of NCD of 4yrs when i took their insurance in Dec.2009.

Before saga i was insured by morethan who i contacted and was informed that i had 6yrs.NCD with them when i left in Dec.2009.

My question is how far back can one go with insurance to check details out.....at least morethan is sending out proof i left them with 6yrs ncd and saga has said they will alter their records to send to my present insurer (Tesco) who have said that with then a total of 7yrs ncd i should have to pay an extra £27.95.....still miffed!!!

Do companies have different levels of ncd? and could i go further back and try to get max.9yrs ncd proof

Wouldn't this be under freedom of information act? I'm not experienced in law, but you must have a right to see their records of how Many years you have had no claims.

Good luck and I hope you don't have to pay that extra money!

It sounds like the problem is that Tesco are only checking the number of years NCD from your previous provider (Saga) but not bothering to check with any insurers you had prior to that, even though your cover with Saga was less than 9 years.

I would contact Saga and MoreThan (and any other insurers you've had in the last 9 years) and ask them to send you proof of the NCD you accumulated with them, and send Tesco a copy of the evidence. If they still refuse to accept it, escalate the issue (e.g. ask to speak to the supervisor) or use a different company!

Hi, I work in car insurance so I will try my best to clear the situation up for you :rolleyes:

Basically what you said is correct, different companies do take into consideration different levels of NCD. Tesco for example, take up to 9 years. Now say if you are insured with a company that only goes up to 5 years NCD and you have been with them for 10 years, it will be really difficult to get a 10 years NCD discount elsewhere because it is your responsibility to send in proof of your NCD, and the insurer that only goes up to "5 years" will not be able to provide you with anything other than "5 years".

However, if you can contact your previous insurers, I think it is over the last 6 years (if I remember rightly thats how long they cling onto your information) they have a duty to send out your proof of NCD if you request it.

Another problem then occurs, most insurers only accept proof of NCD from insurance companies that you have been with in the last 1 or 2 years, however if you manage to get proof of your NCD and send it in writing, with a fairly aggressive covering letter explaining your annoyance at how difficult and costly it has been getting proof of your NCD 9 times out of 10 they will just accept it, and then of course when you come to renewing the following year you will have the 9+ years NCD on paper, making the process a whole lot easier!

Sorry if some of this isn't clear, it is really complicated whereas it should be made a whole lot simpler and people who work in car insurance have continuously raised their concerns over how differently NCD is taking into consideration by different companies, it gets even more complicated for example when some companies don't even tell you how many years NCD you have, but give it in a "percentage" format, and god forbid if you ever insure a second car in your name it gets even worse haha!

Personally when looking around to renew, the companys policy on NCD is a major deciding factor for me, I mean if you had 10 years NCD and then went to a company that only take up to 5 years NCD, you would effectively lose 5 years NCD if you stayed with that company for a few years and then wanted to renew. So just bare it in mind in the future :D

This has turned into a little essay, but if you still have any questions don't hesitate to drop me a PM :w00t:

• Like 1

thanks everyone for replies,as stated in post i am expecting morethan to send me proof of ncd up to dec.2009 which was quoted as 6yrs. but i am contacting them monday to see who i was insured with before them to gain more info of previous ncd.......what a carry on!!!....determined not to pay extra £ but will keep you informed........thanks again for interest and advice...greatly appreciated!!

after thinking more about this ncd malarky!!.....years ago the ncd was i think quoted as a percentage e.g. 60%,40% etc.Why has this stopped? if it still continued surely it would make no difference between companies to the extent that once you had reached your max ncd say 60% with your driving then that percentage would simply be passed from company to company instead of this 5yr or 9yr max. ncd which loses you(as i have found out!!) years of discount.

Could anyone tell me what % companies quote for their max ncd and why there is no standardisation of it?...or is it another tool to extract extra monies from persecuted motorists.

Unfortunately some companies use %'s and others use years.

Like I said earlier it is something throughout the car insurance industry we want reviewing, everything should be the same to make it easy and fair on customers who want to change insurers.

Basically I think the maximum percentage wise is 60%? Could be wrong, never worked with %'s before, but I do know that companies that deal in years will not accept any proof of NCD whatsoever thats in percentage form unless you contact your old insurer and ask them to convert it for you... which some companies such as Saga refuse to do!

thanks marricked for interest today wednesday received letter from morethan stating ncb for policy cancelled 15/12/2009 was 6yrs with ncb protected and stating no claims in 5yrs.

My previous insurer (2009-2010) saga states in the letter I sent to Tesco that I when my saga policy finished in Dec.2010 I had a ncd of 60% representing 5yrs.(I believe that to be saga`s max.) and also stating no claims/or incidents against the policy.

So the story Tesco told me I came to them with 5yrs ncd is theoretically correct but they should have looked further and saw it was 60% ( I do not know what 5yrs as a percentage represents at Tesco) and accepted that!

The more this continues the more determined I become for the resolve for all insurance companies to create " a level playing field " as to regards ncd .

You can be rest assured come renewal in December 2011 ncd will be top of the list!!

• Like 1

I'm just pleased to have been able to help you, the amount of people I deal with on a daily basis that have problems regarding NCD is appauling, and it is especially hard to explain the problems that NCD causes verbally, especially when the person you are talking too is angry and not listening to half the things you are saying B-)

It has been a nice change to be able to actually educate someone around the NCD mine-trap insurers catch so many customers out on for once.

Just as an example of the ridiculousness of NCD and insurance, here's my odd experience.

Many years ago I took out a policy with Churchill over the phone. Kept the policy for quite some years and built a large no claims (already had full NCD from previous insurance).

One renewal time I decided to go online to see if I could find a cheaper deal than the renewal they had sent me. Low and behold I found a cheaper policy. And who was this new policy with? Yep, you guessed it, it was with Churchill.

I obviously went for the new policy off the net, however, they insisted I prove my NCD and to help me out they sent me a prepaid envelope. I then had to contact Chruchill to request they send me proof of the NCD which when received I posted back to Churchill. They insisted this was the only way it could be done as the new policy was through a different team.

Superb customer service.

That's happened to me with house and car insurance! You go 'on-line' to one of the 'compare the meerkat' sites and end up getting cheaper insurance with the company you are already with, go figure. This is just another example of the rip-off techniques that insurance companies are prepared to use. Same as discounts, if you are a new customer you get all sorts of 'goodies' for joining, but as an existing customer your policy goes up and you get nothing!

spoken to tesco customer services this morning and spoke to advisor and he told me I have transferred 5yrs. ncb to them so extra charge will be £27.28 for misinformation(adamant).

So cutting a saga (no pun intended) short paid up!!.......sick/tired of worrying in case unbeknown to me insurance could of have been cancelled/suspended one never knows.

I was told tesco have 9yr max ncd but the customer service spokesperson said he could not tell me what percentage that equated to!!!! or what my transferred 5yrs. was as a percentage.

My previous company did send me out a letter stating i had 5yrs and that equated to 60%....so thanks saga ....

Be rest assured come renewal in December i won`t be caught out like this again.....plus side is tesco was still miles cheaper even with added monies but i have learnt from past they give great rates to new customers that is why i have no loyalty anymore probably due to their "practices" and shop around on-line for the best quote.....END OF STORY???......fingers crossed.................

I know Tesco have recently changed insurers (RBS used to provide the actual insurance whereas now it is provided by Tesco) and is been ran by Tesco's new business (Tesco Bank), so chances are they will want to keep hold of their customers at the point of renewal in order to grow their business, so fingers crossed they should stay competitive.

Just as an example of the ridiculousness of NCD and insurance, here's my odd experience.

Many years ago I took out a policy with Churchill over the phone. Kept the policy for quite some years and built a large no claims (already had full NCD from previous insurance).

One renewal time I decided to go online to see if I could find a cheaper deal than the renewal they had sent me. Low and behold I found a cheaper policy. And who was this new policy with? Yep, you guessed it, it was with Churchill.

I obviously went for the new policy off the net, however, they insisted I prove my NCD and to help me out they sent me a prepaid envelope. I then had to contact Chruchill to request they send me proof of the NCD which when received I posted back to Churchill. They insisted this was the only way it could be done as the new policy was through a different team.

Superb customer service.

My car was damaged in 2006 by a "mate" driving like a bit of a plonker. £2500 damage later, repair work is carried out through my insurance company, all fine, get a letter through the post from Direct Line (my insurance company). "We have been unable to contact the other parties insurers, we will continue to try to contact them." Who were the other parties insurers?

Yep, you guessed it, Direct Line..

• Like 2