Car insurance

CD15

Does anyone have any advice on first time driver car insurance? I'm not far from (hopefully) passing my test, and I've been looking for ball park quotes from comparison websites and I'm getting about £1600 for an annual price (some with a compulsory excess of £3000) is this about right? Any advice? I'm 26

Hi Jamie,

It could be becuase you are so new to driving that you are getting those sort of quotes. Depends what you want as part of your insurance package as well etc. On top of this make and model of car and how old it is can be another big factor. Mine was £1200 when I started to drive a renault clio in 2007.

• Like 1

When I first started driving I put both my parents on as named drivers which lowered it dramatically. I'm 21 now and paying about £600 for the year,

• Like 1

When I first started driving I put both my parents on as named drivers which lowered it dramatically. I'm 21 now and paying about £600 for the year,

Thats what I did to, good point Blandy!

I don't live with my parents, they don't live far away, but can you have a named driver at a different address?

Yeah you can I have my best friend and dad as a named driver at the moment :)

• Like 1

Yeah, I live with my mum however my dad who lives at anotehr address is on as a named driver! It took off £1400 off my last policy. Wish I had known sooner about it when I first started driving. Might not have had to pay £2800 for my first policy.

God, I paid £800 including breakdown for my first year and I felt ripped off. I was 19 at the time.

Have a look on moneysavingexpert, that website will give you good advice on first time insurance policies. Having a named driver on your policy who has no points or accidents in their history will help massively though. I've been driving 8 years and I still put my dad on mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

A relative of my partner only just recently passed his 18th birthday and then was successful passing his driving test almost immediately. He had saved and bought himself a small car - a 2001 Peugeot 104. The insurance company wanted an astronomic amount for cover (I don't recall exactly how much) but it was almost half as much again as he paid for the car!  He was directed to Aviva and told they can supply a 'black box' which works a bit like a sat-nav where they can monitor the speeds he does and the style  of driving he usually uses. Apparently it can tell if you are speeding in a restricted area, corner too hard or accelerate/brake too harshly. This reduced his Fully comp insurance down to around £120 per month! Less than 1/3rd of what was being asked for on various comparison websites. That may be one avenue to look down.