Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
brellow96

S28F - Immigration Act 1971, Entry and Search of Premises following Arrest

brellow96

Hi all, 

I'm currently cramming for the SPE and have therefore been up to my eyeballs in swathes of immigration legislation. 

The majority of the powers conferred by S28A - S28H seem to be lifted and amended slightly from the PACE wording which is helpful. 

However, my question relates to S28F (Entry and Search of Premises following Arrest...) which, again, seems in the majority to be a cut and paste from S18 PACE.

Could someone be so kind as to shine a light on the bottom line of this subsection?

(3)The power may be exercised—

(a)before taking the arrested person to a place where he is to be detained; and

(b)without obtaining an authorisation under subsection (2)(c),

if the presence of that person at a place other than one where he is to be detained is necessary for the effective investigation of the offence.

In what circumstances would someone's presence away from custody permit the effective investigation of the offence? A key to open their front door?! 🤣

Thanks in advance! 

Billy Blue Tac
Posted (edited)

There are loads of circumstances; the ones most referenced in training/exams etc are facilitating safe and/or proportionate access to a premises/safe/car/lock-up or identifying personal property in multi-occupancy dwellings that are to be searched. 

PM with your .pnn or .gov email address if you need more help with the SPE

Edited by Billy Blue Tac

XA84

Any advice on a specific area of law is from either currently-serving UK police officers, and is offered to the best of their ability, or from members of the public who are perhaps aspiring to be serving police officers and may not hold the necessary level of knowledge to provide such assistance or by any other member who may offer their opinion. Either way such advice can only be treated as an opinion and nothing more. Members should look for the Verified Members Badge that appears on the posters name as advice from members holding this badge are verified police employees. The information is based on their own individual experiences, expertise and training. It is stressed, however, that if any information or advice found in these forums is used by any person or organisation, then the respective police officer(s) and staff can not and will not take any responsibility for any outcome in any investigation in a criminal or civil enquiry. Any advice or opinion offered is to the best of the individuals knowledge and ability based on the information you have supplied, and we will stress that we will never be knowingly misleading or untruthful in content.

[*]Please note, we do not offer advice or assistance in order to avoid penalties that you have incurred or maybe pending.

[*]Such requests are deemed to be of an Operational nature and against our main Forum Rules.

[*]You should always seek Legal Advice from a Qualified Solicitor in the event of any impending prosecutions or other involved legal matter.

Administration Team Police Community

brellow96
Author of the topic Posted
On 31/07/2020 at 19:24, Billy Blue Tac said:

There are loads of circumstances; the ones most referenced in training/exams etc are facilitating safe and/or proportionate access to a premises/safe/car/lock-up or identifying personal property in multi-occupancy dwellings that are to be searched. 

PM with your .pnn or .gov email address if you need more help with the SPE

Ahh cracking, thank you for this. I thought it would be something like that but thank you for the examples. Very helpful. 

I will do should I run into anything else along the way.