Distance Learning Degrees....

bensonby

I've been looking on and off for quite a while at doing a distance learning postgraduate degree with some relevance to the job: something in criminology or law..... not really because I've got a great eye on going for promotion or anything like that - more for personal satisfaction.

I read a lot of legal and police theory jut out of my personal experience and find it fascinating. However, was rather disillusioned after my undergraduate degree in history (BA at Manchester) - I felt that I paid a lot of money to be to do reading and research that I could have done in my own time: It didn't feel like I got any great guidance or insight for my (not inconsiderable amount of) money spent.

Has anyone done any of these degrees (university of Leicester is looking like the best choice for this field and this type of learning)? Would anyone recommend them?

It seems like a huge amount of money to invest and I'm genuinely not sure if this would just be a very expensive vanity project - or something actually worthwhile and value for money.

Any thoughts or input gratefully received!

Hey,

I'm currently doing a BSc from University of London (Royal Holloway) in Business Administration and Marketing and it's fab! Granted some of the online tutors could be more helpful, overall it's pretty good, and I've just started the higher level and my 2nd year of study (there are basic, higher, and advanced levels).

It requires some sacrifices - not going out after work much so I can study in the evenings etc. but it is very cost effective. For a BSc (and one of the most expensive ones they offer) it cost me approx. £800 for the first year, and £320 per year continuing registration fee thereafter. This includes all of the core text books and guide books, and I reckon I spent about another £200 on text books last year on top of this.

The only other cost I have is my exam fees, which are about £75 per half unit exam, and £150 per full unit exam. Each year consists of the equivelant of 4 full units, so approx. £600 in exam fees. If I finish in 3 years (which is my aim) I will have spent less than £5k total, which seems good value to me! Postgraduate fees work a little bit differently (as do Law degree fees) so it's worth reading up on.

You do have to be dedicated, it's hard work and you have to get really organised (unless you are already of course!). I'm not sure how other universities do it, but my course mark is determined entirely by exam results - in other words any essays I do during the course of the year help me out as my tutor marks them and gives feedback on them, however they do not actually count. This means if you are too busy due to work commitments etc. you don't lose out by not handing one in.

Another point is that I have between 3-8 years to complete the course, therefore if I wanted to take a break for a year I could. Similarly, I could take 2 years studying each level before sitting the exams. It's a really flexible solution, but you do have to be really motivated and organised to make it work.

Here's the link to the most relevant course I could find at UoL, an LLM course - http://www.londoninternational.ac.uk/prospective_students/postgraduate/laws/index.shtml

Hope this helps, feel free to PM me with any questions!

Thanks for your reply.

the courses I were looking at seemed to be rather more expensive and had to be completed in 2 years! Maybe I've not been looking hard enough!

Ideally I'd want something I could spread out for maybe 3,4 or 5 years....at least then I could spread the work and the cost!

Strangely enough I've just posted in the 'What should Security do' thread about foundation degrees, I second the University of Leicester Bensonby, although I've not personally done one with them I know a number of people who have 'security' FDs etc through them and they have all praised the support and quality of course etc plus its recognition in the real world (something to seriously consider)

Strangely enough I've just posted in the 'What should Security do' thread about foundation degrees, I second the University of Leicester Bensonby, although I've not personally done one with them I know a number of people who have 'security' FDs etc through them and they have all praised the support and quality of course etc plus its recognition in the real world (something to seriously consider)

Definitely. Uni of London has a pretty good rep as well. I'm not sure which college would award the degree but you could ask!

They can be done between 2-5 years for the LLM, and I think it's about £7k.