Roadhawk?

GodAtum

So the idea is to record yourself driving so that if you're in an accident there is evidence that the other party was at fault? Personally I'd rather not rig my car up as some sort of mini Big Brother house but whatever floats your boat.

So the idea is to record yourself driving so that if you're in an accident there is evidence that the other party was at fault? Personally I'd rather not rig my car up as some sort of mini Big Brother house but whatever floats your boat.

I think the advantage (in the event of a collision) could far outweigh the drawbacks.

If you have an accident that really isn't your fault, but you have no witnesses, it's your word against the other drivers. With the video evidence that this device provides, there'd be no argument.

While it may not save you money on your premium just by having it fitted, if one day it saves you getting the blame for a non fault accident, it'll be worth its weight in gold.

Well I'm also just wondering how useful it would really be as evidence. For example, what frame rate does the camera record at, and at what sort of picture quality? An accident would probably happen very quickly, in the space of one or two seconds, so if some of the poor quality CCTV and camera-phone footage we still see nowadays is anything to go by it might only capture one or two poor quality frames during the moment the incident happens.

Well I'm also just wondering how useful it would really be as evidence. For example, what frame rate does the camera record at, and at what sort of picture quality? An accident would probably happen very quickly, in the space of one or two seconds, so if some of the poor quality CCTV and camera-phone footage we still see nowadays is anything to go by it might only capture one or two poor quality frames during the moment the incident happens.

It does say in the blurb that it'll capture 30fps @ 640x480 resolution or 5fps @ 1280x960. 60 frames in something that occurs in a couple of seconds is more than enough to see something useful. I would however want to see a video of this camera's output to see what the quality of the video is like because if it's 60 frames at the same quality of some webcams you can get then it's a bit of a waste of time, but if its HD quality (which is what I'd expect for £200!) then that should help you...

Six months ago I had an accident on my motorcycle where a black cab did a u-turn across my path with no warning. Luckily at the time I had a camcorder mounted on my handlebars and recording. Thanks to the footage the otherside admitted liability and didn't try to fight the charges from the police, also the othersides legal team has accepted liabilty within hours of seeing the footage.

Without the footage I expect there could have been a lot more problems clearing up exactly what happened.

Since that accident I bought a helmetcam from DogCamSport (who are linked to RoadHawk), this camera is now running whenever I'm on the bike in case anything happens.

One suprising feature I found from looking at the footage from the accident is that I've not had any flashbacks or worries that I could have done something to avoid the accident(which I did have after a previous accident) due to the fact that I've watch the incident so many times on a large screen and in slow motion, examining frame by frame to see what happened that I know exactly what happened.

I've not seen the RoadHawk in the flesh yet but I've seen a similar unit, they aren't HD but they do have GPS and a G-sensor so you can work out what happened after an incident. There is an example of the footage on the website and you should be able to find some on YouTube if you search for RoadHawk. Personally the £200 price tag is to high for me to buy one to stick in my car as I do so few miles in the car.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
I love them. Got nothing to hide. We use them on you.

Last summer a semi driver had a $40 dashcam and a motorcycle crashed in front of him on I-35. For some unknown reason, he drove on the shoulder and hit the bridge deck.

He had a passenger and she got tossed around hard.

The semi driver had ample following distance, he had no idea how to use it and then I noticed it had a SD card.

I took the card and uploaded the video to my Toughbook.

The video was great for a $40 gadget.

This 'harley' rider wanna had no clue how to handle a big motorcycle. He did not have a moto endorsement, only a permit. Four restrictions are part of a permit; no passenger, no interstate, must wear helmet and no night time operation. He is going to have some serious civil issues. He broke all but the nighttime restriction.