Best 1st car?

GodAtum

i'm looking to buy my 1st car soon, what do you think is the best? I'm looking for a small automatic car thats not too weak as I'll be doing motorway driving and driving up steep hills in the countryside. A bonus if it's 4 wheel drive as it might snow!

I'm thinking of something like a Ford Focus or Peugeot 207. I'll probably add an ipod connector and later I'd like to put racing seats in.

Edited by GodAtum

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mdon

• Merlin820

• GodAtum

• TallGuy1546081014

Based on the above, Fiat Panda 4x4 - not sure they do an auto though.

Gets very good reviews, is cheap and a bit unusual. You can then take the boy racer route of bucket seats and big wheels without it looking like a total dog, it could even look pretty cool with some bull-bars too etc

Not the fastest motor around, but as a copper you're not going to be racing anyone anyway

Many thanks for your suggestion, looking on Autotrader i dont think they do auto. Another car i've though about is a vauxhall astra.

I have no idea what makes / models of cars come in automatic transmission but I can recommend VW, either the Polo or a Golf. Both front wheel drive so OK in snow and ice, especially if you go for an older model.

Well built, sturdy and reliable for the inevitable first shunt. :huh:

My first car was a brown 'S' plate mini, 'S' plate as in 1977. You'd be surprised at how well it can mount a kerb, remove a fixed traffic direction bollard and land in someone's front garden. :aok:

Edited: 1977 not 1979

Edited by Merlin820

My first car is a 1998 Toyota corrola 1597cc 5door in lucerene silver

Its yet to let me down (touch wood)

Well the first thing I thought of was a panda 4x4 but they don't come in auto as that would just make them totally gutless.

I haven't found anything to top a old VW Polo in the build quality/price/insurance/maintenance bracket. The Golf is good but they hold their price more. Ford Focus is OK but I personally can't stand the driving position and those horrid seats.

As for me I had a 1968 Mini 998 followed by a 1974 Mini 850, 1979 Mini 1293GT, 1980 Mini 1380, 1981 Mini 998, 1978 Mini 1440 w00t.gif

Stay clear of Fiat's, dreadful cars. I had one and had nothing but problems with it.

If it were me I'd be looking at Ibiza, Focus, Fiesta and an Astra.

You might want to use some of the car details in Autotrader to check how much online insurance is going to be if this is your first car, because you might find it costing a fortune.

Edited by GordonH

My first car was a Land Rover.

25yrs later, my car is still a Land Rover.

As for me I had a 1968 Mini 998 followed by a 1974 Mini 850, 1979 Mini 1293GT, 1980 Mini 1380, 1981 Mini 998, 1978 Mini 1440 w00t.gif

I loved my mini, couldn't tell you what model it was though. My Dad (an ex engineer in the Navy) spent months restoring her and then I wrote her off in an accident. A car pulled out on me and I either hit the car or mounted the pavement, luckily no-one was on it at the time. :aok:

What do you drive now?

I'm not much of a car person, so I can't really advise what to get. However my first car was a Rover 25, and if you're going to take any advice from me it's got to be this;

NEVER EVER EVER GET A ROVER 25!!!

Satan car! smiley_strop.gif

This time I ended up getting the car that Herts Pol use, except not a diesel. So I have a Vauxhall Astra 1.8, and I love it! ;)

I loved my mini, couldn't tell you what model it was though. My Dad (an ex engineer in the Navy) spent months restoring her and then I wrote her off in an accident. A car pulled out on me and I either hit the car or mounted the pavement, luckily no-one was on it at the time. ;)

What do you drive now?

The thing I loved about the Mini was the ability to work on it yourself, so as an engineer they were a practical workbench to learn on and you could get two of them in a standard council garage!

I Drive a Passat now and am loving the build quality.

• 3 weeks later...

i'm looking to buy my 1st car soon, what do you think is the best? I'm looking for a small automatic car thats not too weak as I'll be doing motorway driving and driving up steep hills in the countryside. A bonus if it's 4 wheel drive as it might snow!

I'm thinking of something like a Ford Focus or Peugeot 207. I'll probably add an ipod connector and later I'd like to put racing seats in.

I've just bought a Fiat Grande Punto yesterday for my wife to learn in. It's only a 1.2 petrol and it is rather good, i'm quite suprised how well it runs. It kept up with motorway traffce no problem so if you go for the 1.4 auto you'll be laughing.

My first car is a 1998 Toyota corrola 1597cc 5door in lucerene silver

Its yet to let me down (touch wood)

frenchy, you have to drive it for it to let you down. you only do 500 miles per year.

• 4 weeks later...

Suzuki x90! I borrowed my mates for a couple of weeks and had such a laugh in it! I felt like Ken off of Barbie and Ken.

They come in either RWD or 4x4. The one I had was a 1.6 and wasn't too bad. You can get them for about £500 too.

rare-suzuki-x-90-4x4_4586188.jpg

If you want something a little less girly, go for the Suzuki Vitara.

71520d1202609338-vendo-suzuki-vitara-97-98-img_0114a.jpg

EDIT: I don't think they do an Auto... Do you need an auto as I think you may struggle to get auto and 4x4.

Edited by Vixxer

Suzuki x90! I borrowed my mates for a couple of weeks and had such a laugh in it! I felt like Ken off of Barbie and Ken.

They come in either RWD or 4x4. The one I had was a 1.6 and wasn't too bad. You can get them for about £500 too.

rare-suzuki-x-90-4x4_4586188.jpg

If you want something a little less girly, go for the Suzuki Vitara.

71520d1202609338-vendo-suzuki-vitara-97-98-img_0114a.jpg

EDIT: I don't think they do an Auto... Do you need an auto as I think you may struggle to get auto and 4x4.

I'm sorry but the Vitara is still girly! :scotcop: plus you can get loads of vitara's in automatic, old and new but I don't know how good they'll be.