Notice Board
  • Great Deals
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Get your very own website designed by our in-house team at RAW Digital Media. Get 25% off all quotes using reference "RAW25" Prices start at just £199 Click HERE to read more.
  • Website hosting packages start from just £59 p/year Click HERE to read more.
adamwales

Diesel Estate - Which One?!

adamwales

Hello All,

Currently I drive a Vauxhall Vectra SRI CDTI Hatch, but looking to upgrade to an estate.  I am after people's thoughts on the following line up, and also on pros / cons of Used / New - PCP / New - Leasing

Vauxhall Insignia 2.0 CDTI SRI

Skoda Octavia 2.0 VRS TDI

Focus ST2 or ST3 TDCI

BMW 330d / 325d M Sport Tourer

I'd like something with a bit of grunt, that has space for the dog and the bikes!

Member Achievements

Adamski

I'm eagerly looking forward to getting an estate. I'm quite tempted by the VRS but would go Petrol rather than Diesel. The problem with Skoda is that they generally hold their value very, very poorly and so you've got to keep it for its life to really get your moneys worth. Of the four, if you can afford it, I'd probably go BMW. 

Member Achievements

miffy

I really like the look of estates, not sure why! Personally Im going to get a 3 series estate once I graduate university.

Also going diesel just so its better for longer distance as I want to go drive abroad in it. 

Member Achievements

PCSD

Have you considered the Mazda 6 Tourer? You get a lot of car for your money and their 2.2 litre Diesels drive well, especially the 175ps version. I currently have a Focus ST3 hatchback which is coming up to one year old and I'm already looking at replacements for next year when the PCP ends. I'm tempted by a larger estate car for some long distance road trips and carting the kit around that some of my hobbies require.

Member Achievements

adamwales

A family member has the Mazda, was impressed.  Never owned a Mazda though... Perhaps a test drive is in order!

Member Achievements

PCSD

Indeed, a colleague has the 3 and they're quite nice inside. Once it comes closer to renewal time I'll be taking the 6 on a test drive. I'd be going for Sports Nav trim with the 175ps 2.2 litre diesel.

Although I get 350 odd miles out of a full tank of petrol in the current ST3 it's a killer on trips into Wales for me! I missed the days of 600 miles out of a tank in my old 1.9CDTi 150 Vectra!

Edited by PCSD

Member Achievements

BlueBob

If your going to be bumping bikes onto the back door or inside then perhaps PCP is likely to cost you when it comes to the end of a contract for PCP and they look at the scratches etc.  Not keen on new car as it drop in value so quickly

Used seems to allow you to get more for your money.  

Skoda gives you a lot for your money and one of the better value in terms of running costs.

Many people are either Ford or Vauxhall, in the same way its Audi of VW, BMW of Merc, Citroen or Peugeot, Mazda or Toyota and so on.  Perhaps the lines are blurring a little these days but you can see where I'm coming from.

Big BMW seems nice but if its an M model with any lowering of  suspension does that really suit where your going to be going for the bikes?

Having both a mondeo and Merc estate, they both do the same job with differing qualities. 

Petrol or diesel -see how many miles you do, be realistic how many miles you will do and calculate the real price difference.  Probably not a lot compared to your initial investment and VEL accompanied by a tendency for petrol being cheaper to buy (and sell) they may be an interesting option.

Edited by BlueBob

Member Achievements

Klaus

The Ford Estates really are rather good. The mondeo especially but the focus is also very nice!

Member Achievements

Lone Wolf

If you insist on diesel then your only real choice is a BMW, they are years ahead with common rail diesel technology.

Unless you're buying it new with a warranty, I'd avoid diesels altogther.  The fuel saving becomes a fallacy when paying out for repair bills that seem to afflict all modern diesels much more than petrol engines.  Plus driving a car that sounds like a tractor is a big downer.

Member Achievements

Adamski

I test drove a new model 6 and hated it. Utterly despised the drive, wasn't thrilling at all.

Member Achievements

adamwales

Thanks for the comments so far... What would your top choice be lonewolf? Petrol engines included...

Sent from my iPhone using Police Community

Member Achievements

Eddzz!!

+1 for the Ford :D 

Member Achievements

Lone Wolf
4 hours ago, adamwales said:

Thanks for the comments so far... What would your top choice be lonewolf? Petrol engines included...

What's your budget?! And any personal prefences?

As I'm a fairly competent DIY mechanic I usually buy cars that are 10+ years old but well-cared for with service history, then fix the inevitable problems as/when they arise.  This might not be for you.  I currently have a 2002 Ford Mondeo ST220 and I love it.

Member Achievements

Milankovitch

Volvo V60 Polestar in Swedish Racing Green? ;)

• Like 1

adamwales

Budget would be 15k tops, but ideally 10k (skiing isn't cheap!)

I'll be doing about 1500 miles per month, so I'd be after a lower mileage one and then sell it cheap after 3-4 years

Member Achievements

There are 15 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE

About us

Police Community was originally founded in 2014 by two serving Police Officers.

In 2016 it was incorporated as a limited company called RAW Digital Media Limited and then purchased 3 other forums; Police Specials, UK Police Online and Police UK to form the largest policing discussion forum network in the UK.

Get in touch

• 20-22 Wenlock Road, London N1 7GU
  • contact@rawdigitalmedia.co.uk
  • 0844 357 0111
  • Forums In Our Group - Police.Community - UKPoliceOnline.CO.UK - PoliceSpecials.COM - PoliceUK.COM

Twitter

Facebook

Meet The Team

• Chief Bakes
    Chief Bakes Management
  • Chief Rat
    Chief Rat Management
  • Chief Cheetah
    Chief Cheetah Management
  • Rocket
    Rocket Global Moderators
  • David