Notice Board
  • Great Deals
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Get your very own website designed by our in-house team at RAW Digital Media. Get 25% off all quotes using reference "RAW25" Prices start at just £199 Click HERE to read more.
  • Website hosting packages start from just £59 p/year Click HERE to read more.
CopperCopper

Unidentified vehicle

CopperCopper

Hey all,

I just saw the strangest thing in a Lidl car park in Edinburgh. It was a Mitsubishi Outlander, unmarked with a light bar and sirens. As he was exiting the car park he activated his light bar and grille lights then as he approached the junction to the main road he activated his siren and sped off. I wish i'd got a photo as it just didn't look quite right! Anyone seen a similar vehicle or know of its uses? It wasn't on diplomatic plates and the occupants didn't look like emergency service workers (they were of a rather large build).

It looked similar to this car but with the addition of a light bar.

Regards

Used_Mitsubishi_Outlander_2007_Black_Est

Member Achievements

CopperCopper

On-call fire officers?

Not a clue! Possible, i'm pretty sure I saw a LIDL volleyball net in the back :whistle: 

I just found it slightly odd that it had no markings whatsoever yet had what looked like a permanently secured light bar! I guess i'll never find out!

Edited by CopperCopper
Add quote

Member Achievements

Milankovitch

The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service have a couple of vehicles like that in Edinburgh, I've been to fires and serious RTCs where some manager has appeared in one. The Scottish Ambulance Service also have similar vehicles for managers etc but they don't tend to have permanently fitted light bars so I'd be leaning towards SFRS.

Example of SFRS vehicles:

https://flic.kr/p/y1yabV

Scottish Fire & Rescue Service Officers Car/YJ15 SEYSenior Firefighter officers vehices

Edited by Milankovitch
  • Like 1

AnthonyB

Also a possibility it's one of the hundreds of unmarked response cars used by 'private ambulance services' regardless of their dubious legality following the legal clarification arising from the Hatzollah case.

They are regularly for sale almost as much as the marked variants (one FB medical supplies sales groups has two on at the moment) and more are created by the ready availability of surplus EWE to fit to them. One enterprising seller bought almost a dozen ex-FRS silver estate cars with full 360 covert lighting and sirens and had flogged them all within a couple of weeks.

Member Achievements

Milankovitch

As I'm sure you are aware there are not nearly the same level of provision within the private ambulance sector in Scotland as there is south of the border. Without knowing the specific vehicle involved it would be difficult to prove or disprove which organisation or individual was using the vehicle but I definitely would not suggest there are hundreds of private response vehicles operating in Scotland.

I'm also not aware of an equivalent of the Hatzollah case in Scotland and it is important to bear in mind that the case is not binding on a Scottish court.

PoliceDoge

I'm also not aware of an equivalent of the Hatzollah case in Scotland and it is important to bear in mind that the case is not binding on a Scottish court.

Though it would possibly be a persuasive precedent for Scottish courts.

Member Achievements

Eebs

Could possibly be a fire commander or someone, around my area they all have skodaoktavias, estate, saloon or the small one. All of them are silver, have a permement light bar, kept at home address ect.

to be honest i have  seen what looks like that Mitsubishi silver permanent bar ect in my area and it is marked as an NHS ambulance (by one NHS sticker on each side) and another is plain silver light bar grill lights eat fire Cheif

The world wonders.

Member Achievements

ParochialYokal

I had some sympathy for the Hatzollah case until I found out that they probably aren't 'trained Paramedics' in the same sense of the ambulance service, but volunteers whom have been first aid trained.

Sent from my iPhone usring Police Community

Member Achievements

ParochialYokal

Interesting video from New York: someone phones Hatzollah and about 10 of them turn up once... to the wrong address:

It really wouldn't be desirable to allow them to operate like that in the U.K.

Sent from my iPhone usring Police Community

Member Achievements

VAFive-O

From the outside looking in, what's to distinguish them from police?  How would a citizen know if are being pulled over by law enforcement or if it's a medic that decides to "flex some muscle" for whatever reason?

I see this same issue in the NY video, since both police and fire use red. Here in Virginia at least blue or blue/red is law enforcement. Red is fire/ambulance. Volunteers fire fighters/medics can use red on personal car but no sirens. 

Member Achievements