How to deal with Procrastination?

carty23

As the title says really, how do I stop putting off important things like revision and homework and going on things such as the PS3 and facebook?

I thought the fact that I had to cough up £70 out of my own money to resit 3 exams from last year would make me revise, but it hasn't.

Exams start in about 2 weeks and I need to revise over the next 2 weeks none stop, but as soon as I come home from college I know I will switch on the PS3/Come on here and on facebook.

Thanks in advance,

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lost down under

• Gone

• carty23

• Paradox

Top Posters In This Topic

Take out your cable or your controller from your PS3 and give it to a parent/guardian. This will prevent you from playing on that. Although about Facebook, don't put your laptop/PC on unless it is absolutely necessary for your revision. Good luck in your exams, although I am sure you will be OK

Morning :confused:

In the past when ive had to revise and write essays etc i have set myself small goals......and hours work and then ten mins on FB or whatever.....you should have regular breaks from studying anyway....never deprive yourself of these extra curricular activities..well apart from the PS3..i'm sure you could live without that for two weeks!!!

Good luck :)

Unfortunately it all comes down to self control really. Because one way or another you will find some way to procrastinate, even if you take away the PS3/laptop etc.

The thought of failing your exams, having to resit them again (if that's possible), not getting a job, not having enough money for anything you want to buy, not having the career you want should be all the encouragement you need?

That sounds good, but really I am the same kind of person as you are. I always put things off till the last minute. :confused:

I always try and plan parts of a day. I'll have a mini 'to-do' and break tasks into small chunks as it's easier to do 10 tasks of 5 minutes each than one 50 minute tasks. Breaks in between to play a game or just have chill time are fine as well.

You might also want to go to bed 30 mins early and take the books with you. I always find it easier to revise when I'm more relaxed than by forcing myself to sit down and study.

I’m going to give a grumpy git answer (true to character).

At the end of the day you need to stop with the 'I'll do it later" or 'I deserve a break' excuses I presume you’re using with yourself. You deserve a break when you know your stuff, personally I break it down into 4 week 'modules' where I'll revise 4 weeks’ worth of lectures, and until I have a reasonable understanding of the content won’t allow myself to leave the books.

Are any of your good mates on the course? I'm 100% convinced the only reason I've passed this last year is because of competition between me and my best mate who’s studying for the same degree (same programme in fact so all our units are the same or very similar), treating it as a 'game' can often help.

Not sure what/how your studying but I always find doing examples of questions a massive help, just reading something from a book doesn’t mean you know or understand it, write a question down and see how much of the content you can recall by answering the question (from the top of your head only no books).

The morning before exams is where I see alot of people tripping over, if you haven’t learnt it by now you’re probably not going to, it's pointless stressing.

Any way hopefully you won’t read this as you'll be busy preparing to pass :confused: dont take any of the above personally as I have no idea what you're like/studying and just making general points. Know what its like to fail though, lost one unit in the first semester of the first year but it was a sufficient shock to the system for me to double my efforts and 70 quid is dirt cheap it’s going to cost me 300 to re-sit.

• Like 1

Don't do what I did today and read about half of www.phdcomics.com - ironically a comic about procrastination...

Set yourself goals and provide rewards for completing the goals. You need to take breaks, but find the self control to actually end those breaks and get back to work.

Thanks for the replies people :D

Take out your cable or your controller from your PS3 and give it to a parent/guardian. This will prevent you from playing on that. Although about Facebook, don't put your laptop/PC on unless it is absolutely necessary for your revision. Good luck in your exams, although I am sure you will be OK

I don't really need my comp for revision but it's something I instantly go on when I get in. The way I revise is I walk around the room reciting my notes .. so I have to do it in my bedroom as it annoys my parents going round the living room in circles repeating things. And because i'm in my room, I have the urge to put the PC on and just browse random on the internet. Thanks for the good luck!

Morning :)

In the past when ive had to revise and write essays etc i have set myself small goals......and hours work and then ten mins on FB or whatever.....you should have regular breaks from studying anyway....never deprive yourself of these extra curricular activities..well apart from the PS3..i'm sure you could live without that for two weeks!!!

Good luck :)

Once again, thanks for the good luck :)

I'll try and have regular breaks too. The thing is for me is that I have to do it all at once or I won't do it at all. For example, I've had a 70 mark question for my geography homework and i've had it for nearly 2 weeks. Over the 2 weeks I could have worked on it every night for half an hour. But instead i'm leaving it until the last minute when I know I have no option but to get it done.

Unfortunately it all comes down to self control really. Because one way or another you will find some way to procrastinate, even if you take away the PS3/laptop etc.

The thought of failing your exams, having to resit them again (if that's possible), not getting a job, not having enough money for anything you want to buy, not having the career you want should be all the encouragement you need?

That sounds good, but really I am the same kind of person as you are. I always put things off till the last minute. :D

Yeah, I keep reminding myself that I'm not going to get in uni if I don't start to work/revise. My uni offers are AAB and ABB, and i'm not going to get them if I don't pull my socks up. The thought of doing my weekend job for a living (checkout worker) is starting to give me an urge to revise, as there is no way I want to be scanning things for the rest of my life lol.

I always try and plan parts of a day. I'll have a mini 'to-do' and break tasks into small chunks as it's easier to do 10 tasks of 5 minutes each than one 50 minute tasks. Breaks in between to play a game or just have chill time are fine as well.

You might also want to go to bed 30 mins early and take the books with you. I always find it easier to revise when I'm more relaxed than by forcing myself to sit down and study.

With ref to my reply to Rachy Reindeer, I need to start to learn to break things down rather than expecting to accomplish things all at once. I did a 30 minute revision slot after I posted this thread, and I managed to revise a substantial amount. In fact I'm going to test myself after I have finished replying to these to see if I can still recall it all. I think the simple thing that it boils down to is that revision is boring and the PS3 is enjoyable! But I need to keep in mind that it's my future (I want to be a geog teacher) and that if I sacrifice a little now, I'll gain a lot later. Great and telling myself that, but poor at actually doing it! I'll try taking my revision notes to bed tonight as well, ty for the tip!

I’m going to give a grumpy git answer (true to character).

At the end of the day you need to stop with the 'I'll do it later" or 'I deserve a break' excuses I presume you’re using with yourself. You deserve a break when you know your stuff, personally I break it down into 4 week 'modules' where I'll revise 4 weeks’ worth of lectures, and until I have a reasonable understanding of the content won’t allow myself to leave the books.

Are any of your good mates on the course? I'm 100% convinced the only reason I've passed this last year is because of competition between me and my best mate who’s studying for the same degree (same programme in fact so all our units are the same or very similar), treating it as a 'game' can often help.

Not sure what/how your studying but I always find doing examples of questions a massive help, just reading something from a book doesn’t mean you know or understand it, write a question down and see how much of the content you can recall by answering the question (from the top of your head only no books).

The morning before exams is where I see alot of people tripping over, if you haven’t learnt it by now you’re probably not going to, it's pointless stressing.

Any way hopefully you won’t read this as you'll be busy preparing to pass :D dont take any of the above personally as I have no idea what you're like/studying and just making general points. Know what its like to fail though, lost one unit in the first semester of the first year but it was a sufficient shock to the system for me to double my efforts and 70 quid is dirt cheap it’s going to cost me 300 to re-sit.

Thanks very much for the detailed reply. I haven't took anything personally :p I know exactly what you are on about and it's all me! I'm currently doing A levels, in particular Geography, History, Sociology, General Studies, and then an extra qualification known as E.P.Q. The general studies exams I have next month (2) I'm not really bothered about, as they are not included in my university offers anyway (or at least the ones that I want to go to). It's just my geography, history and sociology I'm mainly interested in, particularly geography as this is the subject I'm going to do at uni (Got all 5 conditionals for it). I have got some past papers so I will definitely have a bash at them as you suggested. I'm working tomorrow so I'm going to start this 70 mark past paper for geography I have for homework, and hopefully I can get the majority of it done. Thing is I'm typing it, so there's the urge to log on to facebook or even on here! Anyway I shall have a bash and see how I do! Thanks once again for your reply :)

Don't do what I did today and read about half of www.phdcomics.com - ironically a comic about procrastination...

Set yourself goals and provide rewards for completing the goals. You need to take breaks, but find the self control to actually end those breaks and get back to work.

Haha. Thanks for the tip and I will try to take breaks rather than trying to cram everything in.

Thanks very much for the detailed reply. I haven't took anything personally :whistle: I know exactly what you are on about and it's all me! I'm currently doing A levels, in particular Geography, History, Sociology, General Studies, and then an extra qualification known as E.P.Q. The general studies exams I have next month (2) I'm not really bothered about, as they are not included in my university offers anyway (or at least the ones that I want to go to). It's just my geography, history and sociology I'm mainly interested in, particularly geography as this is the subject I'm going to do at uni (Got all 5 conditionals for it). I have got some past papers so I will definitely have a bash at them as you suggested. I'm working tomorrow so I'm going to start this 70 mark past paper for geography I have for homework, and hopefully

Sociology - when I did it at A level there was a massive emphasis on including names, dates and ideas so I found writing a title on a page say 'crime and deviance' making a table:

Sociologist [ school of thought (marxist, functionalist....) [ quote [

-----------------+------------------------------------------------------------+----------+

Then in the exams I crammed all the quotes into the answers. I did sociology in modular exams and out of 300 marks only lost around 25, this was purely down to revision as the teacher gave me an expected grade 'U' :evil:

Geography - if it's what you want to do at uni you should be able to push yourself to do well here, I'm presuming it's a mix of human/physical. On the human side case studies case studies and more case studies is all I can say. Physical, normally I'd say go to places and observe the processes in action (a meandering river is the easiest to spot IMHO, and you can easily see it in different stages up the same river, thats just an example I'm pretty sure its a GCSE level thing?) although time is short, all I can say is understand the processes don't learn it like a parrot (unless it's something straight forward i.e. canopy levels). I'm double majoring in geography/geology although I intend to drop the geography next year, really interesting stuff until you come face to face with 'economics in a spatial context' I swear they recruit lecturers with no souls for that!

History - no idea bores the hell out of me (unless you're looking at bones, fossils or hunting for sharks teeth in limestone).

/edit/ - dont expect any tips on how not to waste time in work... I've just spent 45 mins on http://www.phdcomics.com/comics/archive.php?comicid=265 bloody funny stuff.

Edited by xeon

Sociology - when I did it at A level there was a massive emphasis on including names, dates and ideas so I found writing a title on a page say 'crime and deviance' making a table:

Sociologist [ school of thought (marxist, functionalist....) [ quote [

-----------------+------------------------------------------------------------+----------+

Sorry to go off-topic momentarily, but I loathe ''Sociological' 'methodology''. There is something internally contradictory and completely hypocritical about a 'discipline' that preaches in a barely-disguised fashion about the evils of the elitist Bourgeoisie, and then insists that the ideas which support this view be presented with exactly the same rigid 'appeal to authority' that they are meant to undermine - these ideas will invariably be predicated on the pedigree of The Holy Trinity of Sociological Big-Wigs: FouGoffHeim. Surely the individual ideas themselves are the important things, not the status of whoever uttered them! This formalised and quoted appeal to authority in the Social 'Sciences' is merely an attempt to provide a facade of credibility in these fields based upon a form that happens to be credible in the physical sciences.

:whistle:

Anyway, procrastination. Being organised is something that you have to practice regularly. Having said that, a lot of people work well under pressure. If you don't think that you are one of these people, then I suggest that you physically remove yourself on a regular basis from distraction - set yourself a minimum (modest) number of hours to be spent working in the library each day for example. If you do this early enough you'll probably find things to be cakewalk come exam/assignment time. But yeah, have a seperate work environment, you might even find that you become more engrossed in the work/topic/ideas, and the more you enjoy what you're doing then the more it will seem less like a chore. It is all about building up that initial momentum. I am, of course, a total hypocrite and for that reason alone you should just ignore what I've written above!

Edited by BouQueen's Speech

Sorry to go off-topic momentarily, but I loathe ''Sociological' 'methodology''. There is something internally contradictory and completely hypocritical about a 'discipline' that preaches in a barely-disguised fashion about the evils of the elitist Bourgeoisie, and then insists that the ideas which support this view be presented with exactly the same rigid 'appeal to authority' that they are meant to undermine - these ideas will invariably be predicated on the pedigree of The Holy Trinity of Sociological Big-Wigs: FouGoffHeim. Surely the individual ideas themselves are the important things, not the status of whoever uttered them! This formalised and quoted appeal to authority in the Social 'Sciences' is merely an attempt to provide a facade of credibility in these fields based upon a form that happens to be credible in the physical sciences.

I'm with you on that one, but it's what has to be done to pass, it's conform or fail at this level atleast which is of course ironic.

You shouldn't procrastinate............it makes you go blind.

Or have I gotten that mixed up? :whistle:

Well, if you stopped procrastinating and got on with it, you'd get everything done.

Well, if you stopped procrastinating and got on with it, you'd get everything done.

Or procrastinate about procrastinating?