Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JamesBow

Victorinox Rescue Tool

JamesBow

Hello,

can I keep the Victorinox Rescue Tool in pouch in my car's door container?

It has a locking blade.

The reason for keeping it would be as an emergency use only as it has seatbelt cutter, window braker and disc saw.

If it is not legal to keep it with above reasoning, would it be ok to keep it in my car's boot? But then what is the point of having it in my car's boot while trapped with blocked seatbelt on?

The same goes with multi-tools, can I have a multi-tool with a locking blade in my car's boot? I'm thinking about Victorinox Swisstool X. The reason for having it would be multipurpose as the name suggests multi-tool.

Are police officers fussy when it comes to having such tools in your car? I'm not thinking about taking it from my car and carrying around town, shops etc.

Would I be in trouble when stopped by a police officer and having it?

James

Fedster

Any advice on a specific area of law is from either currently-serving UK police officers, and is offered to the best of their ability, or from members of the public who are perhaps aspiring to be serving police officers and may not hold the necessary level of knowledge to provide such assistance or by any other member who may offer their opinion. Either way such advice can only be treated as an opinion and nothing more. Members should look for the Verified Members Badge that appears on the posters name as advice from members holding this badge are verified police employees. The information is based on their own individual experiences, expertise and training. It is stressed, however, that if any information or advice found in these forums is used by any person or organisation, then the respective police officer(s) and staff can not and will not take any responsibility for any outcome in any investigation in a criminal or civil enquiry. Any advice or opinion offered is to the best of the individuals knowledge and ability based on the information you have supplied, and we will stress that we will never be knowingly misleading or untruthful in content.

[*]Please note, we do not offer advice or assistance in order to avoid penalties that you have incurred or maybe pending.

[*]Such requests are deemed to be of an Operational nature and against our main Forum Rules.

[*]You should always seek Legal Advice from a Qualified Solicitor in the event of any impending prosecutions or other involved legal matter.

Administration Team Police Community

Ether

Isn’t this what the MET PC used to smash a car window and was cleared of being in possession of an offensive weapon 

JamesBow
Author of the topic Posted
13 minutes ago, Ether said:

Isn’t this what the MET PC used to smash a car window and was cleared of being in possession of an offensive weapon 

Yes. It is exactly the same.

Ether
44 minutes ago, JamesBow said:

Yes. It is exactly the same.

Thought so, nice little bit of case law there then 

Sceptre
4 minutes ago, Ether said:

Thought so, nice little bit of case law there then 

No, because he had his with him for use at work which is a statutory defence. Anyone wanting one in their car door pocket just in case their seatbelt jams (which almost never happens because they're designed not to do that) would have to prove that they had good reason to possess it, and there's no caselaw on PNLD talking about emergency knives on a just-in-case basis. 

SimonT

I purchased one for police work. Got it in the post, looked at the size of it, sent it back. I go to a lot of crashes and it's too much for me to justify. 

A window hammer with seat belt cutter, why not? We have them in our patrol cars. 

A rescue tool in the boot, with a first aid kit. Reasonably easy to justify.

In the door, for easy access / attacking people, you are probably rolling the criminal justice dice. 

Beaker

I carry a resqme.  Glass breaker and seatbelt cutter in one, and it fits on my keys.  I was originally given the one I have on my kit belt, and it is useful for more than just seatbelts.  The locking blade on its own would mske me not carry the vitorinox rescue tool.

JamesBow
Author of the topic Posted

I see. So it seems it would be illegal in a door pocket. There's no point then to having one. I will buy a hammer with a blade then.

But what about a multi-tool (Victorinox Swisstool X) with a locking blade in my car's boot? Would it be legal to have it there as a handy repair kit with bunch of tools? Or do I need to be a builder going to work to have a good reason?

Beaker
34 minutes ago, JamesBow said:

I will buy a hammer with a blade then.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Resqme-GBO-RQM-BLACK-Escape-Tool-Black/dp/B000IE0EZO/

Seriously, they fit in your pocket or keys.  The little clip can quickly be pulled off and I tested mine on the window of a scrap car to make sure they work.  They're also cheap and you don't need to be strong to use one.  

Ether
2 hours ago, SimonT said:

I purchased one for police work. Got it in the post, looked at the size of it, sent it back. I go to a lot of crashes and it's too much for me to justify. 

A window hammer with seat belt cutter, why not? We have them in our patrol cars. 

A rescue tool in the boot, with a first aid kit. Reasonably easy to justify.

In the door, for easy access / attacking people, you are probably rolling the criminal justice dice. 

Bit of a massive leap from rescue tool to attacking people but nice to see you are open minded 

Ether
3 hours ago, Sceptre said:

No, because he had his with him for use at work which is a statutory defence. Anyone wanting one in their car door pocket just in case their seatbelt jams (which almost never happens because they're designed not to do that) would have to prove that they had good reason to possess it, and there's no caselaw on PNLD talking about emergency knives on a just-in-case basis. 

Still a nice piece of case law for police officers even if it isn’t applicable to this case

Sceptre
7 hours ago, Ether said:

Still a nice piece of case law for police officers even if it isn’t applicable to this case

Being acquitted in the Crown Court isn't caselaw and isn't binding upon any other court. It was an ill-conceived charging decision, nothing more.

Shmook

How often are you planning on being stopped and having your car searched...?

Cuddles
16 hours ago, Beaker said:

I carry a resqme.  Glass breaker and seatbelt cutter in one, and it fits on my keys.  I was originally given the one I have on my kit belt, and it is useful for more than just seatbelts.  The locking blade on its own would mske me not carry the vitorinox rescue tool.

Yep. The Victorinox Rescue Tool has its place, but that is probably in a firefighter's tunic, rather than the average member of the public's car. The Resqme is more than adequate for normal use (and can be found on the tac vest of many a police officer).