Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

fbo

Been some absolute cracking war films on the box at the moment:

Eagle has Landed (1976) Michael Caine, Anthony Quayle, Donald Pleasance etc

A Bridge too Far is popular with Channel 5.

Anyone got some favourites?

Chief Cheetah
Owner

I'm more of a WW1 film buff but they are a little more scarce than the WW2 films

1917 is a pretty good film imho for WW1.

I think I was little disappointed that last night  they showed the modern Dad's Army film.  It is a very poor facsimile of the  original series and film and I thought it somewhat insensitive to put it on as part of a VE day celebration.  It is really taking the mickey out of some very brave and well meaning folks.  By comparison tonight on the BBC is Darkest Hour, a much more serious war film.

One thing that does make my blood boil about war films though is where history gets re-written and the true facts are forgotten.  The Great Escape is a great film but it's not really the absolute truth.

Corker of a film yesterday was the 'The Man that never was' all about operation Mincemeat.  It was pretty close to the facts with some factors shortened for a film but it was close to the truth.

fbo
Author of the topic Posted
34 minutes ago, Chief Cheetah said:

I'm more of a WW1 film buff but they are a little more scarce than the WW2 films

1917 is a pretty good film imho for WW1.

I think I was little disappointed that last night  they showed the modern Dad's Army film.  It is a very poor facsimile of the  original series and film and I thought it somewhat insensitive to put it on as part of a VE day celebration.  It is really taking the mickey out of some very brave and well meaning folks.  By comparison tonight on the BBC is Darkest Hour, a much more serious war film.

One thing that does make my blood boil about war films though is where history gets re-written and the true facts are forgotten.  The Great Escape is a great film but it's not really the absolute truth.

Corker of a film yesterday was the 'The Man that never was' all about operation Mincemeat.  It was pretty close to the facts with some factors shortened for a film but it was close to the truth.

Are, the Great War films are indeed scarce in my library, but yes 1917 was good in many respects, although almost all new films (as in C21st) are just not quite up there in my view, as most of the cast in the older ones fought or served or lived through many of the events, in some way, shape or form.

Totally agree, the new Dad’s Army one is pants, they show MRS Manwaring and you are correct, almost insult brave guys (lots of HG men lost their lives during training and did actually carry out some important duties). 

The inaccuracies  are frustrating - Age of Heroes will make you froth - could not even get ranks correct! But Sean Bean is in it.

Thanks for that - I’ll check out Mincemeat one.

Yes Darkest Hour is not bad at all, as is another one that eludes me.

fbo
Author of the topic Posted

The Battle of the River Plate - 1939 RN takes on the pocket battleship Graf Spree. Pretty good (although the Germans use Tommy Guns!)