VIRUS....on computer

Time_Bandit1546080817

Can anyone help me please on how to get rid of the following virus.

I am NOT a computer person and any explanation will have to be in lamens terms....sorry!!!

Trojan-Downloader.JS.Iframe.bxw

Will I be able to do it or will I have to buy some software to get rid of it?

My Virgin PC Guard Anti-Virus says that it can't disinfect it so it has quarantined it!!!

Help me please!

Thanks in advance

TB

Edited by Time_Bandit

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HertsNathan

• Time_Bandit1546080817

• Paradox

• Aran

My Virgin PC Guard Anti-Virus says that it can't disinfect it so it has quarantined it!!!

Seems like a fairly newly detected trojan, but from the sound of things you might be OK? I can't find much information about it yet, but from the message you've been given by PC Guard, it has successfully quarantined it - just means its moved it somewhere else on your machine, effectively 'firewalled' off.

Is your machine behaving normally?

It might be worth considering getting a better internet security package. Virgin PC Guard is known for dealing with pop-ups quite well, but it's not so good with viruses. I'd recommend McAfee.

Oh...and AVG is worth a look. The free version works very well.

Thats what I just swapped from to try MSE .. AVG is not bad for a free product either :)

The best Anti Virus is Avast Avast's Website.

Free and will run a boot time scan for you - ie. will scan files before your operating system opens, that way files are not in use and can be deleted and read without any problems.

Seems like a fairly newly detected trojan, but from the sound of things you might be OK? I can't find much information about it yet, but from the message you've been given by PC Guard, it has successfully quarantined it - just means its moved it somewhere else on your machine, effectively 'firewalled' off.

Is your machine behaving normally?

Thank you for reply.

So would it appear I don't have to do anything at this stage with it. If it is "quarantined" somewhere on my computer......can't I get rid of it?

Thank you for reply.

So would it appear I don't have to do anything at this stage with it. If it is "quarantined" somewhere on my computer......can't I get rid of it?

There should be an option to empty your quarantine somewhere .. unfortunately, I'm not familiar with your software!

try combining mcafee and avg free very good combo hard to set up right though

I wouldn't have thought that running 2 anti-virus simultaneously would be a good idea!! Unless you like a machine that runs like molasses :)

You might find the original file is in a temp folder and will keep popping up and getting quarantined.

Download ccleaner and set it to delete temp files less than 24 hours old and then run it.

Next turn off system restore and restart, this will delete all of your old system restore points (which is where many of these files hide).

Turn system restore back on and reboot.

Finally download malwarebytes anti-malware (free version), install, update and run it to clean up any other nasties.

try combining mcafee and avg free very good combo hard to set up right though

When you install two pieces anti-virus software it kind of gets a bit messy... One piece of software dislikes the other one and visa versa and they can cause more harm than good.

When you install two pieces anti-virus software it kind of gets a bit messy... One piece of software dislikes the other one and visa versa and they can cause more harm than good.

Indeed, you should never run more than one AV program. I would recommend MS Security Essesntials or Avast!. AVG is rubbish.

Alternatively, you could use an online scanner for your current issue such as Trend Micro Housecall http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

• 3 weeks later...

i have to agree !! run trend micro housecall o your pc !! its good and if you cant then let me know!! ill give you a link to some powerful applications!!

i run macafee and avg free together they work fine, my pc is a gaming pc which is updated yearly, sometimes less. i once had a problem with avg not updating due to macafee but just deleted a file and let it re patch itself and its fine. out of the 2 avg always finds the virus first though macafee has found a nasty one that avg didn't, so it works in swing and roundabouts