Self defence and security guards

SM_Banned

18 hours ago, Stephen Maize said:

No, they stain the assailant and disorient him so it helps you to get away. It is NOT useless.

Piffle.  All they'll really do is annoy them than you ruined their £30 "EA7" tracksuit, and likely give you an extra kicking for it. 

• Like 3
  • Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• John Bernard

• Ether

• Father Jack

• BlueBob

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Piffle.  All they'll really do is annoy them than you ruined their £30 "EA7" tracksuit, and likely give you an extra kicking for it. 

After the Magna Carta was quoted i only need 'maritime law' to get a full house in freeman bingo.

Or he's been using it on himself 

Posted Images

18 hours ago, Stephen Maize said:

No, they stain the assailant and disorient him so it helps you to get away. It is NOT useless.

Good luck with that, I mean if you are betting your survival on being a quicker runner I hope you train daily. After the 3 seconds it takes to wipe out your eyes, you best be miles away because now they are properly angry

On 21/09/2019 at 10:04, BlueBob said:

can't se why he would be committing an offence, assuming they have followed the training they have been given. Perhaps there is exposure to civil claim if/when things go wrong and he is working outside his current roles and protections (employer's insurance)

I agree with you. No, he is not.

2 hours ago, Stephen Maize said:

Many times.

You've been wrong many times then.  By their nature they can't be either an incapacitant or irritant.  They would be illegal in the UK if they were.  All you will do is annoy someone, and this will result in a kicking.

• Like 1
On 23/09/2019 at 03:31, Stephen Maize said:

That you say it disorientates the assailant, would IMHO be enough to say it could or is likely to be classed as restricted / illegal to use.  At least in the format   & circs you are suggesting.

16 hours ago, Stephen Maize said:

Many times.

Wow, you must live in a rough area to have to use it many times....or as is more likely the case you’re lying.

Billy Blue Tac
38 minutes ago, SD said:

Wow, you must live in a rough area to have to use it many times....or as is more likely the case you’re lying.

Or he's been using it on himself 

Edited by Billy Blue Tac
  • Haha 3
  • 8 months later...
John Bernard
On 21/09/2019 at 11:16, sierragolf95 said:

No. Carrying any item in itself for self defence is a no and so is possession of a weapon similar to pepper spray, which is in fact a firearms offence

Can you explain why you say that "Carrying any item in itself for self defence is a no" please? 

Ether

No. Carrying any item in itself for self defence is a no and so is possession of a weapon similar to pepper spray, which is in fact a firearms offence

Not true, it must be a noxious substance. 

• Confused 1
Ether
15 minutes ago, John Bernard said:

Can you explain why you say that "Carrying any item in itself for self defence is a no" please? 

Any item made, intended or adapted to cause injury is an offensive weapon. 

There is no lawful defence of carrying an item for self defence, unless it is something you picked up at the moment. This of course does not mean you can pre-position weapons as that would be considered pre-arming. 

You may carry an item that isn’t intended, made or adapted to injure, but the burden of proof lies with that person. 

A whistle would be an example of something someone carries to defend unwanted attention, but is lawful.

Edited by Ether
BlueBob
3 hours ago, Ether said:

Not true, it must be a noxious substance. 

Are we really saying that pepper spray, as most people know it, would not be regarded as a noxious substance?  Or perhaps more correctly, that it has been excluded, perhaps by court results, as NOT being a noxious substance.  

Edited by BlueBob
Father Jack
3 hours ago, Ether said:

You may carry an item that isn’t intended, made or adapted to injure, but the burden of proof lies with that person. 

Really? Almost anything can be used as an "intended" offensive weapon. I happen to have a Parker Jotter pen in my pocket, is that illegal? No. Could it be used as an "intended" offensive weapon? Yes, absolutely. 

John Bernard

Excuse me I am learning my way around this site. The reason why I asked about carrying weapons for self defence is that I was taught differently when I joined The Met 42 years ago. If something has changed I would like to know what exactly.