Any people have knowlege the Mobile Phone business?

GoAhead

I am currently on a contract with 18 months left with T-Mobile (I get a great deal), and I am after an iPhone 4.

T-Mobile state that I cannot just upgrade to and iPhone 4 and I will have to take out a new contract, but I don't want to have 2 contracts ongoing.

Just after anyones advice really in relation to contracts and upgrades etc.

:D

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• porge88

• EMR09

• GoAhead

• mph

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi mate, I work for vodafone so hopefully I can help! What t-mobile are saying is true, once you're tied into a contract it is down to the network provider to determin when you can upgrade your phone and tarif, usually 70 days early. The cheapest way to sort this would be to take out the new contract with an iPhone 4 and reduce your existing one by 5 pounds every month until it is costing you £10 PCM for the rest of your contract. If you wish to end your contract early then t-mobile will charge you a fee, mostly likely 18 times your monthly line rental, less 30% because your ending ending early if they're feeling generous, but again they're not obliged to give you anything. In terms of the iPhone 4 - apple set the tariffs and line rental costs in stone, network providers have no say in it, I believe vodafone are the cheapest for the cost of the handsets and we also have the fastest 3G and hspda data network and it is also the most reliable and has the best coverage. Hope this helps, feel free to ask me any questions I'm more than happy to help! George

it is also the most reliable and has the best coverage.

Best Network coverage :D

I've had to have my work phone changed away from Vodafone twice due to such poor coverage. at one point I could see the mast and the lovely lady in the call centre gave me the explanation of the signal was so poor because the mast was higher than I was. This was a little worrying when they stuck it on the highest mountain in the area

Vodafone are poor in my honest opinion, when you do get an iPhone, i suggest going with O2.

In relation to your contracts, does T-Mobile allow you to pay off your contract? Because if not, then there would be no other way to get the iPhone without having 2 contracts. Or, unless you waited until your current contract expired. My current contract is with Phones4U and they have told me that if i want to end my contract early, i can sell them the phone and they will give the money to for the phone that adds up to pay off the remainder for the contract. You could also see if T-Mobile will do that aswell. Most Customer Advisors at these companies won't tell you the full story or give you the information you're looking for, as they'll try their best to keep you on your current contract.

Because Porge here works for Vodafone, as seen above, he will try and convince you to go on Vodafone, as that's what he's employed to do. :D

SnowAhead,

I was in the same postion as you.... I had a iPhone 3g, so already had a iPhone contract. I phoned orange and asked them to send me a micro-sim. Then I brought the iPhone 4 on PAYG it cost £480 inc £10 credit. I then transfered my contract off my old SIM to the Micro-sim and got the £10 credit back... :unsure: if thats the line you wanted to go down.

i have an iphone 3gs on o2 also and its horrendously slow compared to vodafone so i speak from experiencing both networks. It was recently written in a recent industry report that O2 do not have the technology or capacity to handle the influx of customers they experienced in having the iphone exclusively before vodafone. This explains the delay in message sending and recieving on O2, the increase in the number of dropped calls, and the reduction of available signal. Alledgedly the high volume of users is causing the network to crash - don't know if there's too much truth in this its just what i've read. Not everyone will experience this as it depends on the area, i'm just talking about the network statistics as a whole. Despite working for vodafone i like keep an open mind, i actually changed to vodafone before i started working there as i was a bit sick of the inconsistency of O2 in my area. "Tom C" - the stats don't lie mate, your problems may have been due to your area or individual handset, every network has its strong and weak areas, either that or maybe vodafone have dropped the ball in your area. Network coverage isn't just whether you have it or not it is seperated into different bands, gprs indoor and outdoor, edge indoor and outdoor, 3g indoor and outdoor and hspda indoor and outdoor, so anything can affect it! And what the lovely lady at the call centre was saying is sort of true, these masts have a sort of mushroom effect where sometimes the poorest signal is recieved when directly under them (within a certain radius of course). Hope i've been of some help.

Edited by porge88

The best thing to do may be talk to P4U as they can sometimes come up with a fandabbydozey idea to earn commission (and sort your predicament out) by buying your contract out and selling you a new one. Forgive me if that is incorrect but I have been out of the industry a little while... as Porge88 said - cancelling it with so much of your contract left will cost rather a lot. It may be worth calling TMobile and asking when and how much can they reduce your tariff by each month. Get it down as low as you can go and then just take it on the chin and take a new contract out to get the iPhone.

Having worked for 2 phone companies and having a partner that worked for a different one - Voda is the best. I was on O2 with my previous iPhone 3G and I really wanted the iPhone 4 when it came to the ever exciting (!?) time to upgrade... I decided that I needed to change network providers if I wanted to keep the last little bit of my sanity... seriously, O2 have gone downhill fast over recent years. The network is not coping with the amount of customers using 3G data. My signal was so poor pretty much where ever I went. It dropped calls, lost signal in the most signal drenched areas... just a pain in the bum that sent my blood pressure sky high. I am not the only one to experience this!! Aaaanyway... I cancelled my O2 contract and took a new one out with Vodafone and got the iPhone 4 and they are brilliant. I get signal pretty much anywhere and I haven't had a single call dropped. I am actually still so excited at the fact I can make phone calls now. Genius this 'signal' thing.

Good luck!

The best thing to do may be talk to P4U as they can sometimes come up with a fandabbydozey idea to earn commission (and sort your predicament out) by buying your contract out and selling you a new one. Forgive me if that is incorrect but I have been out of the industry a little while... as Porge88 said - cancelling it with so much of your contract left will cost rather a lot. It may be worth calling TMobile and asking when and how much can they reduce your tariff by each month. Get it down as low as you can go and then just take it on the chin and take a new contract out to get the iPhone.

Having worked for 2 phone companies and having a partner that worked for a different one - Voda is the best. I was on O2 with my previous iPhone 3G and I really wanted the iPhone 4 when it came to the ever exciting (!?) time to upgrade... I decided that I needed to change network providers if I wanted to keep the last little bit of my sanity... seriously, O2 have gone downhill fast over recent years. The network is not coping with the amount of customers using 3G data. My signal was so poor pretty much where ever I went. It dropped calls, lost signal in the most signal drenched areas... just a pain in the bum that sent my blood pressure sky high. I am not the only one to experience this!! Aaaanyway... I cancelled my O2 contract and took a new one out with Vodafone and got the iPhone 4 and they are brilliant. I get signal pretty much anywhere and I haven't had a single call dropped. I am actually still so excited at the fact I can make phone calls now. Genius this 'signal' thing.

Good luck!

+1 ! This man knows what he's on about!

Thanks, but I think the last time I checked I was a chick! ;-)

Hope the advice helped!

• Like 1

Looks like I have atleast 18 months left on my contract, I've got no chance.

May have to look into saving up for a sim free iPhone or buying a second hand old one.

Thanks, but I think the last time I checked I was a chick! ;-)

Hope the advice helped!

very sorry! shouldn't have assumed!

You sure you don't work for Vodafone's marketing team?

Don't go near P4U, they're a nightmare to deal with if things go wrong. I'd recommend checking out Tesco Mobile, they are much cheaper than Vodafone and have won a load of awards for their customer service and use O2's network.

Apple set the tariffs and line rental costs in stone, network providers have no say in it,

A very good idea, considering major mobile providers would try to squeeze as much as they could out of the customer.

and it is also the most reliable and has the best coverage

Odd that, if you want to use vodafone in my house. You have to walk to the back of the garden to pick up a signal!

Edited by pmtts
  • Like 1

Interesting reading....

O2 and Vodafone signed a network share agreement over 1 year ago and are now migrating their own network masts onto shared masts. So if you poor signal on one, you will experience the same weak signal on the other as slowly they are moving both networks onto the same aerials....this will save both networks considerable cash.

T-mobile and Orange are merging but they kept their aerials seperate for the time being but they are now installing software to allow the phone to automatically flip from a TM mast to an Orange mast if coverage falls out.

Interesting reading....

O2 and Vodafone signed a network share agreement over 1 year ago and are now migrating their own network masts onto shared masts. So if you poor signal on one, you will experience the same weak signal on the other as slowly they are moving both networks onto the same aerials....this will save both networks considerable cash.

T-mobile and Orange are merging but they kept their aerials seperate for the time being but they are now installing software to allow the phone to automatically flip from a TM mast to an Orange mast if coverage falls out.

I'd not heard that regarding the Voda and O2 masts merging... I see the logic. It certainly is not the case in most places around here then as I'm on voda and a few people I know are on O2.. and I have nearly always got fab signal whereas they do not with O2. Hopefully the merging that network providers are doing at the mo will help everyone overall. There's nothing more frustrating in this day and age when you can't get signal to make that important phone call!

And no, scottuk, I haven't worked in the industry for a good few years now! Just my opinions...