What car next?

Vixxer

Some of you may remember that I had a slight bump back at the start of December. Well the insurance have now decided that the car is a total loss, AKA a write off. So now I need ideas of what car to get next.

What I've had;

MK4 1.6 Astra

MK5 1.9 Diesel Astra

MK5 Astra VXR

MK3 3.0 Diesel Vectra

What it needs;

Reliability - not going to cost a shedload each month to keep running

Comfort - Sport seats / leather / Auto wipers / Auto dipping mirror / Climate control (I'm willing to trade off comfort for power / performance

Performance - Nothing less than ~150bhp, preferably closer to 200bhp+, good handling.

What I don't want;

A ford

Budget;

£7k - ~£10k

Suggestions?

Edited by Vixxer

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vixxer

• Administrative Account

• SC_GMP_BDIV

• Ash89rr

Why is this in General Discussion? Off to Help Me with you.

Edited by Scrooge McDuck

I have a Ford, they're great! the new Astra is quite nice though a bit pricey..

I'm just not a fan of fords. Not sure why.

Why is this in General Discussion? Off to Locker Room with you.

It was in the locker room, was it not?

Why do you not like Fords? Get a focus, you will get everything you want and they are great to drive.

The one Astra I drove was horrible and I haven't driven many cars, didn't accelerate, dodgy box...

What about a mazda, or toyota maybe?

Civic TypeS diesel

Golf GTTDi

Volvo S40/60 D5

Seat Leon FR TDi

Just a few ideas there, you may have noticed theyre all 'fast' diesels I would never go back to a petrol engine after enjoying some quick oil burners, much better suited to my driving style.

Vectra VXR?

He said he didn't want it to cost loads to run, which a Vectra VXR would. Also it has a nice engine, but it's a shame it's reluctant to go round corners.

I wouldn't say that it would cost any more than any other mid performance V6 to run. I've always found Vauxhall's to be very reliable and the parts and servicing are relatively inexpensive. As for cornering, I've never had any issue's :rolleyes:

I wouldn't say that it would cost any more than any other mid performance V6 to run. I've always found Vauxhall's to be very reliable and the parts and servicing are relatively inexpensive. As for cornering, I've never had any issue's :rolleyes:

I reckon it would do 26 mpg at best on average, it would cost £400-£500 a year to tax, I think it's a pretty hefty insurance group too. Certainly not cheap by any means.

agreed the vectra vxr would be a money eater.

The vectras we use in our RPU's are forever breaking (Vectra vxr but in police spec) apparently one of our techs at the vehicle workshops said if they lose as little as an egg cup's worth of oil the engines can seize!! I certainly wouldnt buy one with my own money!

I reckon it would do 26 mpg at best on average, it would cost £400-£500 a year to tax, I think it's a pretty hefty insurance group too. Certainly not cheap by any means.

My Astra VXR was only getting 21MPG... I'd hate to think what I'd get in a Vectra VXR, although I really do like them. Plus you're right on tax, £450 a year :huh:

Civic TypeS diesel

Golf GTTDi

Volvo S40/60 D5

Seat Leon FR TDi

Just a few ideas there, you may have noticed theyre all 'fast' diesels I would never go back to a petrol engine after enjoying some quick oil burners, much better suited to my driving style.

Good shout on the Volvo S40. I do quiet like them. Same for the Seat.

Not a fan of Golfs. For what they are they cost far too much. Granted you get more back when you come to sell, but I just don't want the bigger outlay to start with.