Jump to content

Tribal Police detain Montana law enforcement officer


Wikicop20
 Share

Recommended Posts

Tribal authorities detain Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks warden for 5 1/2 hours (2014).

An interesting situation (in the US of course - where else!) where a State Officer of Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks Warden (who are state officers and protect the environment) is stopped from going on a county road through a reservation.

The Tribal Authorities seem to dislike the State from going through, because of some hunting violation earlier on. It is very showing what happens when different levels of government fall out and what happens in the field.
 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Wilts20 said:

Tribal authorities detain Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks warden for 5 1/2 hours (2014).

An interesting situation (in the US of course - where else!) where a State Officer of Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks Warden (who are state officers and protect the environment) is stopped from going on a county road through a reservation.

The Tribal Authorities seem to dislike the State from going through, because of some hunting violation earlier on. It is very showing what happens when different levels of government fall out and what happens in the field.
 

 

 

My understanding is that the tribal reservations are almost mini-states within the US and have their own tribal laws, courts etc. 

My understanding is that Tribal Police have NO jurisdiction with people who are not residents within their tribal reservation... So how they could they detain the warden I don't know. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Radman said:

My understanding is that the tribal reservations are almost mini-states within the US and have their own tribal laws, courts etc. 

My understanding is that Tribal Police have NO jurisdiction with people who are not residents within their tribal reservation... So how they could they detain the warden I don't know. 

I think they can detain anyone on the reservation but must hand them over to local law enforcement.
 

They also I hear don’t deal with serious crime that is managed by the FBI.

 

All sounds a bit disjointed 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Radman said:

My understanding is that the tribal reservations are almost mini-states within the US and have their own tribal laws, courts etc. 

My understanding is that Tribal Police have NO jurisdiction with people who are not residents within their tribal reservation... So how they could they detain the warden I don't know. 

 

53 minutes ago, Ether said:

I think they can detain anyone on the reservation but must hand them over to local law enforcement.
 

They also I hear don’t deal with serious crime that is managed by the FBI.

 

All sounds a bit disjointed 

I believe this is all correct and I think the back story was a political disagreement and they just took it upon themselves to do as they liked!

Most operate very well with State and Federal, but as most are managed by tribal councils they are all quite different.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Wilts20 said:

 

I believe this is all correct and I think the back story was a political disagreement and they just took it upon themselves to do as they liked!

Most operate very well with State and Federal, but as most are managed by tribal councils they are all quite different.

Cant blame the native Americans for lacking trust in the US Government 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Ether said:

Cant blame the native Americans for lacking trust in the US Government 

No indeed.

Interestingly there is a Federal Bureau of Indian Affairs - again with its own police force

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Police Community is a forum that is supported financially through advertisements. It is a breach of our standard use policy to use Adblock plugins/software on our site. 

In order to continue using our site you will need to disable Adblock across our site. Alternatively you can purchase a membership package from our online store to remove adverts as part of the membership subscription. 

https://police.community/remove-adverts/

Thank you for your support.

I have disabled Adblock