Inspectors uniform

Administrative Account

Home from the pub and watching the greatest 100 toys on Ch4 so I apologise if this is the wrong place.

Just seen a Police Inspector on the programme talking about adults or something fighting about the toy of the year. It was some years ago. The inspector didn't have any epaulettes but he did have two bath stars on his lapels and I was just wondering what force this was.

Cheers.

Home from the pub and watching the greatest 100 toys on Ch4 so I apologise if this is the wrong place.

Just seen a Police Inspector on the programme talking about adults or something fighting about the toy of the year. It was some years ago. The inspector didn't have any epaulettes but he did have two bath stars on his lapels and I was just wondering what force this was.

Cheers.

Was the film the Inspector was featured in contemporary, or older? If so, would you judge it to be early 2000's, 90's or 80's?

Edited by Detective_G

Bit more info.

It was on the programme at about 90 mins on the piece about pokemon cards. They were released in 1996 so this must have been about 96-97.

I also managed to take a screen shot of the programme from Ch4OD 100 Greatest Toys

post-2272-0-75912400-1292839156_thumb.jpg

Looks like Wiltshire Constabulary to me. I’m pretty sure they still have their warrant numbers on their lapels like this. I remember watching an episode of bike cops or similar and they have a ‘W’ followed by a number.

There may well be a simple explanation. Years ago in Surrey they issued Gortex weatherproof jackets they only gave PC's/ Skippers one set of numbers and Insp's one set of bath stars. They were supposed to go on the chest pocket flap. One Insp didn't get the memo and the next time we saw him in the rain he had put one star on each shoulder rendering the waterproof un-waterproof. When he took it off each shoulder and arm was soaking wet. Looking at the photo it may be the same concept where the rank is worn on the lapel because to do otherwise would damage the integrity of the jacket. Just a thought?

I believe that the scene in the screen shot above is from Wiltshire Police (Formerly Constabulary)

It looks like he is stood outside the Devizes Headquarters vehicle garage.

Quite a few of the PCs who have been in for several years, have their collar numbers sewn on to the same area as the pips on their heavy-weight hi-vis jackets.

Looks like Wiltshire Constabulary to me. I’m pretty sure they still have their warrant numbers on their lapels like this. I remember watching an episode of bike cops or similar and they have a ‘W’ followed by a number.

In regards to the above. Wiltshire's Rank + Numbers look like the following

Regs :

W

Specials:

SC

Edited by HydeFromSanta

Thanks folks, looks like it's Wiltshire then.

• Global Moderators

I saw this in Casualty a while back. The Wyvern Constabulary [fictional] had their number 'plates' on the left lepel and on the chest of the Hi Viz.