3 Outputs, 2 Monitors

Burnie

I typed all this out once and then my browser crashed so I'll summarise

New video Card for my PC

3 outputs on the video card - DVI, HDMI and VGA

I have 2 screens I want to feed - one only has VGA input (so VGA to VGA will sort that one) and the other (my TV) has SCART and composite inputs

Thus - I have to find a way to connect either a DVI or a HDMI connection to either SCART or Composite inputs.

I'm not fussed about retaining the HD element and I want to find the cheapest possible working solution - any suggestions because I'm coming up stumps as to whether I can just buy a HDMI to Scart cable.

Eventually I will probably just buy a new TV but until then I want to find a solution to work with my current TV

I looked into something similiar a little while ago (vga to scart in my case) and found it to be something of a minefield requiring an expensive bit of signal converting electronics so I gave up on the idea.

HDMI to Scart seems to require the same sort of gadetry -> http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scart-to-HDMI-Converter/dp/B002DFHS7I

I'm interested to know if anyone else has a better & cheaper solution.

If you can state the type of card i can see if I can get a solution for you

nVidea GT430

I looked into something similiar a little while ago (vga to scart in my case) and found it to be something of a minefield requiring an expensive bit of signal converting electronics so I gave up on the idea.

Indeed - I had that problem with the old card (geForce 8400) and the solution was a simple S-Video to SCART cable. Unfortunately the new card doesn't have S-video out.

Edited by Chill-ie

Found a solution thats not too hard or expensive, Official Xbox 360 Component HD AV Cable, it will convert HDMI to scart.

Play

Edited by spook2106

Found a solution thats not too hard or expensive, Official Xbox 360 Component HD AV Cable, it will convert HDMI to scart.

Play

I *think* that's the lead with the xBox specific (big) plug on the other end, rather than an HDMI male.

To be perfectly honest, I think you might struggle to find a cheap(ish) solution for this. Your trying to convert a digital (DVI or HDMI) signal into an analogue (Scart) one. As far as I'm aware, HDMI output doesn't carry a (traditional) RGB or Composite video signal, so converting that (via a simple lead) to Scart would be a non starter. And a DVI signal is (electrically) compatible with HDMI, so I doubt that carries RGB or composite either.

Edit: Thinking about this a little more. I don't know for sure if it'll work, but it would be the cheapest to try.

Convert the DVI to VGA, there are adapters for this available at most PC retailers for about £5 (my DVI card came with them). You should then be able to convert the VGA signal into something that the TV can understand, as VGA does carry an RGB and Sync signals. Whether these sync pulses would be compatible with your TV however. It might work, it might not, but should cost you less than a tenner to find out.

Alternatively.... Go for a VGA to Scart lead (about £5) and use the pure VGA output on your card to drive that (straight to the TV). Then buy a DVI/VGA converter (another £5) to drive your monitor.

Google 'shopping' results for VGA/Scart cable

Google 'shopping' results for DVI/VGA converter

• 2 weeks later...

to the last 2

That's a no - there's no DVI->VGA cable and I already have VGA to SCART converter which doesn't provide a valid signal for my tv (I tried using that on my old video card before I started using S-video)

Edited by Burnie