Issue at work

X-Adz-X

Good Evening everyone,

I've recently started work at a care home and I really do enjoy it. However, I was made aware that my department manager is very offensive towards people and I was slightly prepared.

However, last weekend his behavior got unacceptable. His hatred towards the agancy workers from Africa and has also become very homophobic towards myself. He seems to feel it's fun to have a joke about me being gay, normally i'm cool with that, however he's started referring to me as a "Queer C***" and tells me that I'll never make it as a copper as whenever I arrest someone they'll just call me a queer and sod off etc.

Now, I'm fully aware this blokes a complete waste of space, but it should not be acceptable for anyone to subject workers to such abuse, be it racial or homophobic. I've been to the main managers and have finally put a written complaint in against him, as he got too much over the past few days. However, I've got to wait for HO to make a final decision, but ideally I want him to be fired, as he's been racist towards the workers so much and it's not nice, as he's a very frightening person and very intimidating etc.

I often fail to turn up at work when it's just me working with him, as I cannot be bothered going into work just to be abused.

So, if HO fail to deal with the matter, what legal routes can I go down?

Sorry to sound like a wimp, but this is seriously effecting me and I don't know what else to do.

Many thanks,

Adam

Edited by X-Adz-X

• Global Moderators

Nothing wimpy about it at all Adam, your manager is nothing but a bully and a coward.

Have a word with your colleagues and find out if they have also been abused to their faces and if they confirm that they have then encourage them to be brave and report it. Nobody should have to put up with this and it's totally unacceptable behaviour.

If the company fail to act then I would suggest speaking to a solicitor about it. With that in mind I will post the disclaimer and move the topic to 'Help Me'.

Our standard disclaimer: This forum is not intended as a legal advice drop-in centre. PoliceSpecials.com disclaims any and all responsibility or liability for the accuracy, content, completeness, legality, reliability, operability or availability of information or material on this site, including - but not limited to - the documents available in the 'Reference Library' and 'Downloads' areas.

Please note that comments and advice given here with the best of intentions by the host, moderators or other users of the forum may not be correct, and that any advice given, in particular advice on the law and its application, is no substitute for personal legal advice from a solicitor.

Thanks for moving it, sorry.

The only other people who I work with is my Brother, and he's taking the managers side because he's really sour he got rejected by Hampshire a number of times. So, he likes to make things awkward for me, I'm not allowed at work to discuss the incidents because it's being investigated. 

Seems to be such an awkward situation, and I can't see a way out of it. I honestly feel I cannot work there anymore.

• Global Moderators

Don't worry about me moving the topic, I just feel that it wouldn't do it any justice in amongst the joviality of the Locker Room.

What about the agency workers? Have you spoken to them at all?

I would also recommend speaking to your local Citizens Advice Bureau regarding your problems. Kepp your chin up mate, you're not in the wrong and I'm sorry that your brother seems to be on his side. Shame on him.

The Agency workers feel if they complain they wont be allowed to return to the work place, I'm sure that's not true however I'm not too sure what goes on to be honest. However I know they could stand up, as he abuses them in front of me.

• Global Moderators

The Agency workers feel if they complain they wont be allowed to return to the work place, I'm sure that's not true however I'm not too sure what goes on to be honest. However I know they could stand up, as he abuses them in front of me.

I know it's effectively catch 22 for them but if enough of them come forward then surely the company will take notice.

It all just seems so wrong, what's going on doesn't seem right. He's he outside of the law with the homophobic comments and racial discrimination in the work place?

Hello Adam,

It's getting late and you really do deserve a better reply that I am capable of at the moment because I am tired, but I want to reply now so that I can 'bookmark' your topic and easily find it tomorrow when I am a bit more with it.

But as an employer myself, one thing stands out in your original post that could be a 'get out' for your own employer, so can you please expand a bit more on this quote from your post please?

I often fail to turn up at work when it's just me working with him, as I cannot be bothered going into work just to be abused.

The job I do makes me ill rather a lot, due to dealing with ill people. So, when I'm ill, tired and not that willing, the thought of having this bloke making it more unpleasent I would just phone in sick and have my shift covered.

I don't just fail to turn up, as I put it. I should of explained a bit more, sorry.

This needs to be reported to his manager and you need to keep a diary of everything that happens and is said. If nothing is done about it and you feel your only option is to leave then you will have a good case for constructive dismissal.

If he is the most senior manager then you need to make your feelings known to him and again keep a diary, if he fails to act and you feel the need to leave then again it can be seen as a constructive dismissal.

If either of the above happen take him or your you employers to tribunal.

If you don't stand up to this bully then he'll just continue and pick on the next person, as a police officer I'm sure you will have the integrity and moral temerity to do what is right.

Good luck.

• Like 1

The managers above him, as well as HO are aware and a report and statement was sent off yesterday. 

And I'm not reporting him for myself, I'm also doing it on behalf of those he's affected with his childish and stupid insulting behavior.

I have pretty much the same problem and issues that you had/are having.

I work for a well-known fast food company and our managers (a minority of them) treat me, especially, like rubbish. I'm the type of person that doesn't take too kindly to people passing judgment on another person because of their sexual orientation and I let them know I wasn't too pleased. My manager is plain rude, insulting and doesn't speak to me because I noticed that they were well aware of food being sold which was out of date (yes out of date!) and I contacted their manager. They weren't too ecstatic an ever since I've been subjected to verbal abuse, been treat unfairly, sworn at, been threatened and had my hours cut whereas others - who are part-time - have had theirs increased to 30+ which is against the law according the HR guy I spoke too.

Today I had a grievance meeting where I couldn't shut up! I literally didn't stop talking for an hour. The end result is that my allegations will be investigated and I have witnesses to prove what happened, etc. In the mean time I've asked for a transfer away from my store but when I join the MSC I'm most probably going to have to transfer away again.

I understand your annoyance at these bigoted people.Just don't let them get to you and most importantly let your HR department know and keep any emails and record of phone calls too.

I have pretty much the same problem and issues that you had/are having.

I work for a well-known fast food company and our managers (a minority of them) treat me, especially, like rubbish. I'm the type of person that doesn't take too kindly to people passing judgment on another person because of their sexual orientation and I let them know I wasn't too pleased. My manager is plain rude, insulting and doesn't speak to me because I noticed that they were well aware of food being sold which was out of date (yes out of date!) and I contacted their manager. They weren't too ecstatic an ever since I've been subjected to verbal abuse, been treat unfairly, sworn at, been threatened and had my hours cut whereas others  - who are part-time - have had theirs increased to 30+ which is against the law according the HR guy I spoke too.

Today I had a grievance meeting where I couldn't shut up! I literally didn't stop talking for an hour. The end result is that my allegations will be investigated and I have witnesses to prove what happened, etc. In the mean time I've asked for a transfer away from my store but when I join the MSC I'm most probably going to have to transfer away again.

I understand your annoyance at these bigoted people.Just don't let them get to you and most importantly let your HR department know and keep any emails and record of phone calls too.

Wow, I'm sorry to hear about this. Sounds much worse than what's happening with me. Seriously hope them complete knobs are dealt with, people like this don't deserve to be employed.

As Cheetah says, it is vital to document everything that occurs and any formal discussions held with anyone, and also any 'informal' comments regardless of there being no witnesses.

The behaviour of some people is bloody criminal; I recently managed to 'escape' a difficult role that took both polite arguement and controlled written agression to resolve.

Refer everything to area management and HR, in writing. If no response is forthcoming within a week or two then contact the Fair Employment Agency for guidance and a consultation if possible. Also get some relevant legal representation, and make your company aware that you have taken these steps.

If the employer does not act in a positive manner in a reasonable time frame they are putting themselves in potential trouble.

Stay strong mate, and keep your eyes on what you want from the situation.

• Like 1