D1/C1 driver training - CPC case studies

Scot

Hello,

Has anyone recently completed their C1/D1 driver training? 

In terms of the theory tests - there's the multiple choice/hazard perception. Am I right in saying that I do not have to do the CPC case studies if I am not going to be a professional driver, i.e. drive for living? Police does not count as driving for a living? 

Thanks,

Scot.

Just did mine with my force. Police are exempt from CPC so you don't cover it at all.

Good luck.

Just did mine with my force. Police are exempt from CPC so you don't cover it at all.

Good luck.

Thanks Switch. 

How did you find the practical? I have heard they are extremely precise regarding the reversing aspect?

What's CPC?

I did mine two years ago for police (to the day :) ) and never heard of CPC.

From memory, the reversing is ok - provided you don't touch the lines I think you are fine.  You are permitted to stop and go forward during the manouevre to make any corrections.

The reversing was easy for me but some on my course failed due to hitting the cones. The line is ok to touch (a minor fault recorded) but if your wheel passes the line it's a fail.

You are permitted two shunts forward if you need to. Each one will be recorded as a minor fault. So if you under or over shoot your line just do one massive shunt forward and reverse straight back into the area you have to park in.

The training for each vehicle was about 1.5 hours each. The assessed DSA drive lasted over a hour. So yes it is a challenging course and the pass mark where I am isn't great.

On my course we must have practiced the reversing 15-20 times.  I can see how nerves might get to some though and fluff it up on the test.

What's CPC?

I did mine two years ago for police (to the day :) ) and never heard of CPC.

From memory, the reversing is ok - provided you don't touch the lines I think you are fine.  You are permitted to stop and go forward during the manouevre to make any corrections.

CPC is where you are driving professionally. It's a series of scenarios, i.e. driving on ice, and you have to answer questions on it. 

Yes, I have my medical this week. Theory once the provisional entitlement is added and then practical at some time end of March. I've heard it's quite a tough one. 

CPC is where you are driving professionally. It's a series of scenarios, i.e. driving on ice, and you have to answer questions on it. 

Yes, I have my medical this week. Theory once the provisional entitlement is added and then practical at some time end of March. I've heard it's quite a tough one. 

I'm pretty sure of the 200 theory questions, there were some that weren't really relevant to driving a police personnel carrier.

Are you saying that 'professional' D1/C1 candidates have to answer even more?!

I'm pretty sure of the 200 theory questions, there were some that weren't really relevant to driving a police personnel carrier.

Yes, it is another theory and hazard perception and test. Then you can drive as your main job.

For future reference if you need it for traffic offences.

CPC needed - if you drive as main part of your job over 3.5 tonnes, i.e delivery driver, lorry driver, bin driver

CPC not needed - if the driving you do is a part of your job - i.e a builder who drives to one site, builds, then drives back.

Yeah - another 6 scenario questions worth 20 marks each! 

Just for clarity, initial driver CPC is two parts: The first is a computer based study of seven scenarios (module 2) and the second a practical demonstration test (module 4). Neither are difficult.