Trepassing, Verbal Threats & Spitting during Pandemic. How to deal with it?

N Regent

An ex-employee was let go back in December 2020 due to alarming threats to other employees.  We know the ex-employee has mental health issues, they were getting out of hand as he often made references to harming (and on rare occasions kill) LGBT & black people.  He was employed for more than a year and only stayed because he was good at his job until his threats became increasingly worrying to the point we had to let him go.  Paid in full with severance pay, he has been messaging us continuously threatening to harm/kill us unless we pay him more money and give him his job back.  This has since been going on for a month with numerous phone calls, messages from different numbers as well as trespassing on the property refusing to leave.  On one occasion he refused to wear a mask and ended up spitting in one of employees face who ended up getting coronavirus.   He has sent threats to all five of our employees and make numerous calls 20+ a day with threats.  Given all this we feel to a degree he is harmless because of his mental health, but fear growing threats will be an issue in the future.  The last time he came we called police in which he was physically removed, but nothing else and the calls/messages are growing more and more threatening.  We want to put an end to this before it gets too serious that he may eventually carry out his threats.  

Are we able to remove him from the property with reasonable force?  i.e holding his arm 

What rights do we have if spitting, surely it is more serious crime during the pandemic?  

Can the police bar him from coming within 100m of the place and sending threatening calls?  

Our employees are blocking all his calls, but he keeps calling from the free BT phone points which allows people to call for free.  We have so blocked something in the region of 10 different numbers with no sign of it slowing down.  

SimonT

Have you tried reporting them to the police?

There are loads of criminal offences and it sounds like they need to be arrested fairly promptly. 

If someone is trespassing you can tell them to leave and use reasonable force to remove them, but a mentally ill person who has threatened to kill you and your staff, has already assaulted one , that's police business

Edited by SimonT
N Regent
5 hours ago, SimonT said:

Have you tried reporting them to the police?

There are loads of criminal offences and it sounds like they need to be arrested fairly promptly. 

If someone is trespassing you can tell them to leave and use reasonable force to remove them, but a mentally ill person who has threatened to kill you and your staff, has already assaulted one , that's police business

Yes we reported to the police twice, given statements and even got reference numbers for the one when he trespassed.  I would of course prefer the police to deal with it, however looking back at our CCTV he was just as aggressive to them too and ignoring their instructions too.   This has been going on for 6+ weeks and we are ignoring all of his calls and voice messages to avoid antagonising him.  However in reviewing the 400+ messages he has been sending us we feel it has gotten worse and just want find a solution to helping him with his mental health before he actually ends up carrying out his violent threats.  

Any advice on a specific area of law is from either currently-serving UK police officers, and is offered to the best of their ability, or from members of the public who are perhaps aspiring to be serving police officers and may not hold the necessary level of knowledge to provide such assistance or by any other member who may offer their opinion. Either way such advice can only be treated as an opinion and nothing more. Members should look for the Verified Members Badge that appears on the posters name as advice from members holding this badge are verified police employees. The information is based on their own individual experiences, expertise and training. It is stressed, however, that if any information or advice found in these forums is used by any person or organisation, then the respective police officer(s) and staff can not and will not take any responsibility for any outcome in any investigation in a criminal or civil enquiry. Any advice or opinion offered is to the best of the individuals knowledge and ability based on the information you have supplied, and we will stress that we will never be knowingly misleading or untruthful in content.

[*]Please note, we do not offer advice or assistance in order to avoid penalties that you have incurred or maybe pending.

[*]Such requests are deemed to be of an Operational nature and against our main Forum Rules.

[*]You should always seek Legal Advice from a Qualified Solicitor in the event of any impending prosecutions or other involved legal matter.

Administration Team Police Community

• Like 2
SimonT
19 hours ago, N Regent said:

Yes we reported to the police twice, given statements and even got reference numbers for the one when he trespassed.  I would of course prefer the police to deal with it, however looking back at our CCTV he was just as aggressive to them too and ignoring their instructions too.   This has been going on for 6+ weeks and we are ignoring all of his calls and voice messages to avoid antagonising him.  However in reviewing the 400+ messages he has been sending us we feel it has gotten worse and just want find a solution to helping him with his mental health before he actually ends up carrying out his violent threats.  

Did the police take any action against him? It sounds like you have a very strong case for harassment, a S4 harassment- which is more serious.

If you have reported it and the police have not done anything and offered no explanation then it's probably time to press for a good explanation for a supervisor

DodgeRam

Keep all the messages saved ready to provide to your local police force when you report the Malicious Communications and harrasment you have been receiving. 

Reasonable Man

You need to make a ‘nuisance’ of yourself to the local police for them to deal with this expeditiously. I don’t mean be the problem but from what you’ve reported there are five victims here, so that’s at least five crimes. It could be that your employees report things to you you pass some of that on to the police. Everyone should be encouraged to report every worrying contact on every occasion.

Just from the OP someone should have crimes of blackmail, harassment, malicious communications, and assault on their workload and with the potential of this escalating it should be dealt with quickly. If you sit back and wait for the police to deal and get back to you you may wait a long time, things may naturally calm down and you may be talked into agreeing to some low level resolution like a community resolution. 

I repeat, I’ve if I was the OPI would get all my employees to report every threatening/ abusive/harassing contact and ask for a crime number each time. 

BizzieBee
On 18/02/2021 at 18:20, N Regent said:

I would of course prefer the police to deal with it, however looking back at our CCTV he was just as aggressive to them too and ignoring their instructions too

Sorry, I may have misunderstood here. The suspect was arrested, surely?