Vauxhall Omega

Zach Embleton

Zach Embleton

what did everyone think of the Vauxhall Omega's used by several forces during the 1990s and 2000s

Member of Public

Well being aged 24, these were one of the traffic cars of my childhood! As a small boy I used to look at them and think; "I want to be a traffic cop when I'm older" :D

Personally I love Omegas. Apparently not as reliable as German cars (although I can't personally corroborate that), but stunning motors nonetheless. To me, most of the latest cars (the Insignia etc) are ugly and poorly designed in comparison.

My local force had a handful of Omegas up until around 05. Some later versions in battenburg and some earlier jam sandwich liveried versions. I always remember the jam sandwich ones having a message on the side; "IF YOU DRINK - LET OTHERS DRIVE", for some reason this seemed unique to the Omegas, never saw it on any of the other traffic cars.

An elite version was used in the TVP proactive unit featured on the early episodes of Road Wars. The officers really put them through their paces, ramming bandit cars etc and they stood up to it. As I understand it, these were unique cars as this manual gearbox variant of the 3.2 V6 was only ever available to the police, with only the auto version being available to civilians. Would love to track down and own one. 

• Like 1
BlueBob

The V7 3.2 afaik was a later model with the earlier being a 3.0.   I’d say it filled a gap against the ford Granada transition to Mondeo.   

I've never driven Job omegas obviously, but I have driven them day to day.  Not bad cars.  Not a patch on the ex-job GSi 3000 I picked up at the auctions though.  That thing was rapid, and it looked pretty standard as they hadn't rebadged it after stripping the markings off it.

Member of Public
3 hours ago, BlueBob said:

The V7 3.2 afaik was a later model with the earlier being a 3.0.   I’d say it filled a gap against the ford Granada transition to Mondeo.   

If I'm right they changed from 3.0 to 3.2 in 2000?

Zach Embleton

yeah they did change from 3.0 to 3.2, might have been '99 though?

Member of Public
2 hours ago, Zach Embleton said:

yeah they did change from 3.0 to 3.2, might have been '99 though?

1999 would coincide with the facelift so sounds highly plausible, but for some reason I'm sure there were 3.0 post-facelift cars on W and possibly X plates on road wars. I may be wrong though.